IGNORED

Janet Beat - Pioneering Knob Twiddler (Trunk Records)

dcom

Before we go on, Janet Beat does exist. This is not some invented composer, cunningly dreamt up so I can sell some modern sonic noodlings as old ones to unsuspecting record buyers. I say this as it has happened in this market before and her name could easily arouse some suspicion. But yes, Janet Beat actually exists and she’s certainly one of the best examples of nominative determinism I have ever personally come across. However, even though Janet Beat does make music, she does not make beats.

Very few people have heard of her or heard her music. And, with this release, as we are entering a rather crowded musical market (one full of wondrous new old discoveries, represses, reissues etc), I thought hard about what to call it. Having batted about things like “Electronic Lady”, “The Beat Goes On” and other such obvious tripe, I looked long and hard at the photo she sent me of her in her home studio in the 1960s. The one on the front of this sleeve. The album title quickly became obvious, and I sent it over to Janet explaining that although it was a little suggestive, it was true and would work very well on lots of levels. It was also relevant and a little attention grabbing. Janet instantly replied and gave me the OK, saying that as she was over 80, she’d leave the cool decisions to me.

Musically on this album we have her electro-acoustic compositions that have survived, dating from 1978 onwards. As you will hear, Janet is a unique talent, conjuring all sorts of sublime musical visions from limited resources. Some of it sounds like Forbidden Planet, some of it sounds like it has come from another planet.

Janet Beat - Pioneering Knob Twiddler (Trunk Records)

Spoiler

Patron saint of WATMM?

Edited by dcom