IGNORED

Beat Slicing VSTs or Au's

plus, the groove/swing "feel" in guru is REALLY nice. a pile of templates to choose from, and a much higher PPQ resolution than any host sequencer, so the feel is fantastic.

not only that, but if your sequencer accepts groove templates, you can drag-and-drop sequences from guru into your timeline and groove away.

it's actually a really slick little program, which is funny, because when i first saw it i was extremely prejudiced against "another freakin' drum machine plugin". kudos to fxpansion.

c

would one have to have the full version of Guru with all the included samples and files to exploit the 'groove' feature of it? So far i haven't been able to figure out how to use the grooves minus the library that came wirth it.

When you say 'if your sequencer accepts groove templates' how would i take Guru templates and use them on the cubase timeline? i can seriously just copy and paste?

thanks for all of your engagement in this thread, i've learned a lot!

Guest maus
would one have to have the full version of Guru with all the included samples and files to exploit the 'groove' feature of it? So far i haven't been able to figure out how to use the grooves minus the library that came wirth it.

When you say 'if your sequencer accepts groove templates' how would i take Guru templates and use them on the cubase timeline? i can seriously just copy and paste?

i just realised that the grooves might actually be a part of the library, but they're available online if you look in the usual places...

but to answer the rest of your questions, i made a quick video 'cause it seemed easier than trying to explain it... so indeed you may not have the grooves in the drop-down box until you find 'em online, but once you've got them, you'll be sorted:

Guru groove template creation video

again, this shows how to put it together in logic... cubase is probably very similar in terms of the drag-and-drop functionality, although groove / quantisation template creation is probably slightly different.

cheers,

c

the renoise post made me think of something. ReViSiT is a VST tracker that was pretty slick, I think it could hold samples as well as trigger midi it syncs to the host. I used to play around with it when it was beta, but I think the final version got released not too long ago, I haven't tried the newest version though. http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/features.htm

Guest Ultravisitor

thank you guys for all these recommendations, i'm having too much fun with all of these.

i really want to lock myself away for a week and fiddle but money wont let me.

dammit

the renoise post made me think of something. ReViSiT is a VST tracker that was pretty slick, I think it could hold samples as well as trigger midi it syncs to the host. I used to play around with it when it was beta, but I think the final version got released not too long ago, I haven't tried the newest version though. http://www.nashnet.co.uk/english/revisit/features.htm

sounds ridiculous! i'll have to try it.

Guru groove template creation video

again, this shows how to put it together in logic... cubase is probably very similar in terms of the drag-and-drop functionality, although groove / quantisation template creation is probably slightly different.

cheers,

c

woah thanks for putting in the effort i'm going to try doing this tonight with logic & cubsase. Since i last posted i obtained the guru library with the grooves.

A couple questions i still have,

In this video you show extracting a preset guru groove into logic, can one do the same thing with an oddly timed loop loaded into guru?

Is it standard for a grooves file to have a *.txt extension? And does logic allow one to make a groove just using say an audio loop?

again thanks for all your help

Guest rex sole

The downside of ReVisit is that there's no internal sample editing yet, which pretty much kills it's usefulness for cutting up beats quickly and efficiently. Long-term though it looks like the solution to my sequencer/tracker conundrum!

Guest maus
In this video you show extracting a preset guru groove into logic, can one do the same thing with an oddly timed loop loaded into guru?

Is it standard for a grooves file to have a *.txt extension? And does logic allow one to make a groove just using say an audio loop?

again thanks for all your help

you can drag any sequence from guru into the timeline as you saw in the video... i think what you're asking is if guru will impart the groove or quantisation artifacts from the loops you load into it when you drag those sequences to the timeline.

to the best of my understanding, however, guru simply does its best to approximate any unusual timing of the loops loaded into it, but the slices it makes are locked to a rigid 16th / 32nd note (depending on the resolution you have selected in guru) grid.

now logic (and likely anything else that reads groove templates) bases its groove templates on the midi information in the regions you are making them from. so if guru is just approximating your loop's groove using straight 16th note unshuffled sequences, dragging them directly into logic (or cubase) won't do anything special.

also, keep in mind that guru doesn't have a traditional PPQ resolution limitation. it actually bases its timing on audio sample rate. the website states that at 44.1 and 120BPM, this equates to roughly 20050 PPQ. logic still has (as far as i know) only 960 PPQ resolution, so when you drag and drop sequences from guru, you're going to get what i can only describe as "midi aliasing", although in most cases it's going to be imperceptible.

of course, when you're dealing with groove and "feel" (as MPC purists will zealously attest) that difference in PPQ resolution might make all the difference. it's a kind of a black art, in my opinion, and you might feel that aliasing your grooves in logic or cubase takes the life out of them. your mileage may vary.

i'm not too familiar with how the groove templates in guru itself are created, and it's possible that you can generate those somehow and load them into guru (and subsequently into your sequencer.)

i have seen reference to turning audio information into groove templates in logic, but i haven't really researched it. i'll have a look round and see what i can find out though.

rock,

c

Archived