IGNORED

Ending a track.

posture

As an aspiring pianist/keyboardist, It's fair to say that jazz is easy to pick up. If not theory-wise, than surely just by intuition. When I get in college and start studying more theory (at least beyond the lone semester couse I took in my high school) then I'll understand why what I do sounds good, but at this point I know scales, triads, vague stuff about intervals, and have lots of trouble reading music but I can still do it. That's good enough for me at the moment.

If jazz wasn't so easy to pick up, we wouldn't have such expressive music in the world. An artist that can really pack his life together can make incredible music, but some of these people with none of the discipline to learn in a conservatory, yet all of the passion of a great musician, would have never had the chance to express themselves if it weren't so simple to start. I like to think of it as the idealistic forefather of punk.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm serious, since getting a synth with a keyboard and being a bit rubbish at actually playing it, I'd love to have a bit of a firmer grounding in the basics so I can actually use it as a musical instrument as opposed to a source for sounds and MIDI data

I've been looking for a good synth. Do you have any recommendations? How did you pick yours?

Guest heliumbaboon
does anyone know any tracks with a fireworks sample at the end? i'd like to hear it.

about 5 minutes into side c of m83 'before the dawn heals us' there's a passage of what seems to be a field recording of a fireworks display. that's not really what you're looking for but still fireworks. i bet cheerleading routine music ends with explosions, too.

*i think my breakfuxathon ended with applause, but it's crap.

i can play grade 11 piano but not a lick of piano theory, i took a course on it and dropped out before we even reached scales. we were just doing rhythm and notation and i was like, fuck this shit

one day i will learn theory though and that will be a good day

Guest Keef Baker

All due respect to Mr Walnuts not everyone can grasp these concepts easily...

You have been living and breathing music theory since you were a small child, it's a simple biological fact that concepts picked up at an early age stick and seem simple.

This is why you get 10 year olds zooming round windows and 40 year olds who've been using it 10 years and still can't grasp the concept.

For some people understanding the diference between a perfect cadence is impossible unless explained into terms they understand..

Like saying to a guitarist perfect cadence is like a song in G playing a D chord then ending on G.

As a side note i fucking hate perfect cadence, it grates me like fuck. This and the constant repetition of melody just moved a note down in the scale is why I can't listen to baroque.

i can play grade 11 piano but not a lick of piano theory, i took a course on it and dropped out before we even reached scales. we were just doing rhythm and notation and i was like, fuck this shit

one day i will learn theory though and that will be a good day

hahahaa

Grade 11.

Hahahaa

hahahaa

Grade 11.

Hahahaa

well i recieved a grade 11 book i'm not sure if i ever finished learning the tracks and i never had a final exam for grade 11 but it's fair to say grade 10 / 11

what's so funny big guy?

Guest Keef Baker
well i recieved a grade 11 book i'm not sure if i ever finished learning the tracks and i never had a final exam for grade 11 but it's fair to say grade 10 / 11

what's so funny big guy?

I thought you were joking

Well when I left formal musical study (which was 96/97) there were no grades above 8, it kinda went grade 8 then degree...

If that's changed since then fair enough, but I only thought it went up to 8.

what's so funny big guy?

I thought you were joking

Well when I left formal musical study (which was 96/97) there were no grades above 8, it kinda went grade 8 then degree...

If that's changed since then fair enough, but I only thought it went up to 8.

i guess it's changed cause i have a book that is of the royal conservatory and it say grade 11 on it :P

anyways, yeah, it's nice to play the piano and complex pieces and all but making your own music can be that much more enjoyable :)

hahahaa

Grade 11.

Hahahaa

what's so funny big guy?

Sure it wasn't Roman numerals?

There's only 8 proper Grades in music (Associated Boards), then you start getting letters after your name...

Some piano tutorials have "grades", just like sections or chapters... You might have a Grade 20 book but it doesn't mean anything more than "lesson 20"...

I mean you wouldn't get Grade 5 without knowing all your scales and a fair bit of theory...

i never took the theory part , i didn't take it at our conserfvatory of music, i had a private teacher and we agreed early on that i didn't want to take theory, only play for the joy of it

anyways, doesn't matter

My only advice would be that you should never let a track go on for too long, and it shouldn't end too early either. Endings are as much to do about timing as they are about sound and melody.

I sometimes record a whole section of the song, reverse it and loop it. I then fade this loop in as the track reaches the end, it can work sometimes. :confused:

I end a track when I give up usually and just can't think what the fuck to do next. :laughing:

I have been able to actually finish or do anything worthy for the board for months though. I'm sure no one is too bothered though. :rolleyes:

Archived