IGNORED

Mixed Martial Arts

Guest Adjective

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest catsonearth

so, what fights are people looking forward to? we've got UFC 97 on the 18th, the return of strikeforce/eliteXC with nick diaz vs frank shamrock this weekend. which bouts are you most excited for?

honestly, i don't know who i find more annoying - nick diaz or frank shamrock. probably nick diaz. shamrock is old and too much of a showboat, but he's also a decent fighter. diaz is alright too, but he's not exactly the most disciplined fighter out there. his showboating is worse than shamrocks, which seems nearly impossible. i'm going for shamrock on this one.

also looking forward to the cyborg/hitomi akano fight. female fights are always kinda lame because 3 minutes just isn't enough time for a round. 3 mins is usually right when the action starts. but still, i want to see cyborg fight gina curano, so i'm hoping she'll win and we'll see that fight at the next strikeforce event.

as for UFC 97...definitely looking forward to anderson silva vs thales leites although i think we all know how that fight is going to end. leites couldn't even beat nate the great...how the hell is he even going to stand a chance against silva?

lidell vs shogun...it's always fun to watch chuck lidell fight, but shogun's last fight against mark coleman was absolutely pathetic, so i'm not holding out too much hope for this one.

Guest IRARI

i don't like mma... something about being forced to realize that i don't stand a chance in a real fight

Guest catsonearth

how exactly does that require more brains?

-----------------

for those that are interested, it looks like the lineup for UFC 100 is being finalized and it looks like it'll be awesome!

Main Card

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir (for unified heavyweight championship)

Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves (for welterweight championship)

Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping (MW)

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. Alan Belcher (MW)

Under Card

Jon Jones vs. Jake O'Brien (LHW)

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Jonathan Goulet (WW)

CB Dollaway vs. Tom Lawlor (MW)

Matt Grice vs. Shannon Gugerty (LW)

for some reason i thought the lesnar/mir fight was postponed, but maybe it was supposed to be sooner and they pushed it back to 100? not sure, but i'm pretty psyched for that fight. frank mir's submissions are beautiful and he looked really great against nogiera in his last fight, but brock lesnar is a monster and he definitely won't be caught as easily as he was in their first meeting.

and hell yea! jon jones AND dong hyun kim are fighting. both of these guys impressed me a lot with their last appearances. looking forward to seeing them both again. kim looked great against karo parysian and i think we all know how i feel about jon jones. that dude is going to hold the belt someday, imo.

Guest Adjective
for those that are interested, it looks like the lineup for UFC 100 is being finalized and it looks like it'll be awesome!

Main Card

Under Card

for some reason i thought the lesnar/mir fight was postponed, but maybe it was supposed to be sooner and they pushed it back to 100? not sure, but i'm pretty psyched for that fight. frank mir's submissions are beautiful and he looked really great against nogiera in his last fight, but brock lesnar is a monster and he definitely won't be caught as easily as he was in their first meeting.

and hell yea! jon jones AND dong hyun kim are fighting. both of these guys impressed me a lot with their last appearances. looking forward to seeing them both again. kim looked great against karo parysian and i think we all know how i feel about jon jones. that dude is going to hold the belt someday, imo.

what's funny is my friend is getting married and he's bigger on mma than anyone i know, but a few days after picking his wedding day UFC chose the same day for UFC 100. he's devastated, but won't dare ask to reschedule for fear of the wrath

dong hyun kim: his first ufc fight was great. i've never seen that many elbows thrown. i think i heard the count was above 200 landed. on top of that he just dominated the guy, complete control. around that time i was looking up all his vids from DEEP(?) or whatever else i could find and he looked great. i thought he was going to explode into UFC. for some reason though, ever since that UFC debut, he just looks unsure and like he's just going through the motions, and his cardio is shakey. i really want this guy to do well but his last two fights weren't impressive and went to the cards for controversial split decisions.

i hate brock. i hope mir grabs him by the toe again and makes him cry like a giant woman out of the ring.

ufc 97 - hoping to see brian stann knocked out so i don't have to hear the announcers jacking him off with an american flag for the whole fight anymore

ufc 99 - franklin vs. silva will be brutal, i don't know what will happen there, i may get light-headed

dream 9 - gegard mousasi vs. Sokoudjou

i don't know if that's official, but i would love to see mousasi fight again. i have high hopes for this guy, especially since he's coming out of red devil with fedor. sokoudjou seems like he'd be a superstar but just doesn't seem to function that well in the spotlight

Guest Adjective

want to give a shout out to Sambo, pretty fun to watch.

this is fedor fighting his brother alexander emelianenko

If Leites sticks to the game plan, he'l do better than a lot of people think. He has good takedowns and better jiu jitsu than Anderson. If he stands up it won't last long. He'd be better off pulling guard and going for sweeps.

On the 97 card, I'm really looking forward to Cane vs Cantwell. Both are pretty elite strikers. I think Cane should be heavily favored and will probably win by TKO, but for as long as it lasts it should be good.

On the Strikeforce card I'm looking forward to Scott Smith vs. Benji Radach. I know neither is that good, but they'll both bang.

Looking further out. I'm really interested to see how Machida vs. Rashad turns out. Neither has lost a fight before, and I know Greg Jackson will come up with a good gameplan for Machida. Apparently, JZ will be fighting Kawajiri at DREAM 9 at the end of May. That could be good too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catsonearth

i might be in the minority here, but i was really pissed at the crowd during that silva/leites fight. all the boos and chants were just totally rude and unnecessary. totally ruined the fight. not every fight is going to end with a brutal first round knock out and not every matchup leads to knock down, drag out brawls. sometimes two people's gameplans and skillsets cancel each other out and make for a match where neither can get very far. silva totally owned leites - i think that was pretty evident. leites couldn't do anything and silva wasn't about to fall into his guard and give him an advantage. but he stayed pretty busy, he landed lots of shots...but leites had a decent chin, so he didn't get knocked out. a weaker man might have fallen under a few of those flurries, but he didn't. does that make the fight bad? i thought it was lame that leites was so afraid to do anything, but i can't really blame him for wanting to fight to his advantage as well.

it was just a bad matchup all around. not silva's fault...well, not anderson silva's fault. joe silva is more to blame as far as i'm concerned. i don't know why he thought leites even stood a chance, honestly.

Guest Rambo

yeah it's dumb but it's not really a surprise. You're not going to get a crowd of 20,000 knowledgeable fans ...... + take into account booze. I thought it was okay personally. I think it was just frustrating because everyone knows what Silva is capable of, not to say he didn't land plenty though. In summary 7/10

I'd fucking love GSP vs Silva btw, hope it happens.

Guest jubes

how exactly does that require more brains?

-----------------

Main Card

Under Card

its more like point fighting wich requires more accurate hits, lots of speed, flexibility, and last but not least : balance ! I just love UFC an respect the art way the fuck, but not a lot of ufc fighters fave the speed to to a jumping away spinning circular kick

and just how long can you compete before being a punch drunk 40 year old ? ...is ultimate fighting worst than boxing when it comes to brain damage ?

...is ultimate fighting worst than boxing when it comes to brain damage ?

Actually boxing is worse. You have to remember that in boxing they spend most of the fight getting hit with head shots. If they're knocked down they have time to recover and then get up again for more damage. Compare that to UFC where the referee stops the fight at the first sign that a fighter can't defend himself.

Guest catsonearth

the UFC undisputed demo came out for xbox360 this weekend. you can only play as shogun vs lidell right now, but it's pretty ace. lots of fighting options. definitely gonna pick this up when it comes out.

it's a little generous for chuck lidell though. everytime i played as shogun i got knocked out by that overhand right, no matter how good i was doing up until then. maybe that would be accurate for chuck circa 1-2 years ago, but nowadays...that's not as likely, especially considering how that shogun fight actually turned out.

still, i think it's gonna be a pretty deep game.

Guest Rambo

i think my bro will be getting that. I've only played one ufc game, i think it was actually the first one that ever came out, must have been around 2001?

On another note, i watched Jon Jones v Bonnar again last night and i think he might actually be my favourite fighter off the back of that fight. Can't wait for ufc 100.

lidell vs shogun...it's always fun to watch chuck lidell fight, but shogun's last fight against mark coleman was absolutely pathetic, so i'm not holding out too much hope for this one.

I'm so happy that Liddel won't be fighting anymore after that. He should have retired about 2 years ago.

UFC owner Dana White is a giant pussy for not signing Fedor. Fedor would have owned anybody UFC could throw against him in the last couple of years,he's starting to age though, and I don't think he's been fighting very much.

FAV fighters:

Fedor, CroCop (what a disappointment in UFC omg...), Nog, GSP, Rampage, Rene Bonjasky.

Some others whom I cannot remember.

Guest catsonearth
I'm so happy that Liddel won't be fighting anymore after that. He should have retired about 2 years ago.

i dunno, i think he could continue to fight but i don't think his head is in the right place. he's got tunnel vision. he's become too confident in his ability to knock people out with that right hand that he doesn't really look for anything else. he's "right hand crazy" as some might say. not to mention he punches with his eyes closed. he just keeps that right hand loaded up and throws it with everything he's got...and he's been doing the same thing for years, so people have figured him out and now it's easy to knock him out. you just connect before he does. but his striking is still clean and aside from being too eager, he's looked pretty good in his last 3 fights up until the point where he got KOd.

can't say i'll really miss him all that much, but at the same time if randy couture can fight well into his 40s, then chuck lidell can at least stick around a few more. he's not even 40 yet himself.

UFC owner Dana White is a giant pussy for not signing Fedor. Fedor would have owned anybody UFC could throw against him in the last couple of years,he's starting to age though, and I don't think he's been fighting very much.

i'm not sure about fedor. everybody loves him and i agree he's pretty good, but i'm just not quite sure how good in the grand scheme. a lot of fighters who dominate other leagues inevitably come over the the UFC and are just mediocre. i'm not sure if it's because there's a higher caliber of fighter in the UFC, maybe it's the stress or maybe they've passed their peaks by the time they fight in the octagon...hard to say. i'd love to see fedor vs brock lesnar (lesnar doesn't have the record fedor has, but he's huge, lightning fast and fedor is generally pretty sluggish speedwise) or fedor vs frank mir. hell, even the rumored fedor vs couture would be a great fight. fedor KOd arlovski recently, but up until the death blow arlovski was picking him apart pretty systematically. arlovski got over excited and made a huge mistake, but otherwise he was getting the better of most of their exchanges. if you consider that fact and the fact that arlovski was once the champ in the UFC it's hard to say how fedor would fare against a more currect UFC heavyweight. personally, i think lesnar, mir or shane corwin could take fedor, but i might be totally wrong. it just seems like fedor gets lucky a lot by loading up the right hand and slugging for the fences (kinda like chuck lidell, actually...but lidell is more technically sharp).

I think Fedor takes anyone in the UFC heavyweight division, but I can't blame the UFC for not signing him. The guy wants millions per fight and cuts of the pay-per-view for a US audience that has no idea who he is, plus he wants the ability to fight for other promotions. There's no way the UFC would sign a deal like that. Affliction is losing millions per show trying to support Fedor.

And yeah, if Arlovski didn't try a dumbass flying knee he might have beaten Fedor. But he did and he has a weak chin. AMAZING knockout though. Arlovski fell like a ton of bricks straight out the air.

I think Barnett will continue to duck Fedor, so Fedor'll fight someone pretty weak in the summer (Maybe Monson?), then fight Overeem in Japan and completely dominate him.

Guest Rambo

I think you're underestimating Fedor, COE. Arlovski is actually a fantastic boxer, even more so these days. I think he was even considering just flat out becoming a boxer.

Did you see Fedor V Tim Sylvia? That puts Couture's match against Sylvia into perspective for me and i think only Lesnar would have a chance against Fedor personally. If you haven't watched all the Pride's do it!

Guest catsonearth
I think you're underestimating Fedor, COE. Arlovski is actually a fantastic boxer, even more so these days. I think he was even considering just flat out becoming a boxer.

yea, he's switching to boxing officially now. bummer. i liked that george michael looking motherfucker.

Did you see Fedor V Tim Sylvia? That puts Couture's match against Sylvia into perspective for me and i think only Lesnar would have a chance against Fedor personally. If you haven't watched all the Pride's do it!

yea, fedor finished tim silvia off pretty quickly, but i dunno...tim sylvia doesn't really represent the top of the line in my opinion. did you see sylvia fight frank mir? mir snapped his arm in half and it was like, no sweat to him whatsoever. i think frank mir could probably submit fedor if he can stay conscious long enough. lesnar definitely has a strong chance against fedor and i'd love to see that fight personally. i know a lot of people don't like brock, but i appreciate him. he's great on his feet and if he gets in a top position then there's nothing that can really stop him. his wrestling is top notch. he's a cocky bastard, but it's pretty obvious that it's mostly for show, just like most people who play that kind of role for the fans.

Guest Rambo

No i like Lesnar too. I saw one of those UFC shows (might be unleashed) where they show the training/build up to an event and i was impressed with him. Totally there on merit and i think he's good for the sport as well.

Agree about Sylvia too, i was just contrasting the fight that Couture had with him in comparison to Fedor's match.

Also, there's something that about Mir that annoys me. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's as i've got to know his personality more and more, he's just started to annoy me. I'm not really the type to get annoyed with many people either but there's something about his 'tude. So yeah, i want Lesnar to win that one.

I don't know; I think Fedor just followed the gameplan Arlovski and Couture used to beat Sylvia: blitz him with punches before he establishes his jab (and the extremely long reach that goes with it) and take it to the ground. Fedor just has MUCH better submissions than Couture, so he was able to finish the job after he rocked him. Arlovski did the same thing the first time he fought Sylvia, rocked him with punches, then submitted him while he was dazed.

I think Fedor is a horrible matchup for Lesnar because Lesnar is not the best at defending submissions, and Fedor is one of the best submission guys at Heavyweight. I think Lesnar would take him down and get leg locked the same way Mir beat him.

i dunno, i think he could continue to fight but i don't think his head is in the right place. he's got tunnel vision. he's become too confident in his ability to knock people out with that right hand that he doesn't really look for anything else. he's "right hand crazy" as some might say. not to mention he punches with his eyes closed. he just keeps that right hand loaded up and throws it with everything he's got...and he's been doing the same thing for years, so people have figured him out and now it's easy to knock him out. you just connect before he does. but his striking is still clean and aside from being too eager, he's looked pretty good in his last 3 fights up until the point where he got KOd.

can't say i'll really miss him all that much, but at the same time if randy couture can fight well into his 40s, then chuck lidell can at least stick around a few more. he's not even 40 yet himself.

i'm not sure about fedor. everybody loves him and i agree he's pretty good, but i'm just not quite sure how good in the grand scheme. a lot of fighters who dominate other leagues inevitably come over the the UFC and are just mediocre. i'm not sure if it's because there's a higher caliber of fighter in the UFC, maybe it's the stress or maybe they've passed their peaks by the time they fight in the octagon...hard to say. i'd love to see fedor vs brock lesnar (lesnar doesn't have the record fedor has, but he's huge, lightning fast and fedor is generally pretty sluggish speedwise) or fedor vs frank mir. hell, even the rumored fedor vs couture would be a great fight. fedor KOd arlovski recently, but up until the death blow arlovski was picking him apart pretty systematically. arlovski got over excited and made a huge mistake, but otherwise he was getting the better of most of their exchanges. if you consider that fact and the fact that arlovski was once the champ in the UFC it's hard to say how fedor would fare against a more currect UFC heavyweight. personally, i think lesnar, mir or shane corwin could take fedor, but i might be totally wrong. it just seems like fedor gets lucky a lot by loading up the right hand and slugging for the fences (kinda like chuck lidell, actually...but lidell is more technically sharp).

a) liddel has been ktfo in his last two fights. (ok, it was a tko vs shogun, but i fthe fight had gone on longer, lidell would have been out cold). He's been hit inthe head one too many times.

b) sorry, COE, but you're talking out of your ass here. Look at the list of Pride champions who have won in the UFC. They dominated UFC after PRIDE collapsed. And to say the lidell is more technically sharp that fedor is laughable. Watch how fast he is at getting out of a mount. Look at his record. And you can say whatever the fuck you want about his fight with arlovski but this picture right here says it all:

20090125040202_big_arlovski.JPG

fedor would have a hard time with lesnar because of his size, but his experience and skill at submissions would take it. He pwns Mir on the ground and pound, and he would just dominate Couture.

Been watching MMA for years, and while UFC has really come into its own in the last couple, before that it was all PRIDE.

oncecaseman: every goddamn UFC fan in America knows who Fedor is. Dana White doesn't want to give up the exclusive clause, which is bullshit. PRIDE let Fedor fight in other fights, noi problems there. HOwever, your analysis of why Fedor wins vs Lesnar earns you a reprieve. lol

Guest catsonearth
a) liddel has been ktfo in his last two fights. (ok, it was a tko vs shogun, but i fthe fight had gone on longer, lidell would have been out cold). He's been hit inthe head one too many times.

3 times, actually. rampage knocked him out too. sure, he's been KOd 3 times in a row, but how many times has minitauro been hit in the head and he's still fighting. not saying they're the same, but if chuck made the effort to step his game up (which he hasn't in the last few fights), then i believe he could've continued and done alright, but his last few fights have demonstrated that he's just a one trick pony.

b) sorry, COE, but you're talking out of your ass here. Look at the list of Pride champions who have won in the UFC. They dominated UFC after PRIDE collapsed.

who exactly are we talking about here? the handful that i can think of off the top of my head - wanderlei, shogun, hendo, nogueira, cro cop...they haven't exactly dominated the ufc. they've done ok, but they haven't taken anything by storm - they win some, they lose some, they power on.

And to say the lidell is more technically sharp that fedor is laughable. Watch how fast he is at getting out of a mount. Look at his record.

i think you're misunderstanding me here. i'm not saying fedor doesn't know what he's doing or isn't skilled in various techniques - i was just saying his punching style is not very technical. he swings those big looping hooks and he swings for the fences kinda like wanderlei. chuck lidell's punching style is more technical - he throws cleaner, more controlled, more precise punches whereas fedor just kinda puts his head down and swings. one style isn't better than the other, they're just different. certainly you can see the difference between the way anderson silva punches and the way fedor punches if you compare them. that's what i meant by saying that he wasn't very technically sharp.

I think Fedor is a horrible matchup for Lesnar because Lesnar is not the best at defending submissions, and Fedor is one of the best submission guys at Heavyweight. I think Lesnar would take him down and get leg locked the same way Mir beat him.

that seems like a simplistic analysis to me. i don't mean that as a personal diss - i just don't think you're taking into account how fighters grow over time. someone of brock lesnar's caliber isn't going to get played like that again. when mir got him in that heel hook, he was new to MMA and totally wasn't expecting the kind of moves mir pulled on him. but i guarantee you that after that fight lesnar spent the next 6+ months focusing on nothing but submissions and submission defense and given what a naturally skilled fighter he is, i'd say that by this point he's pretty damn good at it. i don't think it would be anywhere near as easy for someone to submit him again. if anyone was going to do it, it'd probably be fedor (or perhaps mir again), but i don't think it'd be a walk in the park for either of them. especially considering the kind of dominance lesnar shows on the ground when in top position. fedor would have to reverse the position for anything to happen and lesnar's base looks extremely strong. that's definitely one fight i'd love to see though.

oncecaseman: every goddamn UFC fan in America knows who Fedor is. Dana White doesn't want to give up the exclusive clause, which is bullshit. PRIDE let Fedor fight in other fights, noi problems there. HOwever, your analysis of why Fedor wins vs Lesnar earns you a reprieve. lol

But they're perfectly happy buying UFC's without Fedor and not buying the Affliction PPV's (at least not near as many as buy the UFC's). I think a lot of people that buy the UFC's just know the big UFC names and don't know the top guys outside the UFC like Fedor, Overeem, Mousasi, Shields, Aoki, etc.

And, my analysis of why Fedor beats Lesnar gets me a reprieve, but not my analysis on how three guys beat Sylvia all the same way? Bottom line is I think Lesnar will get beat by any top jiujitsu player. That includes Fedor, Mir, Nogueira, Gonzaga, Werdum, etc. There's no way a wrestler can learn to defend submissions from top level BJJ guys in only a couple years of training, and his standup is not polished enough to win every fight on the feet.

Archived