IGNORED

w

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Natural Born Killers ... very masturbatory 'edgey' teen appealing movies

what?

what i mean is Natural Born Killers and U-turn for me mark points in his career where it seems obvious to me hes trying to appeal greatly to a younger or new generation of fans. Haha i doubt we're going to agree on this dude, we often seem to have polar opposite feelings about film. Natural born killers is like a movie length Marilyn Manson video for me, simple as that.

well, i guess i havent seen it since i was ....a teenager, so i cant really argue, but i remember thinking it was great. again that just backs up your point though.

lol, i brought up natural born killers because i think on a certain level that movie really works for what it's trying to be.

W reminds me a little bit of the craziness in that film, but it felt very rushed in comparison. On another point Oliver stone had really refined a certain bombastic way of using stock footage/news in this films ie: Jfk, nixon, Natural born killers.

In W he really wasted an opportunity to interwine more stock footage and news reel stuff.

there was this particularly strange really jarring scene in W where its recreating Bush's landing on the aircraft carrier.

At first i was like oh nice they are bluescreening bush on some vhs grained stock footage of the real thing. Then they cut to this totally over the top parody of a Fox News style network commentating on it. It was done almost in the Onion TV channel sketches and really did not fit with the tone of the movie. If they had used actual clips of Sean Hannity jizzing over the Bush 'mission accomplished' speech i think it would have been more effective.

the only truly good oliver stone films:

-platoon

-jfk

-nixon

i think thats it.

i might need to rewatch w, some of the scenes being talked about i dont remember. waaaayyy to much pot in them brownies. jesus, i can recall some funny scenes tho. the one where rumsfeld was staring off into space was fucking hysterical.

i think its that movie with mel gibson, where he gets shot up at the end, i remember it making me pretty sad when i saw it as a child

OMG SPOILERS!

but it wasn't him that dies. It's his buddy. I remember it being a great film, would like to see it again...

i think its that movie with mel gibson, where he gets shot up at the end, i remember it making me pretty sad when i saw it as a child

OMG SPOILERS!

but it wasn't him that dies. It's his buddy. I remember it being a great film, would like to see it again...

no i think it was him, i remember the end was him jumping out of the foxhole and getting shot up in slow motion

no i think it was him, i remember the end was him jumping out of the foxhole and getting shot up in slow motion

you are wrong. And stop ruining the movie for anyone who might want to see it.

that is engraved on my memory. Mel runs at the last minute to their superiors to stop the suicidal assault (cue Jarre music, or someone like that). He gets their them to agree to stop it (or they were planning to anyway, can't remember), and runs back to deliver the good news to his friend (the champion runner), who is preparing in their trench for the assault. But he is moments too late to stop the charge, and all the guys (including his friend) are mowed down in a hail of bullets.

born on the 4th of july? Salvador? I remember those being decent films. But it has been years...

Salvador and JFK are his favorite films of mine. Born on the 4th of july is also pretty good albeit a little heavy-handed/super preachy

I also thought World Trade Center wasnt a bad film for what it was. The first 45 minutes of that movie imo are extremely well-done even with an actor i normally fucking hate, nicholas cage.

• 8 months later...

finally saw this movie....i mean, given that you gotta sorta suspend disbelief, W is portrayed almost as a tragic Shakespearean character..he has no idea that no one gives a shit about his opinion, or ever has...

the beginning parts where he is a drunk is freaky because it reminds me of the old me...

btw richard dreyfuss is dead on as cheney....awesome makeup job.

Archived