IGNORED

Live from below the Antarctic ice

beariksson

Providing an acoustic live stream of the Antarctic underwater soundscape is a formidable challange. After all, more than 15000 km lie between Antarctica and our institute in Germany. Underwater sound is recorded by means of two hydrophones by PALAOA, an autonomous, wind and solar powered observatory located on the Ekström ice shelf (Boebel et al., 2006). The data stream is transmitted via wireless LAN from PALAOA to the German Neumayer Base. From there, a permanent satellite link transmits the data to the AWI in Germany.

SPECTRUM.jpg

http://www.awi.de/en/research/new_technologies/marine_observing_systems/ocean_acoustics/palaoa/palaoa_livestream/

i've only listened to this for about a minute and have already heard some extremely creepy sounds. this would be perfect to sample from, or use as field recordings, or whatever

edit wtf - offline?

this is fucking awesome.

i might have to put this on when i go to sleep

some stuff i im trying to figure out though...theres one sound like a boat foghorn

and then theres another that literally sounds like someone is slamming a door.

what the hell is causing all of these sounds? it doesn't even sound natural, it sounds more electronic than anything

this is really tripping me out

it keeps getting fasterrrrr

i recorded about a minute of these strange noises...is it some kind of animal or whale or something? you have to increase the volume a lot in order to hear it clearly

i'm really glad this stream exists, i think i'm going to fall asleep tonight listening to it...i'll report back if it causes nightmares

PALAOA - 20091020-2052 PALAOA Instreamer.mp3

i'm really glad this stream exists, i think i'm going to fall asleep tonight listening to it...i'll report back if it causes nightmares

haha me too, I've been sitting here for like 2 hours straight listening. my girlfriend thinks I'm :crazy:.

haha me too, I've been sitting here for like 2 hours straight listening. my girlfriend thinks I'm :crazy:.

this is my plan tonight as well, though i am concerned by the warning saying one should be prepared for sudden and extremely loud noise...which would not be helpful

this is my plan tonight as well, though i am concerned by the warning saying one should be prepared for sudden and extremely loud noise...which would not be helpful

seriously. Not to mention the robot voice telling you the station is offline every time it losese the feed or whatever

Archived