IGNORED

I need to buy a turntable

Guest JohnTqs

Guest JohnTqs

i've got a Hamilton Electronics record player with built in speakers that i've used a few times, but the needle has always been shit so i didn't use it much. i've tried looking for a new one online but i cannot find it..

i want one just for playing records, and it needs to be 100 dollars or less.

also, this may be a noob question, but if i bought the turntable could i just plug computer speakers into it until i get a real setup? i don't know much about record players but it seems like i should be able to just plug into the output right?

i've got a Hamilton Electronics record player with built in speakers that i've used a few times, but the needle has always been shit so i didn't use it much. i've tried looking for a new one online but i cannot find it..

i want one just for playing records, and it needs to be 100 dollars or less.

also, this may be a noob question, but if i bought the turntable could i just plug computer speakers into it until i get a real setup? i don't know much about record players but it seems like i should be able to just plug into the output right?

No I don't think you could just plug the computer speakers into it as vinyl requires amplification. If your speakers could rig up to an amp then it'd be fine (provided you check voltages and shit to make sure it doesn't blow).

You could however possibly plug the vinyl into the computer (depending on connections) and through some software have it run through the PC to those speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSLX250H-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265857229&sr=8-3

a quick search gives me this one

Adapters and shit should sort you out...

Personally I have this turntable to just casually listen to stuff

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ion-Profile-LP-Vinyl-Archiving-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1265857509&sr=8-1

with some tower held KEF speakers (massive speakers sitting on top of metal stands. Think of it like a wine glass if you will)

You can only plug it into a PC if the Turntable has a preamp. Most new ones do, though. Otherwise you have to plug it into the Phono inputs on an Amplifier. There are some cheap Turntables out there, though. I think Sony sells one that even has a USB output. I think its around $100.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Audio Techinca lp60 could be had for around $100 -- it has a built in preamp. You could get a Behringer UCA202 or similar (around $20) for linein if you don't have a good soundcard.

There is a USB version for around $200 as well.

Hmmm just found this (although beware mailing turntables):

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PSLX250H-Turntable/dp/B00005T3XH

I've never used a Sony turntable before, but I assume they're all pretty much the same at this price. I've actually owned the Audio Technica before.

As far as just plugging SPEAKERs in, you need one with an actual amp built in, not just a preamp. A preamp adjusts a low level signal to line level.

go for a second hand turntable from the 80s... like an old marantz or sansui or something... usually older stuff has excellent build quality and sounds great - check out pawn shops and stuff.

Go thrift store shopping or to a pawn shop, like BCM suggested, and get one for $15-20 then spend the rest on a new cartridge like a Ortofon OM3E or Shure M97xE. If all you are doing is listening to the records and not scratching or constantly scribbling about looking for samples you can get a belt driven table, which is most likely what you will find.

I just purchased my second turntable, which is arriving today, that I'm quite excited about. I grabbed a Pro-Ject Xpression III with a Grado Prestige Gold cartridge... blissful analogue listening is itching at my angular gyrus.

Bought a second hand Technics 1210 Mk2 the other week, then proceeded to buy the WRONG STYLUS for my cartridge. Did very nearly go for a Pro-ject Genie but spotted the Technics on Ebay, for pickup about 20 miles up the road.

Gonna spunk a load of money on some jazz records the next time i get a free afternoon

Guest JohnTqs

Go thrift store shopping or to a pawn shop, like BCM suggested, and get one for $15-20 then spend the rest on a new cartridge like a Ortofon OM3E or Shure M97xE. If all you are doing is listening to the records and not scratching or constantly scribbling about looking for samples you can get a belt driven table, which is most likely what you will find.

I just purchased my second turntable, which is arriving today, that I'm quite excited about. I grabbed a Pro-Ject Xpression III with a Grado Prestige Gold cartridge... blissful analogue listening is itching at my angular gyrus.

could i just buy one of those cartridges and put it on the record player i have now? will it be compatible?

Hmm I'm not sure... can you take the current cartridge out or can you only replace the stylus? I see they sell replacement needles from the Hamilton's website. If you want to do it right, go find an older turntable, get a decent phono preamp (like this one) and you will be sitting happy for around around $120-130 total for table, cartridge, and phono preamp... if you shop around.

I also should mention all of this will sound shit if you don't have proper source to begin with.. so you should also invest in some cleaning supplies for the vinyl. You can find some DIY record cleaning liquids if you google around. I spray on my solution, take my brush and use it to track the liquid into the grooves, plus uplift any dust/dirt, then I take my hand held vacuum cleaner, with proper attachment head, and suck away all the nasties.

Guest JohnTqs

but i don't want to buy an old turntable if i've already got one. plus how will i know if a cartridge i buy will be compatible with that new one?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it looks like the table has a built in phonostage so it should be able to plug right into the receiver.

That'll do you just fine... you don't have to worry about proper gauge since you wont be pumping out much juice to begin with. May your analogue listening be blissful and empowering.

Guest JohnTqs

TTHHAANNKKSS.....this was really frustrating, i ordered the speakers and turntable about 2 weeks ago and they finally arrived today. i forgot the receiver! fuck!

thanks again

Archived