IGNORED

Does Anybody Sonically Recognize Any of BoCs Gear?

Guest Spittal

Guest Spittal

Like, certain compressors, or synths, or eqs?

I swear that I hear the UA-1176LN on "Slow This Bird Down", I dont know why it just has certain overtones. I could be very wrong, I haven't spent that much time listening to the 1176, but I think they used one on that track (and maybe more).

Does anybody else recognize anything just by listening?

definitely anteaters. i feel like threads like this are generally looked down upon because the emphasis shouldn't be in emulation, but inspiration. that said, who doesn't think about this shit? personally, i can't really tell because i've only had hands on experience with a select few (a very shitty few) synths. i think phoscyon sounds just as good as a 303, though i'm sure pretty much everyone here would rape my eyeballs out sideways for saying that. i'd guess they've used pretty much all the old school drum machines... obviously an 808. probably got an sh-101 and for some reason juno-106 seems like a very boc synth. past that, :cisfor:

Guest Lube Saibot

I think it's perfectly reasonable to guess about synths and generators and the like. But compressors? Give me a fucking break.

Guest Spittal

definitely anteaters. i feel like threads like this are generally looked down upon because the emphasis shouldn't be in emulation, but inspiration. that said, who doesn't think about this shit? personally, i can't really tell because i've only had hands on experience with a select few (a very shitty few) synths. i think phoscyon sounds just as good as a 303, though i'm sure pretty much everyone here would rape my eyeballs out sideways for saying that. i'd guess they've used pretty much all the old school drum machines... obviously an 808. probably got an sh-101 and for some reason juno-106 seems like a very boc synth. past that, :cisfor:

Oh I agree completely with the inspiration, not emulation bit. To me it's like finding out what paintbrush a painter used, or what lens a photographer used. It's not like I'm going to paint the same picture, or take the same photo, but I would like to know how they got a certain effect here or there.

The thing is BoC is mystery, and that is what it is all about. That's (one of the reasons) why I am so into their music.

At any rate, I think RDJ said it best when he said "Too many sheep, not enough shepards", when asked what his most hated thing about the music industry was.

Guest Spittal

I think it's perfectly reasonable to guess about synths and generators and the like. But compressors? Give me a fucking break.

WHOA WHOA WHOA,

Compressors are WAAAYYY more widely used than synths! to me compressors are 10 times more important than synths, they are used in virtually every recording.

Then again you're talking to an Audio Engineer here.

Guest Lube Saibot

I'm not saying compressors aren't important or can't be used creatively, I'm saying that you're a pretentious twat if you think you can recognize A PARTICULAR compressor.

Then again I'm talking to an Audio Engineer here.

Why don't you put a scan of your degree in your sig, so you can save yourself the effort of having to tell us you're an AUDIO ENGINEER before we fall on our knees and suck your pee-pee in awe.

Guest Spittal

I'm not saying compressors aren't important or can be used creatively, I'm saying hat you're a pretentious twat if you think you can recognize A PARTICULAR compressor.

Why don't you put a scan of your degree in your sig, so you can save yourself the effort of having to tell us you're and AUDIO ENGINEER before we fall on our knees and suck your pee-pee in awe.

Yikes, that seems a bit much.

I didn't mean to offend you, or put across the notion that I think that I'm better than you or anything. I don't even know you, so..? Also, I am a little bit too proud of my title, but I hardly think that I'm better than anyone else out there, in fact I still can't mix a song worth a damn. As for compressors, certain ones have a very unique sound, and the sound of the 1176 is just one that sticks in my head and being a compressor that was (and still is) very popular I just thought maybe someone thought of "Slow This Bird Down" the same way. I'm probably full of shit, but I think "pretentious twat" might be a little harsh?

I didn't really want to stir up shit 'round here. Sorry.

Guest Lube Saibot

I'm not saying compressors aren't important or can be used creatively, I'm saying hat you're a pretentious twat if you think you can recognize A PARTICULAR compressor.

Why don't you put a scan of your degree in your sig, so you can save yourself the effort of having to tell us you're and AUDIO ENGINEER before we fall on our knees and suck your pee-pee in awe.

I didn't mean to offend you, or put across the notion that I think that I'm better than you or anything. I don't even know you, so..? Also, I am a little bit too proud of my title, but I hardly think that I'm better than anyone else out there, in fact I still can't mix a song worth a damn. As for compressors, certain ones have a very unique sound, and the sound of the 1176 is just one that sticks in my head and being a compressor that was (and still is) very popular I just thought maybe someone thought of "Slow This Bird Down" the same way. I'm probably full of shit, but I think "pretentious twat" might be a little harsh?

Well say that man. Don't say "i can hear compressor x". It just reminded me of this joke on idmforums that went something like "oh this is definitely an aphex track. i can hear his hard-drive signature" or something like that. :lol:

That might have been a wee bit harsh yes, I'm sorry as well. No homo.

i can definitely hear the Elektron Machinedrum's handclaps on Peacock Tail, from The Campfire Headphase.

i can't remember what synth engine, but the handclaps are definitely from the Machinedrum (at least that's what my ears tell me)

Would you mind explaining what a compressor is to me? I have no fucking clue other than assumptions based on the word "compressor."

Guest Spittal

Would you mind explaining what a compressor is to me? I have no fucking clue other than assumptions based on the word "compressor."

It makes sound less dynamic. It just lowers the amplitude of an audio signal below some set level. So if the sound goes above that level, it turns it down. That's why it's called a compressor because it "compresses" the distance from the loudest point in an audio signal to the quietest point.

It's kinda a stupid thing, but makes sounds sound a lot smoother.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greg Reason

I'm not saying compressors aren't important or can't be used creatively, I'm saying that you're a pretentious twat if you think you can recognize A PARTICULAR compressor.

1176s actually do have a very recognizable sound. Couldn't tell you the sonic difference between the LN and SE models though.

And it doesn't sound to me like they used one on 'Slow This Bird Down' but gear-spotting is a little daft when clearly the person operating the gear is the most important part of the equation. Put a twat behind the desk in Ocean Way and he'll still come out sounding like a bunch of rubbish.

• 5 years later...
Guest heath

Sorry to dig this one back up, but I recognize the sine oscillator from the Akai S1000 all over. The beginning of Turquoise Hexagon Sun for example I believe is S1000.

Guest Chesney

Fuck, what a car crash thread haha.

Samples and SH101 all over MHTRTC. As for anything else, everything is affected so much it's really hard to tell. I'd go with there being far more samples even in later stuff than you imagine.

*states obvious*

Guest Chesney

I can hear opto over Fet though.

Sorry, that makes "audio engineer" dude sound bad. He seemed cool, the other guy though can fuck his self for being a child with no experience other than his first DAW and the internet.

Go! Audio engineer!

Guest heath

I believe they used the S1000 for both samples and pure sound generation. Quite a bit as an actual synth.

Archived