IGNORED

Breakfast at Sulimay's

Guest chax

Guest chax

has anyone else watched this series? joe has some pretty insightful commentary most of the time. old people are can be scary..i wonder what i'll be like if i'm old..if i survive until then

Guest chax

we need to get them to review some idm so i propose the following:

1) everyone agree on a song for them to review

2) everyone contact woodshopfilms.com to get them to do it

the song should probably be something recent...any ideas?

Spot on with Animal Collective.

I guess old people don't like osinatos and counterpoint.

Guest Rabid

Growls Garden :rolleyes:

Guest IRARI

i'd like to know joe's thoughts on vordhosbn

OK I can see calling the arpeggiated chord an ostinato (kind of, really it's still just a chord), but counterpoint? There was some vocal harmony in there, but I couldn't spot any counterpoint.

me neither then

they said exactly what i though when i heard that song

OK I can see calling the arpeggiated chord an ostinato (kind of, really it's still just a chord), but counterpoint? There was some vocal harmony in there, but I couldn't spot any counterpoint.

An ostinato is any repetitive motif. An arpeggio can be an ostinato, especially in this case, since it's setting up the melody part to be played over it. An arpeggio has a strict definition, whereas an ostinato isn't so objective. There is counterpoint happening behind the melody since it's not just repeating the same material. Lots of threes and sixes being played at the same time with alternating rhythm, which is actually a really good technique.

By the way, most harmony can be considered counterpoint since harmony is mainly just a bunch of melodies being played at the same time.

An ostinato is any repetitive motif. An arpeggio can be an ostinato, especially in this case, since it's setting up the melody part to be played over it. An arpeggio has a strict definition, whereas an ostinato isn't so objective. There is counterpoint happening behind the melody since it's not just repeating the same material. Lots of threes and sixes being played at the same time with alternating rhythm, which is actually a really good technique.

By the way, most harmony can be considered counterpoint since harmony is mainly just a bunch of melodies being played at the same time.

I'm actually having a hard time picking out a main melody there...

I think you might find that harmony is more in depth than "a bunch of melodies being played at the same time".

I actually quite like this song, which is something, cause I don't like most Animal Collective stuff at all.

I'm actually having a hard time picking out a main melody there...

I think you might find that harmony is more in depth than "a bunch of melodies being played at the same time".

Should I take a picture of my music degree for you?

sure, should I take one of mine for you?

actually, on second thought, you should ask for a refund if that's what they taught you.

Not really.

You have one melody line. Then you go and repeat that same part up a third. Then you repeat that same part up another third. Now you have a melody that's harmonized in a triad. Three separate melodies that have the same contour but start and end on different notes.

I think you're trying to make it a lot more complicated than it really is. Music is pretty simple. It's all just repeating the same material with a different spin.

Guest ms-dos

only a fag from berklee would scan his degree and post it on an internet message board to 'win' an argument.

hoooly shit.

Archived