IGNORED

Mastering

Guest Silke

Guest version2006

gear you can't afford (Prism/Lavry/etc)

a room you can't afford to build.

or...

l2.jpg

send it to a pro. One part of mastering that most folks forget is factoring in that a ME's ears are not going to go for the minutiae, they are going for a big picture. By the time I've sent anything to a ME I've lost objective control, it's usually time for a new set of ears.

Guest test pattern

if your doing an album, its very important to master the tracks to all have a consistent volume from track to track...use light compression (soft knee, low ratio, about -30db threshhold.....) and multiband compression can be very nice....some eqing may be necessary....try not to over do any type of effect...

l2.jpg

i like that custom skin with the (500$) wooden knobs but i was wondering:

where did the 'model'-select option go in your skin? that drop-down menu where you could choose the different limiting models; 'Semi Seperated', 'Extreme Analog', 'Loud and Proud', etc..? i often use the 'Basic Profile' but sometimes i like the characteristics of another model..

btw, TFTT, that is a wicked NM patch!!

btw, TFTT, that is a wicked NM patch!!

Yeh, not alot of people consider the NM as a mastering device but it works quite well....

there are several patches actually on that page... Per Villez's analog feel patch with the distorted signal used as side chain source on the compressors is lush...

i don't have a NM but i gotta say that those patches are very well made, especially that 'non-linear' multibandprocessor looks interesting.

micro's are becoming more and more tempting - if only to check out the sound of those patches!

i don't have a NM but i gotta say that those patches are very well made, especially that 'non-linear' multibandprocessor looks interesting.

micro's are becoming more and more tempting - if only to check out the sound of those patches!

I can upload plenty of NM sounds.. although for these it'd probably be best to do like a pre/post thing, I could post a loop with this and without it for comparisson....

I posted a really brief demo of dueling tempo controlled LFO's wanking off dueling filters to the old "Nord Modular" thread if you wanna hear it there.. I could get together a few more dedicated sounds and oddities..

Also whenever the next P.168 is I plan on doing an EP titled "Experements in Algorhithmic Composition", with nothing but Nord Modular generated algorhithmic compositions.

As an example, this patch changes the pitch of two Oscillators (and quantizes them to actual notes), basing the pitch changes on the iterative algorithm X = Y * X^2 (where Y = Y -A).

There's also some noodling going on with LFO's changing pitch values of X, as well as filter values (the really long 699 second sine LFO there basically makes this one 12 minute long swell).

Can't record any sound output at the moment since I'm at work.. hell, I don't even know how this sounds yet! But, to me, the uncertainty is half the fun of iterative composition.

Archived