IGNORED

The Day America Died

karmakramer

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

exactly. its so insane. is anyone opposing this? anyone? or have they been paid off to shut up already?

did you even read the article?

Hours after the ruling, President Obama responded, saying the court has given "the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington -- while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates."

In a statement, he said he is telling his administration "to get to work immediately with Congress on this issue. We are going to talk with bipartisan congressional leaders to develop a forceful response to this decision. The public interest requires nothing less."

"The Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics," Obama said. "It is a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies and the other powerful interests that marshal their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans."

lol. yeah i read it and noted that part after i posted. i heard this elsewhere but didnt hear the obama bit. well at least he's trying to sound like hes decent.

the inevitable swingback to the other side has begun this week i see.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8484400.stm

President Obama also tackled lobbying. He had openly criticised last week's ruling by the Supreme Court rejecting long-standing limits on how much companies can spend on political campaigns.

"I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, and worse, by foreign entities," he said.

His words brought a reaction from Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, who shook his head and appeared to mouth the words, "No, it's not true".

uhh, what is alito on about?

he thinks its about freedom as if corporations are individuals, I think, so basically was disagreeing with the way Obama described it... what did you guys think of his SOTU speech?

I wrote this on another forum

"I thought this speech was actually one of his best perhaps. Sure it didn't have all the flash and emotion of some of his other speeches, but its tougher more informal tone really separated him from the suits in Washington and appear more as a fighter for the common man. Palin is right, it was a lecture, but its a lecture Americans very much wanted to hear, and he managed to pull it off without sounding condescending. A very balanced performance, one that made typical politics seem like a game our senators were spending way too much time playing and enjoying."

Archived