IGNORED

Recording Question For Vista

autopilot

In XP, if I wanted to record something from the computer's audio feed, I would go to the sound thing in the system tray, go to "Recording..." and check the box for "mixer". However, in Vista, they completely redesigned it so there's only a menu like that for the playback volume levels, and you choose your recording input from a different menu. In this menu, there's only one option, and that's my laptop mic (or my mic if I have it plugged in).

I'm sure they did this as some lame preventative audio DRM measure to keep people from recording copyrighted material, but often there's stuff I'd love to sample off Youtube or another source where I can't download the material and separate the audio.

I'm wondering if anyone's found a workaround to this (other than simply plugging in a mic and holding it up to the speaker...I can do this, obviously, but it's not the best quality). Perhaps there's some simple menu option that I keep overlooking.

Thanks for your help! :cat:

If no success with that method I suggest seeking out Total Recorder. My Audiofire unfortunately doesn't have the Stereo Mix/What U Hear recording option so I've ended up using that.

Unfortunately not (it's something like $20), I wish I could find a free alternative to it rather that getting it by other methods.....

EDIT- Hmm I've found this ( http://freecorder.com/sound-recorder/ ), but I'm concerned that is might be adwared up to buggery. Just something about the look of it seems off...

EDIT2- Yep from googling looks like my adware nose was right.

i've got a yamaha pocketrack it's a field recorder. i use it for all kinds of sample manipulating with my line 6 toneport ux2, running audio from my laptop into via a 1/8 gold plated cable. then running it back into wavelab. i use it all the time for youtube/webpage type recordings. every musician should have one. :wink:

Guest hahathhat

does ALSA, some linux shit run under windows maybe? PITA as most open source shit i'm sure, but it'll let you do what you want

Archived