IGNORED

Vermona DRM1 MKII

Guest dugbert

Guest dugbert

http://www.vermona.com/en/produkte/drm/drm1.html

$700

anyone ever used one of these?

or know of any similar products?

i've been dreaming of something like this for a long time, i didn't even know it existed until about an hour ago. i had thought of building something like this with invidual modules before, but it would be amazingly expensive to make a path of modules for just 1 decent drum sound. i kind of want to get another nord modular just for percussion too...

Guest analogue wings

$700

i've been dreaming of something like this for a long time, i didn't even know it existed until about an hour ago. i had thought of building something like this with invidual modules before, but it would be amazingly expensive to make a path of modules for just 1 decent drum sound. i kind of want to get another nord modular just for percussion too...

No patch storage, plus doesnt emulate any "classic" analogue drums.

Because of the former, it would be a bit yuk to use as your main drum. But if you already had a "workhorse" percussion source, it would be knob twiddling fun for days.

There is a similar product from the now defunct MAM which is literally the same box less one or two of the modules. You can also get the clap and the kick/tom modules as single unit standalones from TBS.

The Jomox Airbase 99 is an analogue drumkit with no knobs - BYO knobs :sorcerer:

Apart from those there are no analogue drum modules out there.

Oh, and you can get single drums as modular synth type modules - 808 kick, 909 kick, etc.

$700

Because of the former, it would be a bit yuk to use as your main drum. But if you already had a "workhorse" percussion source, it would be knob twiddling fun for days.

There is a similar product from the now defunct MAM which is literally the same box less one or two of the modules. You can also get the clap and the kick/tom modules as single unit standalones from TBS.

The Jomox Airbase 99 is an analogue drumkit with no knobs - BYO knobs :sorcerer:

Oh, and you can get single drums as modular synth type modules - 808 kick, 909 kick, etc.

i wonder how the 808 kick and snare Analog systems modules stand up to the real thing.

i realized after getting my jomox xbase 09 that id much rather be using 808 kicks and snares.

i feel you on the preset problems with the vermona, sometimes i make very pleasurable sounds on the modular and am too lazy to write down my patch connections.

Guest dugbert

yeah i've seen those 808 modules, but the cost of cabinet/power supply plus several drum modules + a few filters or something would probably cost twice as much as this Vermona

Guest dugbert

i'm not too worried about the patch storage

even if it's not emulating any specific drums, does it really sound too 'yucky' qualify as a workhorse percussion source? i'd like it to be capable of something similar to an 808 kick, but my goal isn't exact emulation. i want it to be flexible, but still capable of something similar to the classics.

i wish i could just try it out, but i'd have to drive hundreds of miles ...

i don't know, maybe the money would be better spent on a pair of nord micro modulars dedicated to percussion?

right now i'm making most of my drum sounds on my G2, but they're all on one 'slot' so i can't route the individual sounds through other effects outside the nord.

$700

i wonder how the 808 kick and snare Analog systems modules stand up to the real thing.

i realized after getting my jomox xbase 09 that id much rather be using 808 kicks and snares.

i feel you on the preset problems with the vermona, sometimes i make very pleasurable sounds on the modular and am too lazy to write down my patch connections.

808 kicks > *

Proper 808 kick:

post-211-1170835191_thumb.jpg

Translation:

1ms pulse -> 4x amplified -> 12db resonant lp filter set @ ~49 hz with reso jacked into self oscillation -> 16x amplified -> a/d env -> add with bridged-t sine wave -> output.

A bridged t sine wave is a really simple osc circuit with two capacitors and a resistor between them (I believe), that will bounce an ever diminishing amount of current between them, back and forth, and the waveform looks like the picture in my bridged-t osc there.

You don't need to spend $1000.

Guest dugbert
You don't need to spend $1000.

ahh but i need more outputs!

heh

anyway thanks a lot for posting that screenshot

i read another post of yours a while back where you briefly described this patch, and i tried it out on my G2, but i couldn't get it quite right. should be able to do a lot better this time =]

fuck it. if i saved up 700+ for the Vermona, i could just about buy a second G2 !!

Guest dugbert

for your amusement, here is a shot of my g2 version of your patch

post-84-1170838355_thumb.jpg

however, there is no bridged-T osc module, so i substituted this other osc with similar parameters for the sake of adding a little click to my drum

i think i may be able to fake the bridge-T osc with the 'shape osc' module somehow though...

Excellent! Although the Perc Osc you used should be the bridged-t, thats what the perc osc module in the NM1 was anyhow.

Also, experiment with the delay times on both the perc osc and the a/d env, very fun when you get lonig overlapping delay times on them

Guest analogue wings

It pains me to not have an 808 snare, though I'm reasonably contented with the JoMoX's kicks. I bought an AirBase 99 because it was literally the only true analogue module with digital control (and presets). If there'd been an AirBase 88, even for way more money, i'd have got that.

Wasn't somebody going to design a X0XB0X type kit for an 808 clone? Wonder how that's going...

Guest analogue wings
even if it's not emulating any specific drums, does it really sound too 'yucky' qualify as a workhorse percussion source? i'd like it to be capable of something similar to an 808 kick, but my goal isn't exact emulation. i want it to be flexible, but still capable of something similar to the classics.

I never said the SOUND was yuck, just the thought of using it with no presets.

The sound reminds me of pre X0X electronica. Analogue drums, but without that familiarity, and not neccesarily "dance" oriented.

Here's a demo:

VERMONA.mp3

so, yeah... as with any analogue drum machine that's not an 808 or a 606, the snare is piss weak. sounds like it's a lot of fun to tweak the thing tho :sorcerer:

Guest test pattern

sounds pretty sweet...it would be super cool to hook this up to an electronic drum kit and actually play drums with analog sounds...

Guest dugbert

yeah that demo sounds great

but the more i think about it...

i think i will get a sampler + micro modular or something instead, which would be less money combined.

It pains me to not have an 808 snare, though I'm reasonably contented with the JoMoX's kicks. I bought an AirBase 99 because it was literally the only true analogue module with digital control (and presets). If there'd been an AirBase 88, even for way more money, i'd have got that.

Wasn't somebody going to design a X0XB0X type kit for an 808 clone? Wonder how that's going...

have you checked out the analog systems 808 snare modules? i think i might dish out for a bass and snare module since i already have a power suppy+ cabinent. the 909's best asset is the bass drum, i wish the snares and hi hats didnt sound so ass.

I never said the SOUND was yuck, just the thought of using it with no presets.

The sound reminds me of pre X0X electronica. Analogue drums, but without that familiarity, and not neccesarily "dance" oriented.

Here's a demo:

VERMONA.mp3

so, yeah... as with any analogue drum machine that's not an 808 or a 606, the snare is piss weak. sounds like it's a lot of fun to tweak the thing tho :sorcerer:

damn never heard that before, sounds fucking good

Guest analogue wings
have you checked out the analog systems 808 snare modules? i think i might dish out for a bass and snare module since i already have a power suppy+ cabinent. the 909's best asset is the bass drum, i wish the snares and hi hats didnt sound so ass.

Well, I know they exist, but I have no other modular plumbing, so it seems potentially impractical...

I like the hats on my 606, so I'm tempted by these internal midi retrofits

Guest analogue wings

Sound On Sound magazine on the Analog Solutions SD88 808 snare module:

I couldn't get it to sound even close to the original

:unhappy:

http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/Demos/LiveDemo1.mp3

http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/Demos/LiveDemo2.mp3

Project8_038.jpg

step in the line sir.

http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/phpbb2/index.php

Archived