IGNORED

Criterion collection

Guest Soothsayer

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Soothsayer

They're going to put The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and A Woman Under the Influence as single releases soon. It's too bad Faces isn't getting a single release, either, as those were the three best films from that collection(I wasn't particularly fond of Opening Night).

Guest Soothsayer

While I certainly love Cassavetes, I'm not so sure how I feel about Gena Rowlands. She's great in Faces, because she practically embodies the character she's playing(a nomad to circumstance, not a decision-maker), however she's practically a clown in A Woman Under the Influence(although Peter Falk saves this film, imo). She certainly had the ability to play roles, but I always get the feeling that she hasn't a clue what the roles mean.

Guest analogue wings
I haven't, heard good things, though. I need to get their release of Brute Force.

What did ya think of the Cassavetes box, Velazquez?

I've seen most of it. Shit hot, including the lesser-known ones.

• 3 months later...
Guest awkwardsilence

Awesome that they're doing Blu-Ray now, makes me sort of happy I never got along to getting all the Criterion discs I really wanted earlier. So yeah, just to come clean, I got a PlayStation 3 earlier this year, and now at the end of the year, I own 90 Blu-Ray films already. It's an addiction, sure, but a viable one, as it's given me back my enthusiasm for watching movies again, and now with the advent of Criterion Blu-Rays, that sounds like some kind of super-drug.

Guest Soothsayer

I always saw F for Fake as a thinly-veiled scam of Oja Kodar to get some kind of symbolic role in an Orson Welles film. The film itself is interesting enough, but all of her involvement feels so forced and sleazy.

edit: With that said, the fact that she's only a minor villian(imo, I know there are plenty of others who would vehemently disagree w/me on the opinion she's a villian at all), she's nothing compared to so many others who have taken a shit all over the legacy of Orson Welles(his own daughter Beatrice immediately springs to mind).

Guest Soothsayer

Criterion released a boxset of Day of Wrath, Ordet and Gertrud. Imo, that's the greatest boxset they've *ever* released, unfortunately it's also OOP. There are still copies around here and there, I'd say grab one before it gets too spendy.

imo, Ordet is his greatest film, even better than The Passion of Joan of Arc. Greatest ending in film history.

They also just released Vampyr. That film is amazing for its own charms(it's creepy as hell), but that film pails in comparison to all 3 films in that boxset.

He has a ton of other great silent films too. Leaves From Satan's Book is relatively easy to find on dvd, and a fantastic film(if ya liked Griffith's "Intolerance", you'll like this).

Archived