IGNORED

Dungen - En Är För Mycket och Tusen Aldrig Nog (OUT NOW!)

J3FF3R00

Just found out about this today and insta-bought the colored vinyl …

https://dungen.bandcamp.com/album/en-r-f-r-mycket-och-tusen-aldrig-nog

Gotta say, it’s the first release of theirs that didn’t immediately grab me by the ears and blow my socks off. I’m usually completely soaked in jizz by each new dungen LP but I’m shocked that this one hasn’t clicked yet. 
I’m going to have to give it a few more spins to be sure but something worries me that it may suffer from pandemic-related vibe shifts or something. Anyway, not a problem giving these boys my $35. They are fucking legends. 
 ?? ???‍♂️??

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

• J3FF3R00 changed the title to Dungen - En Är För Mycket och Tusen Aldrig Nog (OUT NOW!)
  • 4 months later...

Got this in the mail a couple weeks ago, finally!
After a good little break between listens, I’m completely changing my opinion. It’s another banger, surprise surprise. These guys just can’t quit dropping the dopest of jams.  
The first track is a little bit strange, if you’re used to their usual vibe.  It’s the first track of theirs that uses programmed drums in the place of an acoustic kit (unless I’m forgetting something). The rest of the record returns to form as 100% Swedish, liquid-brain, rock n roll gold. 
The biggest surprise on the record is that the first track on side b is a pretty standard dungen tune… although it’s over chopped amen break jungle madness instead of acoustic drums! Not only that, but it comes complete with sub bass drops! Then the rest of side b is back to business as usual. 

If you are a fan this release fits in with the rest. Packed with hooks, blistering swirly psych guitars, thundering skip-along drums, dreamy flute solos and groovy bass lines. 

Dungen/Dungen 

Edited by J3FF3R00

16 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

The biggest surprise on the record is that the first track on side b is a pretty standard dungen tune… although it’s over chopped amen break jungle madness instead of acoustic drums! Not only that, but it comes complete with sub bass drops! 

The next Dungen album will be a full on jungle record made by Gustav on an MPC. Apparently he's been on a jungle binge for a few years, coping with sobriety by buying expensive white labels on Discogs. 

Check out this podcast if you understand Swedish. 

Love the new album, btw. 

• Burger 1

2 hours ago, psn said:

The next Dungen album will be a full on jungle record made by Gustav on an MPC. Apparently he's been on a jungle binge for a few years, coping with sobriety by buying expensive white labels on Discogs. 

Check out this podcast if you understand Swedish. 

Love the new album, btw. 

Holy smokes! For real??? I remember seeing a lockdown-era instagram story on the dungen account of gustav spinning some jungle and thinking “how can this guy get deeper into my musical brain?” but I guess that’s how. Very curious. #popcorn

I don’t understand Swedish, unfortunately. Is there any easy way to find a translation? Probably not…the best I could do is copy and paste the description in google translate, but it isn’t much more than you said: 

“After being hated by indie Stockholm for his debut album, Gustav Ejstes, aka Dungen, decided to ignore the pop career. He began studying at a folk music school and recorded a second album that was planned to be his last. That record was an unexpected success in the US where a hip audience worshiped the acid-marinated seventies sound. 18 years later, Dungen is a big name on the international psychedelic scene. At Strage's home, he talks about being a hip-hopper in Skövde, about scratching records, about being harassed by raggers, about being captivated by Jimi Hendrix's fuzzed riffs, about taking 30 trips of LSD, about the new album "One is too much and a thousand is not enough" and about how he replaced the kick the drugs gave him by buying insanely expensive jungle twelves on Discogs.”

Edited by J3FF3R00