IGNORED

Gruff Rhys - Candylion

Boomkat review:

Delivering on the promise of the title-track single that came out at the end of last year, Super Furry Animal Gruff Rhys has released a corking new solo long-payer, that manages to feel simultaneously retro and experimental in its approach to pop music. By the time we get to ‘The Court Of King Arthur’ it’s clear that his experience helping to compile the Welsh Rare Beat compilation for Finders Keepers has had no small effect on his approach to producing this album. It’s reedy lead guitars and melodic eccentricities have ‘70s psychedelia written all over them. This is no tongue-in cheek nostalgia fest though, the quality of writing is right up there and doesn’t dip from start to finish. Sean O’Hagan of the High Llamas is on hand to deliver some luscious strings, particularly on the beautifully cinematic ‘Lonesome Words’: its epic old-school songcraft is somewhere between Nick Drake and early Scott Walker. Elsewhere, ‘Beacon In The Darkness’ provides a beautiful take on Neil Young-styled lapsteel country rock, and of course, that title track is just exquisite. Ace.

Sounds very catchy from the samples, looking forward to this one! I think it's already out in the UK...

Guest awkward

didn't care for the samples much to be honest. except the drums on one track. but i guess i was over my superfurries interest long ago anyway.

I liked the first solo album despite it being in Welsh yet I didnt really know why I liked anything about it, maybe the novelty of it and the fact I enjoyed Love Kraft (well the first 4 songs). I've only listened to this twice so far but I really like it but know its not something I'll ever listen to much. It's one of those albums that fits a weird little calm mood but no more

I used to love them but haven't really heard anything since Rings Around The World, I'm not a big fan of their slow sweeping string ballad things they seem to love now. The run of Guerilla, Outspaced and Mwng is a great run of albums though. Arnofio sounds like a punk, psychedelic Beach Boys.

the fact I enjoyed Love Kraft (well the first 4 songs).

What!!??!!!!???? I think Frequency is one of the best tracks they have recorded (listening to it now :happy: ) Those string arrangements get me every time...

I never really got into them but really loved a few songs, mainly singles scattered over their career. I only checked them out because of the song Gruff appears on Mogwai's "Rock Action" (Dial: Revenge) and I used to be a Mogwai obsessive. Ho Hum

Guest Fat Roland
Sean O’Hagan of the High Llamas is on hand to deliver some luscious strings, particularly on the beautifully cinematic ‘Lonesome Words’

Blimey, the High Llamas, that takes me back. SFA rock even though I do prefer their Fuzzy Logic days. Still, I'll be getting this. You've got to, haven'tcha?

Guest awkward

notsureif anyone cares but:

Boom Bip & Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals fame first worked together on a track for Bip’s 2005 album ‘Blue Eyed in the Red Room’. Following huge support from Radio 1s Zane Lowe show and the NME, The Do's and the Dont's was released as a ltd 7” and it was only time before they got back together for round 2…

However, nobody guessed that a week in a London studio would build the foundations of a concept album based around the life of 80s automobile impresario John Delorean. Neon Neon are joined by a various guests including Fat Lip from The Pharcyde, Spank Rock and more TBC… join Neon Neon's MySpace for progress reports. http://www.myspace.com/neonx2

Archived