IGNORED

Any headphone freaks here?

Guest Al Hounos

Guest Al Hounos

!!! :emotawesomepm9: just found a high-end headphones-only store here in Seoul. living in a mega-city has its perks! now i'll actually get to try this stuff before droppin big dollas! maybe they'll even let me plug in my Cowon....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky... the best thing I have around here is a Guitar Center. I can't make up my mind as to what I want... at first I wanted to go more portable with either the ESW9As or Ultrasone 750s both of which get decent reviews for SQ but for the same price I can get the Denon D2000s and for bit more I could get the D5000s which are amazing for I have heard them before, but both sacrifice portability for their warm harmonic beauty, which is what I'm ultimately after I suppose... but god damn.

Grados are open phones... I'm in the market for closed phones, though the sound signature on those Grado's is amazing but tailored more towards rock and such. Plus they are esthetically pleasing.

I tried out a set of IEMs a few years back and they weren't my thing... but yeah I too have read about the IE8s just about everywhere... they are moderately price too, just not my thing :( I'm going to check out the Ultrasone Pro 900s at Guitar Center today, that's the only phone they carry that I might be interested in, just a bit over my budget.

Dude, fine choice! I just got an unexpected bonus from work so I think I'm going to jump on the Ultrasone Pro 900s since the only thing holding me back was the extra cost.

i used to hate headphones until i got my sennheiser hd-25's... i've never gotten such lush sounds out of a pair of headphones before. at about $180, i'd say they're well worth it.

D4 is what I'm considering sometime in the future... currently I have the T3 fed by a line out from my sansa fuze and it's wonderful for a portable setup.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I just got a decent tube amplifier (Audiotailor Jade), and the Grados have much deeper bass now. I think I'll keep them.

It has 2 outputs actually -- I think one of them is actually a solid state output.

My grandpa has hundreds of tubes in boxes in his attic, I'll have to see if there are any that fit this amp.

I'd like to get a tube amp one of these days but I'm trying to conquer this hobby in moderation. I got my Ultrasone Pro 900s in today... they are currently burning in ... my initial impression is kind of weak but we shall see have about 50 hours of burn in.

Guest Al Hounos

awesome, that's a serious looking amp. I'm about to order the Little Dot MkIII.

I tried out some phones at a shop yesterday, and was a bit disappointed with the AKG K701s... very cold and thin sounding. Precise and detailed for sure, but they just weren't very nice sounding to my ears.

I tried some Audio Technica AD900s which seemed like a step down from my Senn HD555s, which I have recently modded to be identical to 595s... simply removed a small piece of foam behind the drivers.

Also tried Grado RS-2, and they sounded really great, a polar opposite of the AKGs... warm and full, but didn't seem to lose any detail or add tones to the music that wasn't supposed to be there. I really enjoyed them, with one catch - after 5 minutes the scratchy foam pads were bugging my ears. Why build great phones and go and make them on-ear? Stupid stupid...

I quite liked the Beyer DT880, similar to my Senns i thought but with better bass and slightly more precise sounding. Not enough to make them a real upgrade.

But they didn't have Sennheiser HD600 or HD650, which was what I really wanted to try. :angry: Oh well, I'll just have to buy them and see. They are easy to sell if I'm not happy with them.

Burn in? lol....

Burn in has helped with all my previous headphone purchases, I don't see why it wouldn't with these. Have you experienced otherwise?

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I guess theoretically I could buy it since headphones have moving parts... but I really think it's BS.

Nah man, you probably just never had a pair that needed it. Some do, some don't. Grado's absolutely need burn-in.

Grados out of the box : no bass

Grados 12 hours later after pluggin them into an amp + rock radio station : bass!

Archived