IGNORED

minimoog

Guest môak

I have arturia's minimoog V, and I love it.

its sounds amazing. sure, maybe it doesnt sound 100% like a real moog, but you know what? you cant play 20 different patches on one real moog... but with software you can open as many as your computer can handle.

worth it just for that reason, imo.

One of the primary reasons to own a MM is because it is fun as shit to play it.

i totally agree, well, i played a prophet 5 in a music store together with a friend. he hates synth music but he admitted that synth was totally fucking awesome. twisting the knobs is such a different experience, and stacking the oscillators to get a fucking amazing bass sound

• 3 weeks later...

Kraftwerks synths might have been considered junk at the time. But I bet they sound great. They were no doubt discrete analogue. AN sh-101 is a great synth too. A minimoog is a great synth also. Get a great synth. Learn it. Be ready for the long haul. Making music outside of the computer is way more expensive but is much more rewarding. I say start of with great stuff right away.

Guest Ron Manager

To be fair, you ask so many stupid questions that quite honestly you deserve it. I'm actually a REALLY nice guy.

Yeah, same here I'm not really a bitter cunt.

i don't think anyone on watmm is. 'tis just the nature of internet messageboards.

my advice to you mr. magoo, is that if you've got the money, invest in legitimate copies of ableton and reason before buying a minimoog.

Playing with Reason and ableton is different than owning a Minimoog. For one thing Reason and Ableton will shoot down in price as soon as you buy it. Where as the Minimoog might MAKE you money if you sell it later. There are many artists that would make make music with analogue synths but be lost making it on a computer. I think it is BAD advice to get something people recommend for a novice because its the safe choice. I think he should get something that excites him. If you can't get into ableton it doesn't mean you can't get into a minimoog.

Playing with Reason and ableton is different than owning a Minimoog. For one thing Reason and Ableton will shoot down in price as soon as you buy it. Where as the Minimoog might MAKE you money if you sell it later. There are many artists that would make make music with analogue synths but be lost making it on a computer. I think it is BAD advice to get something people recommend for a novice because its the safe choice. I think he should get something that excites him. If you can't get into ableton it doesn't mean you can't get into a minimoog.

I totally agree with this. I've been making music exclusively with the computer ever since i started, and it's gotten rather stale, until recently, when I spent a large amount of money on an analogue mixer, monitors, new soundcard, a microphone, drum machines and synths, the whole shiznit. it certainly wasn't cheap, but the money came from an unexpected source and I wanted to spend it on my music more than anything else.

It's unbelivable how much it has done for my creative aspect. the difference between hands-on gear is so huge. i've learnt most of my musical knowledge with the computer, but nothing is as fun as bringing it to practice with the physical stuff I have. The way the mixer affects the sound makes it much more personal, and it really feels more like 'my' music bringing it all together like this, knowing the sound si travelling between all these cables and circuits, through an AD-converter in and out of my computer. the smell, the touch of levelling and EQing with the mixer, plugging stuff the way you want to, it just adds a whole other dimension. i can imagine alot of people (naysayers) disagreeing with this, claiming the arguments for getting hardware/analogue stuff or something like that are idiotic mental things, but i have to say it just did this for me, the thing i loved doing had gotten so soul-less and stale and this turned it into a much more personal and tangible thing.

I dunno what to say on the topic, it's different for everyone. for some, software might be the best way since it's so flexible and adaptable, you can make it personal too, maybe programming your own stuff or just the way you use the tools you have, while for others, the approach to music making may completely change with hardware and become much more favorable. but 60-70% of my music is still going to be coming directly out of the computer and I love ableton live. maybe i'll look into hardware sequencing solutions in the future but right now i'm perfectly comfortable with visual DAW's.

as for myself, i just know I don't regret my purchases an iota...

for the novice i'd recommend just looking into what you make and comparing it with what you want to make. just getting gear isn't going to improve your music, my music is still as shitty and lazy as it was before i got the stuff, but it's changed my views on it, the mental aspect, how it feels to me. i still remember how i've often rather listen to music than make my own, now i can't wait for every single free time i have to sit down and play around with the gear. how are others going to enjoy your music if you don't like it yourself?

Guest αnalogue ψings
the minimogue vst fucking rules, i use it all the time for phat bass and analord sounds

like i (kind of) said in Chris' synth lines thread, the minimogue vst on his Sub EP sounds a LOT like an FM synth in mono mode. That's not a bad thing at all (Tango N Vectif).

many of history's greatest instruments were failed imitations of other instruments :grin:

Guest Ron Manager

i understand your point, though you've missed the point of my post; that being that magoo has made countless threads about the problems he's been encountering with his pirate copies of ableton and reason, so my suggestion to him still stands: he should sort that out first before buying another synth.

Archived