IGNORED

Are Onion Rings Magical?

Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was about to say, for pickley condiments, i prefer branston's pickle (never had it in a bacon sandwich tho, wonder if that would work).. and that brown sauce never seems quite as good as it could be. so is branston's brown sauce better than the others?

i was about to say, for pickley condiments, i prefer branston's pickle (never had it in a bacon sandwich tho, wonder if that would work).. and that brown sauce never seems quite as good as it could be. so is branston's brown sauce better than the others?

it has that branstons pickle tang to it. i think thye might just mix a bit in there. quite an improvement i think.

Foreign goods make it here in small doses. They can usually be found in stores like World Market that stock food and other products from Europe and Asia.

My theory regarding onion rings is that people cherish places that make them well (which is rare). The majority of onion rings I have encountered either are soggy, tasteless, or don't appear to actually have a real onion in the middle.

I dunno where you are, but here in Texas I can go to almost any local grocer, and they will have an international foods isle(s) where you can get almost anything. I love going to my Kroger and looking at the UK food section. Heinz beans in a can (tin) with it's black and turquoise label always makes me smile for some reason.

I found that HP brown sauce everyone was raving about here in the international isle. I did not try it out of fear that it tastes like shit.

You mad bastard, you've been depriving yourself! Go NOW and get a bottle!

yeah, it's good! i also like HP Fruity Sauce a lot.

I've seen this... must give it a go

i just went to sainsburys to grab a pizza. they have that branstons brown sauce. its called "branston bite" or something like that.

If anyone is ever in pimlico london i suggest you go to sainsburys and get one of their made to order pizzas.

large is 14", is only 4 quid and tastes fucking incredible. probably the best i've had in london.

i like to get a large to myself because you can rarely finish it in a single sitting so the box keeps it warm while you take a half time cigarette break.

any food that you can pause for a cigarette is amazing. i dont know which is better, the satisfaction of smoking after eating loads of fatty food or the joy of resuming your meal after the smoke.

oh and i picked up some frozen onion rings while i was there. i will review them later :)

they do them pizzas in balham sainsburys, but they're fucking cheese central man. cheese overload. too much cheese. much too much cheese.

they do them pizzas in balham sainsburys, but they're fucking cheese central man. cheese overload. too much cheese. much too much cheese.

usually i dont find that to be the case but actually this time there was someone new making them i think and hes put shit loads of everything on it and it is probably a little too much cheese but i've also got probably more meat that i've ever had on any pizza so i can deal with it.

• 3 months later...

since seeing pictures of these blooming onion things theyve been on my mind quite alot.

so i mention them to a couple of american friends here and they tell me that actually there is a chillys restaurant here in canary wharf in london. apparently they do something just the same as the blooming onion.

so i get excited and we make a date for the next week to eat there.

when we arrive theres a sign on the door saying that they went into administration only an hour before we got there.

there were still drinks and plates on the tables.

im going to kill myself.

Guest zaphod

had some atrocious ones at a red robin. they bring out the huge tower of them and i knew immediately it was going to suck.

Guest JW Modestburns

This has been on my mind for a while now and its getting quite frustrating.

Why are onion rings treated like some kind of special rare commodity?

On the menu they're usually a little pricey for a slice of onion deep fried.

In restaurants I often hear people browsing the menu and saying "oooh they have onion rings"

Fast food places like mcdonalds put them on the menu occasionally as a special limited time only thing and even then they're rationed out in such small portions you would think there was a world shortage of onions.

Yet I can go to asda and buy a frozen bag of 50 or more for about a quid. Even fresh onions are among the cheapest of vegetables and you get tons of them in a standard packaged bag. A single large onion must make quite a few rings. I don't understand this.

This is odd phenomena. It's probably just because union rings kick ass.

Guest Iain C

since seeing pictures of these blooming onion things theyve been on my mind quite alot.

so i mention them to a couple of american friends here and they tell me that actually there is a chillys restaurant here in canary wharf in london. apparently they do something just the same as the blooming onion.

when we arrive theres a sign on the door saying that they went into administration only an hour before we got there.

im going to kill myself.

You should have gone to the Burger King on the other side of the shopping centre. You get a great view of the DLR.

im going to kill myself.

You should have gone to the Burger King on the other side of the shopping centre. You get a great view of the DLR.

i shopuld have but instead we went to some place there called gourmet burger which was FUCKING SHIT!!

Guest Iain C

That place is fucking disgusting, one opened up in Greenwich a couple of years ago replacing a pie and mash shop which had been there for over 80 years...

Guest countchocula

I went to a restaurant recently called red robin and it was pretty good. They specialize in burgers, but I tried their onion rings and they were delicious. They give you a massive tower of huge onion rings, a side of ranch dressing and a side of this weird barbecue sauce/ mayonnaise mixture that is pretty good. I never thought of putting ranch dressing on an onion ring, but it is now my favorite condiment for them.

Archived