IGNORED

Fish oil prevents psychosis

lumpenprol

Saw the link while reading the article on Obama cancelling the moon program. This is fascinating and a big :facepalm: for the pharmaceutical industry if true:

A three-month course of the supplement appeared to be as effective as drugs, cutting the rate of psychotic illness like schizophrenia by a quarter.

the same nutrients can be acquired from a combination of two or three of the following including: hemp seed/hemp oil, flax seed/flax oil, chia seed, avocado, purslane greens (salad green)

raw non-roasted chocolate beans/powder, maca root (among other sources), if one wants a vegan alternative without all the heavy metals and toxic, clogging elements of fish oil.

I think the mercury is in long-lived pelagic fish (tuna, swordfish, etc).

According to what I can find online, fish oil is ok:

Answer

According to this article in the New York Times, there is no problem with mercury in fish oil. There is false information being spread by some companies selling more expensive fish oil. I am no expert. Read these two articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/health/24real.html

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/mercury-and-fish-oil.html

I will leave the answers below untouched.

Answer

You need to get top quality products. Try a health food store.

Answer

The amount can vary, and in many cases, it is below the detectable levels. So the true answer is unknown. Use flax seed oil instead. There is no risk of mercury with it. The body transforms flax seed oil into omega-3.

Answer

In response to the above answer... Indeed the true answer is unknown.. although most studies have proven that chemicals (including mercury) are undetectable in the oils (due to the refining process). AS for substituting flax seed oil instead... this is interesting... I would only recommend this if you have fish allergies, or are vegan!

To those of you who may be under the impression that the Omega 3 oils in flax seed oil are the same as the Omega 3 oils found in fish oil.... The answer is a resounding no!!! While the Omega-3 fats in flax seed oil and fish oil are related, they do have a different chemical makeup.

There are three main types of fatty acids. EPA, DHA (Fish oil) and ALA (FLax seed oil). Flax seed oil vs fish oil is as simple as ALA vs EPA, DHA.

It is harder for your body to get the Omega 3's out of the ALA fatty acids!

There is no harm in taking both flax seed oil and fish oil, but if you're taking the supplements to get the benefits touted for Omega 3's, you'd probably be better off just taking the fish oil supplements.

When taking fish oil supplements, make sure that the supplements you are taking are pharmaceutical grade fish oil. This will ensure that you're getting quality fish oil supplements without getting any nasty toxins left in the fish.

In the battle of flax seed oil vs fish oil, both have their benefits, but fish oil definitely wins the battle.

Another interesting link re: prostate cancer and flax oil vs. fish oil:

"The fatty acids found in fish may slightly lower a man's risk of prostate cancer, but another type of fatty acid found in a range of foods may raise the risk, a large study suggests. Researchers found that among nearly 48,000 U.S. men followed for 14 years, those with the highest intakes of two fatty acids found in oily fish were 26 percent less likely than men with the lowest intakes to develop advanced prostate cancer. The opposite was true, however, when it came to alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA. Like the two fish-oil fats, ALA is an omega-3 unsaturated fatty acid that is thought to promote heart health; it is found in vegetable sources such as soybeans, canola oil, walnuts and flaxseed, and to a lesser extent in meat and dairy products. In this study, men with the highest intake of ALA were about twice as likely as those with the lowest intakes to develop advanced prostate cancer. And the risk was increased regardless of whether the ALA came from vegetable or animal sources, according to findings published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition."

Guest Masonic Boom

I would like to see repeated studies on this before drawing any conclusions. Too often the media reads a report of one study (which may even show misleading or partial conclusions) and concocts a whole story around it.

I've just seen too many wonder-drug stories around fish oils which are routinely debunked in the Guardian's Bad Science column to take any of them particularly seriously.

You cannot draw conclusions on just one study. The results have to be replicable. Which means that you do several dozen studies, and then you do a meta-analysis on the conglomeration of those studies, and *then* you draw your conclusions about effects. Which most journos - even "science" journos cannot be bothered to do. Hate to harsh-buzz yr clit-ons by bringing the Maths, but it's my job as mathematician.

(I eat a large amount of nuts and seeds regularly in my diet anyway as I'm 1) vegetarian and 2) allergic to seafood anyway, and it's done nothing for my state of mind)

I would like to see repeated studies on this before drawing any conclusions. Too often the media reads a report of one study (which may even show misleading or partial conclusions) and concocts a whole story around it.

lol

there's been more studies on omega 3 fatty acids than any other natural supplement in the world

they're all pretty much unanimous, regularly consuming foods or supplements with high levels of omega 3 nutrients will:

cut the risk of heart and cardiovascular diseases in half

increase IQ in children if given to them early on and/or consumed during pregnancy

reduce risk of stroke and alzheimers, diabetes, liver disease I can go on and on

improve mental and physical faculties, blood flow etc

remedy depression (to various degrees of course)

the only reason that it's not patented by some medical corporation is because it's difficult to patent fish

I know my way around omega 3 supplements and here's a few tips:

Look for really high omega 3 contents, in other words no cocktails and at least 65% pure omega 3 fatty acids (they can really convolute this one on the packages, they may say 100% fish oil but of which only 20% is pure fatty acids), 70% fatty acid content will cut the time it will take to have a thorough effect by several months. look for high DHA and EPA content folks, no extra junk

also make sure it's fish and not seal or sunflower/veggy oil: seal because omg clubbed baby seals (and has no better testing results than fish), veggy oils because they are redundantly difficult for the body to process, it only occures on a 5-8% scale

Guest Masonic Boom

So far, of the half dozen or so links I've read, half of them refered to exactly the same study, reported in different lights. Another was on a page directly sponsored by a fish oil retailer. The others linked to single studies with no indication of whether these results were replicable in multiple trials.

Like I said, I'd like to see some scientific meta-analysis on these results. That does not mean "google up the first dozen results for omega oil" especially considering how many paid links show up in your results.

If you're so hellbent on seeing this in an educated mindset, educate yourself, I don't have the time to educate you, I just googled up a few links because I don't have the time to dig up the sources I got when I worked with these kinds of supplements. long story short, a shit load of supplements are bullshit, omega 3 isn't.

shit it's not rocket science, fish is really fucking healthy for you, simple as that

history has made it pretty clear that people in fish rich areas are generally much healthier than people who rarely touch fish, and there's already been numerous trials, believe it or not

let the scientists figure the real shit out rather than test shit that has already been tested

If you're so hellbent on seeing this in an educated mindset, educate yourself, I don't have the time to educate you, I just googled up a few links because I don't have the time to dig up the sources I got when I worked with these kinds of supplements. long story short, a shit load of supplements are bullshit, omega 3 isn't.

shit it's not rocket science, fish is really fucking healthy for you, simple as that

history has made it pretty clear that people in fish rich areas are generally much healthier than people who rarely touch fish, and there's already been numerous trials, believe it or not

let the scientists figure the real shit out rather than test shit that has already been tested

being healthy through a good diet is different from "CUTS SCHIZOPHRENIA, RETARDATION, CANCER AND IMPOTENCY BY A QUARTER OMG MIRACLE FISH"

i'd like to see some sources for those assertions.

Archived