IGNORED

Ableton Question

b born droid

For example, when you're programming in a drum beat on a MIDI track, why does there not appear to be an keyboard shortcut for muting certain notes instead of having to Right Click > Activate/Deactive Note(s)?? It's fucking annoying and time consuming having to do it in that manner.

you dont even need to double click - you just click

mo

edit: of course that only applies in draw mode - which of course is what you should be using for this type of thing

^^^^^^^^^^^^ yeah

or when you record the song. after all the midi infomation is on the song page (TAB if yuor on the arrangement page)

just edit from there.

like highlight a bar ctrl and drag into the place you want it, then click edit and bobs your uncle.

or just bus all the drum tracks to seperate outs and use the function keys to mute any particular track at any particluar time.

or just read the fuckin manual

hmm...i think we need some clarification on your question.

are you just looking to mute the note, but still keep it in the midi track for future reference? if so, ism's and mosca's suggestions might not apply...

my best recommendation is making a copy of the original loop with all of your midi notes in it, and keep it in a seperate slot in the midi track. then, you can make as many permutations as you want using the click-delete in draw mode that mosca mentioned, and still have your original as a backup.

don't know if this helps at all...oh well...

p.s. there is a keyboard shortcut for this, o'course: "delete"

Yes sorry I should have clarified I was talking about muting the notes but keeping it there for future reference. Sometimes I like to for a little off-the-hoof mixing and what not (dropping out/in hi hats, kicks etc).

I shall try your idea. That should make it easier. Thanks.

Thank you Mosca, I shall also try your idea, even if it was hard to find behind your hostility.

Guest Captain Cooper

Try selecting them by shift-clicking the piano key to the left of the piano roll (or the name of the sample if you're using Impulse) to select all the notes on that line and dragging the velocities down to zero in edit mode (the one that isn't a pencil)

oh right, now i think i understand the practical application of what u want to do...

and my head is asking why u dont just mute or unmute the drum parts concerned, on the fly, as and when you don't want the notes to sound.

assuming you're using a drum machine that has mutes on each part - such as the Impulse for obvious example.

Is this not all you're after?

and my head is asking why u dont just mute or unmute the drum parts concerned, on the fly, as and when you don't want the notes to sound.

assuming you're using a drum machine that has mutes on each part - such as the Impulse for obvious example.

It does? Awww shucks. Sometimes I'm blind to obvious things.

Thanks and apologies for wasting your time with a pathetic question. :fear:

Archived