IGNORED

Laptop DJing...soundcards.

chenGOD

I want to start using Traktor to DJ out at a friend's bar. I've got a MacBook Pro.

What sort of external soundcard are people using with this? (I'm assuming that you need at least 2 outs for monitoring purposes)

What works well for a reasonable cost?

i have had no problems with my m-audio audiophile fw

it has cue outs and shit

but, the general concenssssuss seems to go along the lines that 'MAWDIO SUXXOR THEY FUCK MY MAC SUXXX GIEF GOLD EPIXXX'

so be wary!

I don't mind Traktor..seems pretty straightforward to me. Set up some playlosts, monitor and adjust pitch as necessary, non?

Plus I can't afford Ableton. lol and I never use cracked software *snort*

Cheers mosca, will take a look at that piece of kit your reccied...

if you take your time to set up tracktor its very good/rewarding

if your not going to analiyze your tracks and play it by ear, then you wont reek the benifits of using it to it's maximum potential.

i've never deejayed from ableton. if i do play other peoples/my own music from ableton its usually in a live manner of being midi'd up to all my hardware.

though in a dj point of view

i either use decks and a (tap tempo'd) drum machine (not midi'd) or tracktor midied up to a midi controller

I'll probably spend the time and analyze the tracks. Especially for more dance-oriented nights/places.

My friends place is just a bar, so he doesn't want too much house/techno, he wants a lot of the popular shit that people recognize as being fun to dance to.

I'll probably spend the time and analyze the tracks. Especially for more dance-oriented nights/places.

My friends place is just a bar, so he doesn't want too much house/techno, he wants a lot of the popular shit that people recognize as being fun to dance to.

also take the time to edit all the keyboard shortcuts.. like mine = ctrl + s = sync ~ (deck a) s = sync ~ (deck b)

ctrl + r = loop start ~ (deck a) ctrl + t = loop end ~ (deck a)

r = loop start ~ (deck b) ect ect ect

p.s i use windows - ctrl = apple

might be better things around these days... but Echo Indigo DJ is good for that, if that's all you want from a soundcard, and it's compact. i'd imagine MacBook Pros have the cardbus thing?

I probably want something with some ins as well as MIDI, cause I'd like to be able to play melodies/chords/etc into Reason....

And also record some of my DJ sets from vinyl, so I can see how bad my mixing really is...lol

sounds about right then..and it's in my price range as well. I can always upgrade later (or save up for a proper desktop system for recording and so on...)

Archived