IGNORED

Fish oil prevents psychosis

lumpenprol

Guest Masonic Boom

There's quite a difference between "eating fish is healthy for you" and "Omega 3 is a wonder drug that can cure everything from psychosis to erectile problems!!!!" Which is how this is being sold - especially from people with products (i.e. Omega Supplements) to sell.

I'm just trying to say that a little healthy skepticism if necessary for a lot of these wild claims that get made about miracle foods and wonder drugs.

And your assertion of "let the scientists figure the real shit out rather than test shit that has already been tested" just shows how little you know about the Scientific Method.

Experimental results can be all over the place, due to natural variance. The point of the Scientific Method is to prove which are demonstrable, replicable results and which are the flukes. This means that a study is not valid unless you can replicate it again and again and again.

Too often those fluke studies are the ones that get published and especially publicised - ESPECIALLY when those results are in line with a product that someone wants to promote.

And your assertion of "let the scientists figure the real shit out rather than test shit that has already been tested" just shows how little you know about the Scientific Method.

Experimental results can be all over the place, due to natural variance. The point of the Scientific Method is to prove which are demonstrable, replicable results and which are the flukes. This means that a study is not valid unless you can replicate it again and again and again.

Too often those fluke studies are the ones that get published and especially publicised - ESPECIALLY when those results are in line with a product that someone wants to promote.

yeah yeah, scientific method, tell it to your fucking biology teacher

It's not the studies or results that are sponsored, it's the results that are used by promotional forces of the world because they need to be (mostly) accurate in their product description

whether you should use any supplements is up to the individual, one can decide to either recognize the multitude of positive effect study results on omega 3 in particular and make a decision from there, or simply disregard it, eat a lot of fish instead or munch out on Burger King, whatever's good for ya.

Guest Masonic Boom

Your arguments are really ill thought out, and you posit false dichotomies as if these are the only choices available to people in their eating habits.

There is no such thing as a wonder drug. Nutrition and health are far more wholistic and balanced affairs than simply taking supplments or increasing one kind of food.

Guest Masonic Boom

Spelled that way deliberately to distance the concept from the "Holistic" movement which is just as dodgy ground.

Your arguments are really ill thought out, and you posit false dichotomies as if these are the only choices available to people in their eating habits.

There is no such thing as a wonder drug. Nutrition and health are far more wholistic and balanced affairs than simply taking supplments or increasing one kind of food.

yeah but it will definitely help if you don't eat any fish

i'm not in here for the argument, i'm in here cause you're being a dick and people deserve to know the truth :emotawesomepm9:

Guest Masonic Boom

In my case, seeing as I'm allergic to seafood, not eating fish is a huge reason that I'm still alive. Given that eating fish causes extreme reactions that could kill me or land me in the hospital.

So yeah, the only reason I'm being skeptical is coz I'm "a dick" rather than logical reasons to be wary of fairy dust, the easter bunny and supposed one-pill-sures-all wonder drugs.

In my case, seeing as I'm allergic to seafood, not eating fish is a huge reason that I'm still alive. Given that eating fish causes extreme reactions that could kill me or land me in the hospital.

Go see a doctor cause in most cases it's the protein you're allergic to, in which case there are omega 3 supplements that can work for you, ask him to check out your levels and see how it checks out

Guest Coalbucket PI

Youre kind of being a dick chimera.

This is a study of 80 people. It's promising but it doesn't prove much. A lot of people have a real agenda against pharmaceuticals which is why I distrust these kind of reports in newspapers.

Archived