Virgin Spring

Smiles of a Summer Night

Solaris

M

The Third Man

The Passion of Joan of Arc

The Rules of the Game

8 1/2

I am leaning toward Breathless since I don't know all that much about Godard. I will definitely hold off on Nights of Cabria because I want to get La Strada first. I had La Dolce Vita up until last week when I foolishly allowed someone to borrow it only to have it returned cracked.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest awsbyern

i own every criterion and eclipse dvd.

well, i'm missing #9: "Hard Boiled". i haven't tracked that down yet.

and if that wasn't obsessive enough i even have most of the criterion laserdisc movies that haven't been released on dvd coverted to dvd.

actually i don't "collect" them; i watch at least one every morning. i just finished "hopscotch" 30 minutes ago.

I actually much preferred Nights of Cabiria(and really any other early Fellini that has writing from Pasolini) to La Dolce Vita...I think it's a general distaste I have for Fellini when he gets into the upper classes. That, and even Giuletta Masina is probably my favorite actress to ever work w/Fellini.

edit: Also, what about the score to Contempt did you enjoy so much? I found it quite amateur and obnoxious, myself(as with most scores to Godard pictures).

I love Anouk Aimee in "La Dolce Vita " and that was the first Fellini movie I saw, so i have a particular fondness for that movie.

sjff_03_img0918.jpg

About the score in Contempt- I just like it, it paces the movie really well imo... I'm a Godard nut though... how can't you like the score to "Breathless" ?

Jean Pierre Melville anyone ?

This will be my next purchase definitely

le_samourai.jpg

Guest absolu

I sold most of my Criterions about 1 year ago but I still have maybe 30 of them. I kinda lost interest in collecting them somehow.

I bought Tokyo Story 2 1/2 years ago and still didn't get to watch it entirely, what a shame..

Guest SecondaryCell

So glad I found this topic - in my world I have zero people that care anything about the films I love. Even my family constantly ridicules and makes fun of me about my "black and white movies, in a foreign language, made at least 50 years ago."

I don't have every Criterion release, but I do have about 250 of them.

Standouts:

All of the Bergman films - for me, the greatest film director to walk the face of the earth. He was known as one of the few men that understood the mind of "Woman". Since this has been an ongoing goal of mine, I find myself studying his films repeatedly. (I really like the faith trilogy boxset.)

Carl Theodore Dryer boxset - this guy made so few films in his career, but they are so meticulously crafted. Day of Wrath is unflinchingly brutal and Ordet (probably my favorite) is incredibly heavy. I hope that Criterion can get their hands on Vampyr.

Godard - all titles. Truly a cutting edge thinker... and then you have Anna Karina, it doesn't get any better than that.

Eric Rohmer boxset - nothing happens in his films, yet everything happens. His deeply internal analysis of male/female relationships constantly blows me away.

Tarkovsky - Andrei Rublev: the first time that I watched it I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I was overwhelmed with the feeling of not having any idea where it could go next, and was totally sucked in just letting it all unfold before my eyes.

Robert Bresson - beautifully austere and bleak. I've got all of his except Mouchette, which I hope to pick up very soon.

Kieslowski - The Double Life of Véronique - he wrote this as a showpiece for Irene Jacob, need I say more?

One other thing.

Does anyone else hate the new Criterion logo besides me? The old black & white one with the blurry text and line becoming clear was perfect. It said everything about the company in a very simple and direct way. Their new logo looks like the Cyan games logo. I wrote Criterion a message asking them why on earth did they feel the need to "fix" something that wasn't broken? Besides the old logo stood out on the spine from a mile away - I could spot a Criterion in a rack of DVDs almost instantly. They never replied...

Guest awsbyern
One other thing.

Does anyone else hate the new Criterion logo besides me? The old black & white one with the blurry text and line becoming clear was perfect. It said everything about the company in a very simple and direct way. Their new logo looks like the Cyan games logo. I wrote Criterion a message asking them why on earth did they feel the need to "fix" something that wasn't broken? Besides the old logo stood out on the spine from a mile away - I could spot a Criterion in a rack of DVDs almost instantly. They never replied...

i like it only because i can instantly see which older ones have been reissued (usually with better extras/transfer).

by the way, if someone has the "hardboiled" (#9) dvd i'm missing i'll trade you a copy of any other criterion you want (unless that's not allowed here).

also, i'll say my current favorite is without a doubt the louis malle docs on eclipse. i re-watch the 'phantom india' dvd's all the time. so amazing. it's really one of the only movies out of the thousands i have that i can watch over and over.

Guest vodor

I don't really know shit about Criterion other than that I have a couple and that nobody has mentioned one of them:

The Last Temptation of Christ

Good movie. Better than the book, for sure. At least, better than the translation of it.

Gratz to the folks that have a fucking shitload of Criterion films. Impeccable taste and drive for collection, for sure.

I'm just jealous though. Seriously, don't fucking bother with me.

Carl Theodore Dryer boxset - this guy made so few films in his career, but they are so meticulously crafted. Day of Wrath is unflinchingly brutal and Ordet (probably my favorite) is incredibly heavy. I hope that Criterion can get their hands on Vampyr.

I really want to get this.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is probably like my second favorite movie evar.

Guest Soothsayer

SecondaryCell....good news! Criterion confirmed they're working on a Vampyr release :D

We seem to share a lot of the same preferences in Criterion titles, as well(at least for the Bresson, Rohmer and Dryer films). I recommend picking up Mouchette....highly(hell, check my avatar!)

Also, from your picks, I must recommend 2 things to ya quite highly:

1. The new Agnes Varda boxset. It's really something to see La Bonheur, I mean *really* something...

2. The Teshigahara boxset. Imo, Japanese cinema is so much better with the drop of classical formality, which Teshigahara excels...

Guest Soothsayer

It's funny, my favorite Godard film(by a very big margin) isn't a Criterion release...

Week End(the sequence of the couple meeting the fairy tale characters in the forest is something I'll never ever forget, or the scene w/Antoine Doinel, hehe)

edit: Also, I'll add that Tuesday sees Criterion releasing Teshigahara's documentary about Antonio Gaudi...needless to say, I'm excited

here's my DVD Aficionado list: LINK

The Days of Heaven release is wonderful.

agreed... i was especially happy about the audio :)

Nice collection Goffer. Some similar tastes to mine. I havent any Crtiterions though

http://boltoncalling.dvdaf.com/owned

nice tumor you have there... criterions are great to put on birthday and christmas lists... it's really hard for me to fork out the dough for them unless I find a nice deal on ebay. I need to start feeding my DVD buying habit again, I haven't unwrapped a fresh batch in quite some time.

It's funny, my favorite Godard film(by a very big margin) isn't a Criterion release...

Week End(the sequence of the couple meeting the fairy tale characters in the forest is something I'll never ever forget, or the scene w/Antoine Doinel, hehe)

haha, same! it's very rare to find someone else that enjoyed that film, let alone have it be their favorite godard film. though i have a good chunk of his criterion releases all of which are special in thier own little ways.

also, i'll say my current favorite is without a doubt the louis malle docs on eclipse.

arrrgh i wanna get that box set sooooo bad

Guest zaphod

i'd absolutely love to see some animation on criterion. maybe akira or something along those lines.

oh i just picked this up today:

ugetsu.jpg

have you seen Zerkalo (the Mirror) from Tarkosvky? he does the same tricks over & over in his whole career, but in Zerkalo he gets it perfectly right

i have no idea why really, but that film blew me away as well...

i don't really know much about film, but man i'd love to see anything else like that or 'stalker'.

i dont think there will ever be anything like that of andrei rubley or stalker, well unless you get into more of tarkovsky's work.

any of you watch his short adaptation of The Killers? it's on The Killers critierion release... brilliant!

Guest Soothsayer

Wanna see more work like Tarkovsky?

Get the Sergei Paradjanov boxset that *just* came out on Kino dvd....trust folks.

Andrei Rublyov is also my all-time favorite film :D

edit: Also, there is a filmmaker working today, named Carlos Reygadas. I think a lot of you Tarkovsky fans on here would be quite fond of his work.

Check his films Japon and Battle in Heaven. :)

Went with the Dreyer boxed set.

There is a record shop down the street that has Breathless and a Catholic bookstore the other way down the street that has Andrei Rublev so I'll get those two another time.

Guest The Worm

:omg:

Please give me Notorious kthxbai.

My county library system has 4 Criterion Notorii.

Please give me Notorious kthxbai.

My county library system has 4 Criterion Notorii.

Please take one and mail it to me.

Archived