IGNORED

Judee Sill - The Kiss

marf

This is one of my favorite songs. Every time I hear it, there is a good chance I will start crying... and I RARELY cry to music.

This poor girl had a pretty hard/short life. I heard she learned to write songs in jail. Original gangsta.

If you sift through the Favorite outubes thread, I'm pretty sure you'll find my post with this clip in it.

Genius.

ive been listening to 'jesus was a crossmaker' because of this thread and i must say that even after a couple of listens the song wont leave my head. theres something strange about the way she sings, i like it.

Guest Masonic Boom

She's one of those people I really wish I could get into more, but it never really seems to take.

Every review I read is always like "this should have my name all over it" but I end up taking it off and putting on a Wendy & Bonnie record instead.

she was really gangster. Really disfunctional. SHame.

Her albums to me were over produced. Too many overdubs. SHe should have stuck with this simple style of singing one take over a piano. Much more natural

a few articles in the washington post, the observer and uncut say different. thats not like it diminishes the hardships she went through tho. by all accounts youre certainly right, she had a rough life.

the long stretch she did was in reform school. im sure she did short stints in jail

one thing i will say is that 'jesus was a crossmaker' sounds better without the embellishments. ive heard some bbc live acoustic sessions that sound incredibly beautiful and much more... real (i couldnt find a better word) without the strings and such

lets not over gangsterize her.

check out this article...

http://www.canadianchristianity.com/bc/bccn/0607/22sill.html

"She began experimenting with drugs, and participated in a half dozen armed robberies while in high school..."

"Her husband would later die in a river rafting accident while high on LSD. "

"Heroin was the main concern, and before long they were reduced to living out of a car, with Sill working as a prostitute, turning tricks in order to support her $150 a day habit. "

"...she had alienated (David) Geffen by outing him - referring to his homosexuality in an interview, years before he went public. Geffen was furious, and immediately pulled advertising for the disc. Without support, the album disappeared."

straight thuggin gangsta

judeesill1.jpg

Archived