IGNORED

kiln ~ dusker

Guest tidbit

Guest tidbit

gi56-350.gif

Kiln

Dusker

GI-56 | CD/digital | 25 September 2007

Three years on from Sunbox, a softly clattering gem that perked the ears of everyone who heard it, Michigan's Kiln present Dusker, their debut Ghostly full-length and the cumulative effort of a trio that has quietly been staking out its musical territory for more than a decade.

Dusker infuses the entire concept of electronic composition with an almost impossible organic sense, its rich songs packed with sounds and flourishes that appear and disappear, cycling, spilling and disintegrating across the stereo field; it is an aural feast on headphones, as well as a perfect companion for a stroll through auburn fields. Kiln have a knack for balancing heart rending melodies & progressions against rhythmic programming & textures of incredible depth, making for a richness of sound that may well be instrumental for the sole fact that words could never express as much.

They are also meticulous manipulators of their instruments; while guitars, drum kits and live percussion appear on many tracks, the ear will struggle to pinpoint the possible sources of the unique sounds comprising Dusker. Despite an emphasis on mystery -- the band themselves are highly private, speaking their own dialect and never playing live -- one is drawn into a placid realm of womblike softnesses and hazy warmth, entranced and engaged at every shift by a wealth of beautiful sounds that elevate their human, natural and electronic foundations equally.

The band wants the album to "lock you to the earth then tune your chi". Clark Rehberg remarks, "making Dusker was like cave-painting without a torch; several pieces have undergone lengthy germinations and others have lived in one form or another before being completely re-envisioned/reconfigured." It is this emphasis on a wholly natural process -- both in inspiration and execution -- that separates Kiln from their peers, and makes Dusker one of the most original statements in electronic music in some time.

ghostly

......:::

like wow!

Guest tidbit
yes, but why not lp?

answer me this ghostly

because kiln sleeves are always so cliche so we don't need a bigger version

yeee i only buy vinyls because of the large sleeves.... + . .

Guest tidbit

i usually stare the cover (full album lenght time) when i listen to it

it gets me into trance

none of their other records have been on vinyl though have they? apart from that compilation thing that wasn't on ghostly

sunbox was on vinyl

thats hardly an excuse

i don't think it was meant to be

Archived