IGNORED

New track, looking for ears: "Pleased to Meet You"

Guest sirhenry

Guest sirhenry

Hey

I haven't swapped reviews in a very long time, but for some reason I decide to now. I just finished the track a week or so ago. It's somewhere in the vicinity of digital hardcore or noisecore. You can download the track here:

http://smockpuppet.michaelb.org/music/smoc...to_meet_you.mp3

Tell me what you think--feel free to be honest.

I don't know if this is too hard-edged for the tastes around here...

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If you feel up to it, you can take a peek at my other music at http://smockpuppet.michaelb.org/ (although if you're going to listen to only one track, listen to the first link)

Anyway, I'd be happy to trade reviews. Just post a link, and I'll take a listen.

Cheers!

Guest tht! tne

that distortion is too soupy

listen to my bloody valentine to see how to use effects

i like the cello melody but the whole track seems juvenile and unimpressive

Guest Promo

Too much distortion. I like some of the edits but there is way too much distortion in this track. Musically sounds very nasty on the ears which I guess is the idea. I just had a thought that possibly my soundcard was playing up 'cause that amount of distortion in a track just seemed odd. For future productions cut the distortion off the whole mix.

Guest sirhenry

Well, big thanks for all of the listens!

I just had a thought that possibly my soundcard was playing up 'cause that amount of distortion in a track just seemed odd.

I'm personally perfectly happy with the amount of "soupy" distortion on the track -- of course, I listen to genres such as noisecore and technoid, which, as it seems, might not be highly popular genres around here. But, I suppose there's no accounting for taste... ;)

Of course, it is one of my first tracks with vocals, so if you were picking up some sloppiness there, that's totally understandable (I'm not very satisfied with the vocals myself).

If you want to listen to anything more of mine, you can check out some more digital hardcore (this time written in a boring timing signature) such as

http://smockpuppet.michaelb.org/music/smoc...et-the_fang.mp3 , or if your head is bursting with too much distortion, you can listen to one of my earlier space-jazz breakcore-ish tracks such as
http://smockpuppet.michaelb.org/music/02-s...ppet-spacer.mp3

Anyway, thanks again for the time!

Guest tht! tne

i kinda like the fang: reminds me of producer snafu's cunt face, i think which was a remix

spacer i like pretty good too i just don't get the need for all the loud noisiness in the others

"pleased to meet you" - i'm 22 seconds in and just hear plain ol distortion, nothing gripping me whatsoever in the ways of a tangible pattern that causes me to bob-n-weave semi/rhythmically. it comes out at 33-34 seconds to its "breakdown" or whatever, trying to have a little rhythm and some superhero leading synth, then comes a layer of drilly hammers that don't seem to take the foreground of the track, i can see that you built up to this, however it just seems like the drums are on the side of the track, as opposed to stepping to the forefront and compelling you to latch on and hold on for dear life.

distortion works well as a grimey element when it's taking something with rhythmic merit and accentuating it, you know, like taking something that's inherently catchy and modifying/filtering it and causing the track to go to extremes, wail if you will, or whatnot.

so when you get the distortion wholesale, like where the distortion itself is the whole thing, the novelty of the effect really loses out, as building up to a grimey/dark sound is where such a sound gets its moment in the sun.

there's a very misguided second reprise at 2:07 or so (even tho i wasn't particularly grabbed by the cut, there still for anything is a natural feel of momentum and whatnot, and this track stayed out past its bedtime in trying to come back for more. the problem is that when you reprise it at the end, a good track typically has more/the-final buildup applied, so the track cresendos, explodes, or downright rocks out before it parts ways with you. this just seemed to arbitrarily slow down towards its very-timely-death, then just come back and be the same thing once again. and the dropdown to comeback didn't really work the first time, so i do question using the exact same thing a second time. ---- now i'm still at 2:10ish, where it has a vocal sample tossed into the mix... i mean it seems ot have fury as the beats, which i can't really hold on to (the track just said "NIIIIICEEEE TO MEEEET YOU", as if i forgot the name of it already)

i dunno, it seemed a bit lost and aimless. in terms of overall sound i'd say if you're going to go around like it's hard and it's this and it's that, at least turn up the drums to the point where they overwhelm the distortion so people can geek out to the snare rushes if that's their thing.... tracks like this are never going to stand well ont heir own, but if they're a step in a learning process then at least they served a purpose, otherwise i'd think them to be truly aimless =D

Archived