Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

- - - - -

Melancholic modular track: Still Breathing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZoeB

ZoeB

1000 Club

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • 78 topics
  • Joined 29-May 10
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/zoeblade

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:16 AM

#2 Cryptowen

Cryptowen

Quality Level: Very High

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,187 posts
  • 73 topics
  • Joined 28-January 10

Posted 23 June 2018 - 11:02 AM

this track has a number of things going for it but tbh what stood out most to me on first listen was the subtle use of the stereo field

also that shot of the computer waveform display at 3:43 was dope, could be a gif on its own

#3 ZoeB

ZoeB

1000 Club

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • 78 topics
  • Joined 29-May 10
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/zoeblade

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Thanks!

I tend to double my bassline parts, and it finally occurred to me that instead of simply playing the exact same notation twice, I should copy and paste that part's notation, then change it a bit, so it comes in on one channel before the other (except for extreme balancing purposes, the lone recording starts off centred then pans aside to make way for its double), and there's one bar where I alternate dropping the notes for some fun stereo bouncing around.  The kind of thing I'd do back in my tracking days.

That waveform editing was my attempt at rhythmic muting, a simpler kind of gating, but it ended up easier to simply toggle the volume between zero and the regular volume... another tracking trick I used to do with sustained notes with more dynamic timbres, come to think of it.