IGNORED

Dimlite is the best

Guest No Pomo

Liked this track quite abit...thanks for the heads up

really like how you can see the progression from trip-hop, to instrumental hip-hop (like Blockhead et al) to this wonky stuff.

I think this blows Flying Lotus away. It's very similar in style, but it's actually really musical. To my ears Flying Lotus has the form but not the musicality, so it just sounds gimmicky to me.

I was thinking something along those lines last night when playing This is Embracing. The "wonk" elements are slight, but yes it's a very musical and fun album (both are). I enjoy Flying Lotus but when comparing Los Angeles to this, it's like he just stretches the "wonk" sound out for the whole album and just adds little touches here and there...so as you said, a bit gimmicky. It's enjoyable but not very melodic. It feels very samey, and I felt 1983 was more diverse.

As I said before, I've had both Dimlite albums for a couple of years but appreciate being reminded of them as I'm hearing them a bit differently now...having since been exposed to more wonk and glitch-hop. I've played both albums twice this week and seem to appreciate them a bit more than I did a year ago. I still think his style has more in common with Prefuse 73 than the newer crop of wonk/glitch-hop artists, but can see that he fits nicely in the transition.

Archived