IGNORED

NAMM 2010

kcinsu

alesis_palmtrack.jpg

Alesis have announced the Palm Track 24-Bit SD Card Field Recorder. Here's the feature list...

* Stereo and four-capsule omni pickup patterns

* 44.1/48kHz, 64–320 kbps MP3

* 16/24-bit WAV

* Auto gain or switchable gain

* Bass compensation, Chorus, Pitch Shift, Delay, Reverb, MP3 Voice Cancel, and Tuner

* Inputs for connecting 1/8" mic and line-level audio

* Includes 1GB SD card, works with cards up to 16GB

* USB for Mac and PC mass storage/card reader operation

* 8 hrs on 2 AA batteries, included

* LED readout

korg_sosrecorder.jpg

Korg has introduced the SOUND on SOUND (SOS) Unlimited Track Recorder, which they say enables musicians to capture and develop musical ideas as they happen, wherever they are. Battery-powered and completely self-contained, the SOS contains a high-quality stereo microphone and a built-in speaker for all-in-one recording and monitoring. Here's what Korg have to say...

Unlike other portable recorders (even multi-track), the SOS allows for an infinite number of overdubs or alternate takes to be recorded. Each track, take or overdub is recorded as an individual CD-quality 16-bit / 44.1 kHz WAV file, and saved directly to a microSD or microSDHC card. Accurate BWF (Broadcast Wave Format) timing information is embedded in each track, meaning all tracks will automatically line up when imported into a computer-based DAW system for further editing, mixdown and final playback. The SOS can record up to 200 songs in the traditional linear manner, or be set to loop a specific section. Memory consumption is roughly 100 recorded minutes per GB (gigabyte).

The SOS provides a number of high-end features for creating professional quality recordings. On board are 100 effect programs derived from Korg's acclaimed REMS modeling system, divided into Guitar and Bass, Microphone and Master categories. Nine of those effects provide real-time control using the LCD touchscreen.

Additional features include:

* Built-in Guitar, Bass and Chromatic tuners

* Fifty internal rhythm patterns (with four variations each), providing a solid, steady beat

* Sound Stretch™ function that can alter the playback speed without affecting the pitch, for practice and study applications

* Backlit touchscreen display that offers extreme ease of use

* Unlimited Undo function

* Free software provides basic audio editing and easy CD burning

* Compact design that allows tabletop or handheld operation

In addition to the internal microphone, the SOS provides a 1/4" balanced instrument input, an 1/8" mic input and an 1/8" stereo line input to accommodate nearly any source recording. A stereo headphone output is also provided.

SOS owners can download the free compatible Korg Audio Utility software from the Korg website.

Pricing and Availability:

The SOUND on SOUND (SOS) recorder will be available April 2010 with an MSRP of $400.00.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest uptowndevil

ALli've ever wanted from the electribes is usb (get rid of smart media), more memory, and individual outputs for each channel (or stream the audio thru usb).

yeah, you are spot on there. i filled up my sample bank in the first few hours i owned the esx, it'd be nice to link it to an external drive like the later mpc's. smart media needs to disappear forever.

ik_stealthboard.jpg

IK Multimedia has introduced StealthBoard, which they tell us is the first USB-MIDI floor controller for guitar and bass players that gives you full control over your entire rig. They say that you may now control your software and/or hardware-based tone and effects units, plus channel switching, all from just one unit on the floor. Here's all the details from the press release...

If you use amp modeling and effects software or hardware live, this is the controller for you. StealthBoard features a USB MIDI port for direct connection to your computer, as well as MIDI in/out connections for any other MIDI controllable gear, including amplifiers. It is the perfect control partner for your rack or floor audio interface, giving you more control over more parameters than any other controller on the market in an intuitive, natural way.

* Control AmpliTube or any "Powered by AmpliTube" software with no additional setup - simply plug your computer into the USB port of the StealthBoard and immediately access thousands of "Powered by AmpliTube" presets and parameters.

* Fully control any MIDI-based hardware or software Amp Modeler - you will be able to fully control anything that responds to MIDI messages via USB and finally unleash their software or hardware rig power.

* Full control of your MIDI-enabled amps and effects processors - with just one unit. The StealthBoard operates also as a standalone MIDI controller for all your existing MIDI gear.

* Amp Channel Switching gives you control of your existing amp and effects with just one unit and expands your live sonic palette.

StealthBoard also works with any audio interface and is the perfect companion to IK's StealthPedal™ wah-style audio interface.

StealthBoard features

* USB/MIDI floor controller

* 10 assignable switches + 1 built-in expression pedal

* 4 optional external controllers (pedals/switches)

* Large 4-Digit display

* MIDI IN / OUT

* Dual channel switching outputs

* Controls any AmpliTube product without additional setup

* Can be used with any MIDI controllable software

* Controls any MIDI controllable hardware FX processor or MIDI device

* Includes AmpliTube 3 Custom Shop™ edition

* 3-way power supply (DC, USB, Battery)

* Rugged design

* Program/backup via computer

StealthBoard will be available in early second quarter of 2010, and will have a Suggested Retail Price of €299.99 (ex VAT).

ua_uad2_powered_logo.jpg

Universal Audio has announced a partnership with the legendary Ampex Corporation to develop magnetic tape emulations. Here's their press statement...

Ampex is famous in the professional audio world as innovators of magnetic tape and tape recorder technology -- widely praised for its rich, almost magical sound quality. For the first time ever, Universal Audio's renowned team of DSP engineers will exhaustively and faithfully model these complex devices and media, bringing accurate emulations of Ampex magnetic recording tape to the UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins platform.

"Ampex is not only the most recognizable maker of US-made tape machines; they really pioneered the concepts that gave way to modern multi-tracking and overdubbing,", commented Universal Audio President Matt Ward. "But it's really the sound of these amazing machines, along with their well-guarded tape formulas, that birthed the golden-era of record production. The fact that these designs are still in use today is a testament to the Ampex brand's iconic status in the world of professional recording."

"Ampex is quite pleased to be returning to the professional audio market after many years away; and in such a unique fashion," stated Gordon Strickland, President and CEO of Ampex Corp. "It took a company like Universal Audio, who understood that the Ampex name could be made 'new' again for multiple generations of audio customers through the latest advancements in DSP technology. We are well aware of the value of the Ampex brand, and we protect it accordingly. Our discussions with UA convinced us that they would be a good partner and would create products that we could all be proud of."

"We've long known that Tape machines would be considered the 'holy grail' of audio plug-ins. This is something that our customers have been demanding for quite some time," confirmed UAD Plug-In Product Manager Will Shanks. "So we're taking great pains to ensure that our efforts will satisfy our most discriminating customers' expectations, not to mention our own. We're very excited to have both the Ampex Corporation and form

alesis_videotrack.jpg

Alesis have announced Video Track, anSD Card-based portable field recorder for video and audio.

* Capture web-ready video and quality audio perfect for sharing

* Upload to YouTube or Facebook

* Two high-quality condenser mics

* Advanced DSP image-processing technology and zoom

* 640x480 Quicktime .mov files

* Rechargeable, user-replaceable lithium-ion battery

* Records to SD and SDHC cards USB for Mac and PC mass storage/card reader operation

TBA

allenheath_xone_dx.jpg

^i think this thing was already available

-----------------------

plzplzplz let there be an imposcar 2 and s.o.b. from gforce

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand harmony central crashes *

large-torero.jpg

PRS offers a floyd rose bridge. Interesting...

sneaky liiiiiiikess

yeah everything PRS does is pretty much pure win. Granted expensive pure win. I really want a semi-hollow body prs, but they are like $3000

digitech announced some affordable stereo looping pedals, with usb. Nice, but digitech quality can be a bit on the fence sometimes.

-----------------------------------

INFO on new VIRUS OS

Overdrive Stomp Boxes

OS4 for the entire Virus TI line of synthesizers brings 6 more distortion flavors to the table, modeled on vintage guitar distortion pedals. Every one of these classic pedals is famous for its distinctive character and has been exploited by some of the greatest guitar heroes of all time. The virtual stomp boxes feature carefully modeled distortion curves and tonal characteristics and include tone controls where appropriate.

Mint Overdrive - The sound of this one just screams tubes - a very special kind of overdrive which results in a wonderful smokey tone. Good for achieving a subtle distortion effect whilst still retaining headroom for dynamics.

Curry Overdrive - A more extreme distortion, like in the original, this does not feature a Tone control.

Saffron Overdrive - The ʻorangeʼ one. A very harsh distortion, popular with the grunge movement.

Onion Overdrive - A big distortion effect famous for its fuzzy character.

Pepper Overdrive - A clear, powerful distortion thatʼs perfect for making leads cut right through the mix. Tone control to soften sound with a lowpass filter.

Chili Overdrive - A classic “fuzzbox” overdrive. No tone control, just in-your-face fuzz.

Watch a video on the Stomp boxes

Vowel Filter

This effect is a simple and effective way to vocalize any sound similar to the way a talk box or vocoder would do.

Watch a video on the Vowel Filter

Comb Filter

The new comb filter creates everything from subtle, pitched overtones to extreme time-warped deconstruction of any given patch.

Watch a video on the Comb Filter

Arpeggiator To Matrix

OS4 for the Virus TI series introduces a powerful new feature that allows you use the arpeggiator pattern to modulate any of the parameters available to the modulation matrix. You can use this to create dynamic, rhythmical patterns within a sound, similar to what you can achieve with a step sequencer.

large-AC30VR_Photo1.jpg

Nice affordable offers from vox(another great company known for quality)

VOX Introduces VR Series Guitar Amplifiers with Valve Reactor Technology

January 14, 2010

Advertisement

VOX Amplification has announced the release of its new AC30VR and AC15VR "VR Series" combo amplifiers. The series features VOX's proven Valve Reactor technology, along with the classic split panel cosmetics of the AC30 and AC15 amplifiers, resulting in a flexible new amp line for today's player.

The VR Series is designed to provide the nuanced tone of a classic amp while still appealing to the more modern player. Both amplifiers in the series offer two channels: Normal and Overdrive. The Normal channel offers the traditional "chimey" VOX tone. The Overdrive channel features an extra gain knob and a dual-mode Style switch, offering both vintage and cutting-edge flavors. Master Volume and Master Reverb controls are also provided.

The Valve Reactor circuitry uses a 12AX7 vacuum tube in the power stage to shape the sound for an authentic tube tone. The circuit also includes a virtual speaker load, to accurately capture the interaction between the amplifier and speaker.

The AC30VR's Normal channel offers Treble and Bass tone controls; the Overdrive channel features its own Treble and Bass controls and adds a Middle control. The Master section features the VOX Tone Cut control for dampening the high frequencies. Both channels on the AC15VR share the same Treble and Bass tone controls. The optional VFS2 footswitch provides hands-free channel switching and reverb on/off

VOX's new AC30VR and AC15VR amplifier models will be available February 2010 with details and pricing as follows:

Model: AC30VR

Details: 30 Watts / 2 x 12" VX Celestion speakers

U.S. MSRP: $800.00

Model: AC15VR

Details: 15 Watts / 1 x 12" VX Celestion speaker

U.S. MSRP: $500.00

The best guitar I ever played was a PRS santana model back in '97 probably. That same day I bought

3380184_1.jpg

which incidentaly, thoroughly quenched my guitar lust, and essentially took me off the market forever, until it got stolen in 2001, but that's a whole other story. If I was on the market for a new electric right now, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

But alas it will be some time, as the synth bug has taken hold.

ALli've ever wanted from the electribes is usb (get rid of smart media), more memory, and individual outputs for each channel (or stream the audio thru usb).

yeah, you are spot on there. i filled up my sample bank in the first few hours i owned the esx, it'd be nice to link it to an external drive like the later mpc's. smart media needs to disappear forever.

exactly

The best guitar I ever played was a PRS santana model back in '97 probably. That same day I bought

3380184_1.jpg

which incidentaly, thoroughly quenched my guitar lust, and essentially took me off the market forever, until it got stolen in 2001, but that's a whole other story. If I was on the market for a new electric right now, I'd get that in a heartbeat.

But alas it will be some time, as the synth bug has taken hold.

yeah the prs santana is nice. All prs's are nice. The only thing that ever makes aprsnot nice is up to the way it looks ;).

I like the ibanez js series too (im pretty sure that's whats pictured). Though the lower end js100 has nothing on the top of the line js1000. Look similar, but totally different feel, tone, and playability.

Agreed, i'm more into synth news too, especially since i got NI Komplete w/ guitar rig, plus the vst fx i already had, i'm pretty well taken care of. But I plan to start playing live in a band again soon, hopefully. So I always have a special place for super exciting new guitar stuff. I would LOVE to be able to affordthe moog guitar.that thing is ace, espeically with midi now.

numark_ns7fx.jpg

Numark tell us that their new NS7FX is "The serious system." Here's the feature list that they have supplied...

* Motorized, direct-drive DJ software-control system with FX

* Includes Serato ITCH software

* Includes NSFX effects controller

* 24-bit audiophile-grade audio

* High-resolution USB-MIDI interface

* Mouse-free library navigation

* Strip Search virtual needle drop

* Integrated laptop stand

* Free, high resolution tracks through Whitelabel.net

NS7 CASE also available.

TBA

I like the ibanez js series too (im pretty sure that's whats pictured). Though the lower end js100 has nothing on the top of the line js1000. Look similar, but totally different feel, tone, and playability.

Agreed, i'm more into synth news too, especially since i got NI Komplete w/ guitar rig, plus the vst fx i already had, i'm pretty well taken care of. But I plan to start playing live in a band again soon, hopefully. So I always have a special place for super exciting new guitar stuff. I would LOVE to be able to affordthe moog guitar.that thing is ace, espeically with midi now.

yeah, that's a satriani. I had a bit of a time finding a pic of my model with the dark red + wood grain. The fucker's beautiful.

OH LORD WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR A SOLID MIDI GUITAR IN MY ARSENAL.

Fuck I dunno I'd probably turn into the fluhbalb. But you know... I'l bet I could control a x0x0x box with one of them bitches.... How neato would THAT be? EH?

John Bowen Solaris:

Also for those that haven't heard. This thing is finally launching. Supposed to be the ultimate, VA, Sample , FM, Wavetable, etc synth. Very expesive. But quality.

Solaris_Overview_btm.jpg

Solaris - Specifications

Oscillators Four (4) oscillators. Each can be of the following types:

* MultiMode (standard waveshapes, combinations, plus double saw)

* WaveTable (wavetables 1-64 from the Waldorf Microwave synthesizers)

* Sample playback (.wav file or Akai format)

* CEM VCO chip model (like those used in the later Rev. 3.x versions of the Prophet 5)

* model of the waveform oscillators used in the Prophet VS

* (temperature stable) model of the oscillators used in the MiniMoog.

Rotors Two (2) rotors which are special sound sources, implemented as a looping wavesequence of four (4) waveshapes, played successively.

Filters Four (4) filters. Each can be of the following types:

* SSM VCF chip model (like those used in earlier Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 versions of the Prophet 5)

* CEM VCF chip model (like those used in the later Rev. 3.x versions of the Prophet 5)

* model of the MiniMoog 'ladder' filter

* model of the Oberheim State Variable Filter (found in earlier Oberheim synthesizers), Lowpass only

* comb filter (two types, with positive and negative feedback).

Mixers Four (4) mixers, each with four inputs. Effects can be inserted post-mix before these feed into their respective filters.

Vector Mixers Two (2) separate vector mixers, each with four (4) inputs assignable to the cardinal points of the built-in joystick for manual blending.

Envelope Generators (EGs) Six (6) EGs, each with five (5) stages - Delay, Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release.

Looping Envelope Generator One looping envelope generator, with eight (8) stages. Variable Loop Start and Key Off (Sustain) points. Times and Levels can be modulated, and output is bi-polar.

Low Frequency Oscillators (LFOs) Four (4) LFOs plus one (1) LFO dedicated (i.e., already pre-wired) to oscillators as Vibrato LFO. Each LFO offers control over delayed start, fade-in and fade-out times, key sync and phase control.

Effects Phaser, chorus/flanger, delay, and 3-band EQ effects are available. The series order of the FX is user-definable. There are also three (3) Insert Effects, which can be pre- or post-filter. These are Decimation, BitChop, and Distortion.

Keyboard Fatar manufactured 61-key weighted, dynamic bubble contact, monophonic after-touch strip

Performance controls

* two wheels (pitch and modulation)

* joystick

* ribbon controller

Main display one (1) 240 x 60 backlit graphic display

Section displays five (5) 2 x 40 backlit character displays

MIDI In/Out/Thru jacks

Power 120-240V (AC) ??W

Dimensions 39" x 16" x 6" (WxDxH) 98 x 41 x 15 cm (WxDxH)

Weight approximately 33 pounds (15kg)

yeah, that's a satriani. I had a bit of a time finding a pic of my model with the dark red + wood grain. The fucker's beautiful.

OH LORD WHAT I WOULD GIVE FOR A SOLID MIDI GUITAR IN MY ARSENAL.

Fuck I dunno I'd probably turn into the fluhbalb. But you know... I'l bet I could control a x0x0x box with one of them bitches.... How neato would THAT be? EH?

There's some decently affordable midi guitar options, mostly midi fits, that can go on any guitar. Midi ax springs to mind.

Still no news on:

Abelton/Serato - Partnership

DSI - New product

Gmedia - 2 new products

Major soft synths

Though most soft synth companies have decided not to go to NAMM anymore. Native Instruments being one of the big ones.

encore electronics are selling nord g1/g2 dsp expansion cards for those (like me) who never got one while clavia were selling them.

http://www.encoreelectronics.com 399 usd for a g1 and 499 for g2.

yeah, good on them for doing that. I miss clavia being a synth company.

Ableton and Serato present The Bridge

The Bridge spans the gap between music production and DJing, creating a natural link between Ableton Live and Serato Scratch Live or ITCH. The Bridge provides a powerful fusion of DJ and production tools, opening a world of opportunities for DJing, remixing and live performance.

You can cross the Bridge in either direction:

Ableton to Serato

The Bridge provides Ableton Transport Control (ATC), giving you turntable-style control of your own multitrack productions. Simply drag an Ableton Live Set to a deck in Scratch Live or ITCH and use your turntables, CDJ or ITCH controller to control the transport.

The Bridge provides Ableton Transport Control (ATC), giving you turntable-style control of your own multitrack productions. Simply drag an Ableton Live Set to a deck in Scratch Live or ITCH and use your turntables, CDJ or ITCH controller to control the transport. With ATC, Scratch Live or ITCH provides your productions with deck control, mixing, nudging and DJ style looping, while you can remix, mute/solo tracks, use virtual instruments, change drum patterns, manipulate audio, tweak effects and launch loops on the fly in Ableton Live.

Serato to Ableton

The Bridge provides the ultimate mixtape creation tool. DJs can perform mixes in Serato Scratch Live or ITCH and save them as an Ableton Live Set. This way, the DJ can still perform the mix—better than cut and pasting it together in a DAW—but also has detailed editing options.

Play your mix rather than cut and paste in a DAW. Forget about having to start a mixtape from scratch because of a mistake at minute fifty-nine. The Bridge is the ultimate mixtape creation tool, letting you export your Scratch Live or ITCH mix as an Ableton Live set. Depending on your Serato hardware setup, fader movements, EQ tweaks and Crossfader cuts on your DJ mixer are recorded as automation and can be edited after the tape stops rolling.

Pricing and availability:

The Bridge is free for anyone who owns both:

* A registered version of Serato Scratch Live or ITCH hardware and

* Ableton Live 8 or Suite 8

so far all of the controllers look that way except the EMU ones. They actually seem decent with all the features.

Actually, the cakewalk ones look just like what i would expect a behringer roland knock off to look like.

Guest analogue wings

Except that Cakewalk is owned by Roland so they are probably actually Rolands.

Controller that guaranteed to work with Sonar sounds good to me :shuriken:

NICE!

rane.jpg

Rane announces the Sixtyeight DJ mixer

Introducing the first professional DJ mixer with two USB 2.0 High Speed ports with support for real-time connection of two computers. Two DJs can work in parallel and/or seamlessly transition from one DJ to another.

- Two independent USB 2.0 High Speed ports, each supporting twenty-two, 32-bit floating-point audio channels at 48 kHz.

- Real-time support for two computers.

- Support for 2, 3 or 4 Virtual Decks on one or two computers.

- Direct control of over 30 Scratch Live Library, Cue and Loop functions.

- Unique FlexFx bus:

- Process a sub-mix of up to six audio channels.

- Six internal effects with seamless on-beat switching between effects.

- External analog insert support for legacy hardware effects.

- USB insert support for computer-based effects.

- Four full-featured input channels:

- Four stereo Phono/CD inputs of Line, Phono or S/PDIF.

- Four stereo auxiliary inputs.

- Four stereo USB playback options.

- Two mic inputs: one with phantom power and one with line-level.

- 3-band full-cut EQ, plus new High-pass / Low-pass Filter.

- Flexible USB recording options, record from any PGM or output.

- Internal universal switching power supply (100-230 VAC)

- Unit size: 14.3"H x 12"W x 4"D (36.4 cm x 30.5 cm x 10.2 cm)

- Weight: 11.3 lb (5.2 kg)

- Shipping Size: 7.75"H x 12.75"W x 19.25"D (19.7 cm x 32.5 cm x 49 cm)

- Weight: 12 lb (5.5 kg)

More info on www.rane.com

Archived