IGNORED

Kurious AKA Kurious Jorge

Guest AOOproductions

Guest AOOproductions

This guy released an underground album in 1994, A Constipated Monkey. It is wicked good, one of the best finds in lesser known hip hip in a while for me. Half of it is produced by The Beatnuts, so it has a wicked nice jazzy sound. Kurious can be heard further with his work with The Monster Island Czars, a underground group that got off the ground with help from MF DOOM under his King Geedorah alias. He can be heard more famously on the MF DOOM tracks, "?" off Operation: Doomsday and he provides the vocals on the King Geedorah track, Fastlane.

i used to have his cd. i lent a japanese exchange student a copy of the sebutones album back in highschool and he gave me a copy of the kurious disc when he gave back the sebutones. i remember it was pretty ok. nikole was my favorite track, then that one you posted. yyeeah

Guest AOOproductions

Glad to see a couple people think it's worth looking up, I luv finding shit like this after years of not knowing about it!

Guest all_purpose_sandpaper

What made the production of this album special for me was the production of the SD50's, who never failed to create the dopest tracks. I loved this album. I am remembering all sorts of things now.

Along with the Beatminerz, LA Jay, Hieroglyphics and early Premier, these fellows influenced my interest in music and sampling for mood. I would be listening to nothing but Chrome otherwise.

I am happy that people are interested in this era of production. A real gem is Kwest the Mad Ladd's first album. Look it up!

Cheers.

Guest AOOproductions
What made the production of this album special for me was the production of the SD50's, who never failed to create the dopest tracks. I loved this album. I am remembering all sorts of things now.

Along with the Beatminerz, LA Jay, Hieroglyphics and early Premier, these fellows influenced my interest in music and sampling for mood. I would be listening to nothing but Chrome otherwise.

I am happy that people are interested in this era of production. A real gem is Kwest the Mad Ladd's first album. Look it up!

Cheers.

Oh absolutely, the two bar loops and gritty ney york drum patterns are absolutely fantastic... Premiers production on Step into the areana and Daily Operation and Black Moons Enta The Stage are all fantastic examples of this. just pure unadulterated hip hop. thanks for the recommendation to.

forewarned Kwest has a west coast jazz sound, but i completely agree with the NY binary style. My favorite. Of course you have the first 4 EPMD records.

Group Home's first album--their track Livin' Proof has to be the greatest example of the NY 1-2. What is it about this style anyway?

ooh check out Saafir's Boxcar Sessions--early West. the production is completely berzerk and kind of reminds me of BOC.

I am listening to nothing but my old rap records this month. I've been away too long. I feel as though i've tapped into some elusive adolescent enthusiasm having been reminded of all of this...

More west coast goodness

Quinton's Here EP

Eye Examination EP by Del--especially the track Burnt which offers the finest example of Herbie Hancock sampling, and another old school production trademark, the Synthetic Substitution drum sample.

Guest AOOproductions
forewarned Kwest has a west coast jazz sound, but i completely agree with the NY binary style. My favorite. Of course you have the first 4 EPMD records.

Group Home's first album--their track Livin' Proof has to be the greatest example of the NY 1-2. What is it about this style anyway?

Hmmm yes he does have a west coast jaz style... an underground one at that though... even more minimal than J-Swift and LA Jay. BTW I was watching an interview with Lil Dap about his new album that came out last year, and he was taking credit for alot of the production on Livin Proof. Now I know what your thinking... haha BS. But when I listened to his new album and other tracks he's produced, it's not completely unlikely that he had a hand in it. Influenced by premier ofcourse but he certainly has an ear of own. Not to mention back in the golden age more or less every rapper could DJ, Scratch, and Produce to some degree... it just came with the culture.

Not to shabby huh? I was impressed anyways.

BTW will def check out Boxcare sessions, heard about it a long time ago, u made me remember... going to get it fast.

Also in regards to why i think the NY 1-2 style has such an impact... well to put it simply, when your stoned or drunk, the repetition of the loops almost has a hazy effect on the brain. it just drags out as if it's gonna play forever, put some devastating drum patterns underneath and ur in a trance. That's what has always drawn me to it anyways. Ofcourse I listen to it straight more than I do high, and it's still just as good... but it's this feature that makes me enjoy it the most.

in regards to why i think the NY 1-2 style has such an impact... well to put it simply, when your stoned or drunk, the repetition of the loops almost has a hazy effect on the brain. it just drags out as if it's gonna play forever, put some devastating drum patterns underneath and ur in a trance.

Excellent analysis. There may be something to be said about the limitations of the technology--from flash memory to construction via analog turntableism and tape recording. These limitations may have lent to the simplistic form, and pushing those boundaries. The popularity of the result, standardized and copied, extended its life into the mid nineties, dying somewhere around the new digital age, an example of which might have been Jeru the Damaja's second album, which was somewhat panned by purists as suffering from the same disease as "film" with the rise of Avid. What could be better than the murkiest Beatminerz construction?

Probably the death of this style has more to do with the advent of swearmouth crime lyrics, market driven. The creativity inherent in those great early albums probably span out of drug induced dorm room experimentation and toppled over with the modernization of the recording industry finally getting its teeth into the product and marketing to the LCD, save holdouts--underground, a term that popped up during the fall--most weren't while representing such. Wu did keep the flame with a precarious balancing act. Mobb Deep might be a good example of this--demonstrating the stylistic lyrical perspicasity of a 4 year old prisoner while sounding allright beatwise... Perhaps the childish peekaboo simplicity of early production juxtaposed with humorous and imaginative lyrics gave it its strength. Rap lost its sense of humor with the digital age. Doom and Madlib certainly has ressurected the best of the past.

Gangster rap : what about Ice Cube's The Product? That was creative AND hardcore. I'm full of shit. KABOOM! Lil' Dapper I have lost track of. Thanks for the heads up. I would agree anyone with that voice is capable of such production. If he were a track, he would be something off of Daily Operation.

Guest Stoppit

Currently listening to American Hunger by MF Grimm - Kurious appears on the track 'Travelling'

Other than that, I only know him from the King Geedorah album. I will have to check out his solo work (need to get the M.I.C. album as well)

Guest AOOproductions
in regards to why i think the NY 1-2 style has such an impact... well to put it simply, when your stoned or drunk, the repetition of the loops almost has a hazy effect on the brain. it just drags out as if it's gonna play forever, put some devastating drum patterns underneath and ur in a trance.

Excellent analysis. There may be something to be said about the limitations of the technology--from flash memory to construction via analog turntableism and tape recording. These limitations may have lent to the simplistic form, and pushing those boundaries. The popularity of the result, standardized and copied, extended its life into the mid nineties, dying somewhere around the new digital age, an example of which might have been Jeru the Damaja's second album, which was somewhat panned by purists as suffering from the same disease as "film" with the rise of Avid. What could be better than the murkiest Beatminerz construction?

Probably the death of this style has more to do with the advent of swearmouth crime lyrics, market driven. The creativity inherent in those great early albums probably span out of drug induced dorm room experimentation and toppled over with the modernization of the recording industry finally getting its teeth into the product and marketing to the LCD, save holdouts--underground, a term that popped up during the fall--most weren't while representing such. Wu did keep the flame with a precarious balancing act. Mobb Deep might be a good example of this--demonstrating the stylistic lyrical perspicasity of a 4 year old prisoner while sounding allright beatwise... Perhaps the childish peekaboo simplicity of early production juxtaposed with humorous and imaginative lyrics gave it its strength. Rap lost its sense of humor with the digital age. Doom and Madlib certainly has ressurected the best of the past.

Gangster rap : what about Ice Cube's The Product? That was creative AND hardcore. I'm full of shit. KABOOM! Lil' Dapper I have lost track of. Thanks for the heads up. I would agree anyone with that voice is capable of such production. If he were a track, he would be something off of Daily Operation.

Awesome discussion, don't have enough of these considering my friends minds are rotting away with T.I. and Lil Wayne. I find it very interesting that purists were not so hot on Jeru's second album, funny how with time those albums just keep getting better and better... and the albums that the purists were probably starting to feel was the new direction of hip hop... actually didn't even make a mark or last. The best part about the lack of technology was the fact it made those artists during the golden age be innovative with nothing but they're minds and the same equiptment that had been used for the last 20 years. Thats being creative. When you rely on technological innovation as a crutch for creativity your invariably gonna be running in circles.

Some have managed to bridge the gap and keep Hip-hop(not rap) alive. Like you said, to this day Wu keeps bringing back old school flavor to their tracks, RZA for better or worse created a monster. some of his followers had no idea what they were doin and drove his ideas into the ground... but others like Allah Mathamatics and True Master really kept the wu going. Possibly the most competent backpacker in hip hop at the moment imho is Black Milk, that guy keeps true hip hop alive, has a great ear for MC's and new talent and raps very well. I agree Doom and Madlib have done a fair share as well, but they have crafted almost a niche for themselves... so unfortunetly no one can really follow in their footsteps.

When I heard Wrath of the Math for the first time I did think it was an earsore--I was so used to the first album. Upon hearing it again not too long ago I did recognize the inherent psychedelicism, and generally as you observed, these albums do get better, perhaps only relatively considering Lil' Wayne... I am completely ignorant of what's happening now and thank you for some direction. I was turned off about 96, somewhere in between the washing machine sample on one of the Kriss Kross albums, a good idea for a bad one, and the introduction of live instumentation/classic sampling admixture, which I found degenerate.

Black Sheep were there too.. They did this track On the Wall for the Trespass movie soundtrack--totally insane with these horns. You have got to seek that one. They did suffer from second album syndrome ala Pharcyde though. I couldn't figure out if Mr. Lawnge was taking the piss. At the time I balked at enjoying rap+gregarious R&B singing tracks, and frankly, still hate them.

Guest AOOproductions
At the time I balked at enjoying rap+gregarious R&B singing tracks, and frankly, still hate them.

Actually, as it turned out... hip hop is now completely run by an R&B and dance combination of hip-hop. Real rap is more or less dead in the mainstream. As for The Black Sheep, by the time non fiction had came out there was a huge dwindling in jazz rap. Even once huge bands like De la soul were being forced underground ala Buhloone Mindstate. Even Digable planets received a lot of negative feedback on their second album from the mainstream community. Almost just as Wrath of math did. And Tribe banished for 3 years after Marauders as did de la. So I think there was a lot of tension from the studio, due to the commercialization of biggie and the rising popularity in west coast. When you look at it with hindsight, it's not unlikely Black Sheep were totally discouraged about their market when they were making Non fiction... and ended up just not putting any effort into it. After all their debut did come out at the height of the native tongues movement, when Hip hop was at it's most conscious.

BTW you weren't found of live instrumentation? Care to explain. I would check out Do you want more by the roots if you want the greatest example of live instrumentation.

At the time I balked at enjoying rap+gregarious R&B singing tracks, and frankly, still hate them.

Actually, as it turned out... hip hop is now completely run by an R&B and dance combination of hip-hop. Real rap is more or less dead in the mainstream. As for The Black Sheep, by the time non fiction had came out there was a huge dwindling in jazz rap. Even once huge bands like De la soul were being forced underground ala Buhloone Mindstate. Even Digable planets received a lot of negative feedback on their second album from the mainstream community. Almost just as Wrath of math did. And Tribe banished for 3 years after Marauders as did de la. So I think there was a lot of tension from the studio, due to the commercialization of biggie and the rising popularity in west coast. When you look at it with hindsight, it's not unlikely Black Sheep were totally discouraged about their market when they were making Non fiction... and ended up just not putting any effort into it. After all their debut did come out at the height of the native tongues movement, when Hip hop was at it's most conscious.

BTW you weren't found of live instrumentation? Care to explain. I would check out Do you want more by the roots if you want the greatest example of live instrumentation.

Ha ha I thought Blowout Comb was a superior effort. I could not understand the hating. Of course rap sounds better on cassette. I also just had this idea that rap might have died once sampling required clearance, leaving Black Sheep and others to hang themselves with canned studio production, and as referenced, the live jams with guitars and etc. Why don't I like? I'm an absurd purist--like what made it great--straight sampling as art. Cobra Killer's first album is a gem of sampling, way off topic. And so, if I want to hear something hiphoppy and live, I will listen real jazz of funk. Not to hate on the Roots... I heard them blast out Bob James' Angela and almost wept.

Have you head Cortex's first album. Great drums on that.

Guest AOOproductions
just had this idea that rap might have died once sampling required clearance, leaving Black Sheep and others to hang themselves with canned studio production

yes this was a huge factor haha. Imagine working on a product for over a year only to find you couldn't get clearance for the half the samples? had to off been the worst feeling in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived