IGNORED

Hipsters on food stamps

Guest chax

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

I have no problem with people buying healthy but slightly more expensive food with food stamps. Actually a basic healthy diet is far cheaper than buying tons of shrink wrapped instant meals... unless you are working two or three jobs I guess and literally have no time to cook. I don't understand why anyone should go hungry in such a rich country -- for things like this, I'm totally willing to pay higher taxes.

I could probably live on $0/month for food actually, since my workplace gives out free fruit all day in the cafeteria for lunch, and there are usually pizzas and doughnuts left over from long meetings that you can scoop up if you have connections. We get free soda and non-carb water from the fountain all day, and free coffee and herbal teas. Plus people are always bringing in squash and radishes and crap from their garden (I know how that is -- when I was a kid we would have stretches were we'd have zucchini for dinner 5 days in a row as my mom was too damn cheap to just give the extra away -- not poor, just cheap.)

This may be different from when I was growing up, but school cafeterias used to throw out whole trays of things like rolls, cookies, chicken strips, etc. that hadn't been touched but they weren't allowed to keep more than X amount of days in the fridge. They would just sit outside the door in the back of the school.

There is so much unused space around here that is just grass and scrub brush -- I don't know why we can't have community gardens like they have downtown.

There are also lots of blackberry and salmonberry bushes outside but you would have to be careful that they weren't sprayed I suppose.

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

Another thing I would do if I was homeless would be to hunt all the deer and elk and pigeons we have running around. Some of the deer just look miserable and emaciated. The city pigeons are so stupid you could just stomp them to death and barbeque them in one of the irons in the park....

Lol at pigeon kicking -- remember that thread?

And re: the zucchini -- I don't mean on the side or anything. I mean the main course: Stuffed zucchini, zucchini pancakes, boiled zucchini, baked zucchini...

Guest JW Modestburns

when i'm actually in Toronto properly i wanna do some charity hand-out-shit-to-poor-people-etc shit. if any fucking hipsters come in there asking for food while clutching an iphone i'll fucking clock them one good and hard in the face.

Fuck that. 3G is a necessity.

Besides, some poor sap will always give you food.

That hipster on food stamps provides the best answer possible as to why hipster loathing is en vogue (emphasis mine):

In any case, the word "hipster" as a pejorative seems to imply "white," and that reflects the larger race and class conflicts in this country -- the underlying sentiment behind many people's hatred toward artists is that art is purely the domain of the wealthy and the privileged. I can tell you that many of the artists I know in Baltimore work as dishwashers, baby sitters, house cleaners, movers and dog walkers. They temp, sling coffee and freelance. They teach inner-city kids and counsel rape victims to make ends meet. They come from all walks of life and from all parts of the country, they are black, white, Asian and Latino, and all of them struggle to varying degrees.

if you're an artist - devote your life to it and work hard while you starve. If you're any good, you'll get recognized. Otherwise, stop bemoaning the fact you're not making money off your career as an "artiste" and get fucking sorted with some proper work that isn't in the "creative industry" (i.e. marketers, advertisers, telephone santizers).

Guest uptowndevil

That hipster on food stamps provides the best answer possible as to why hipster loathing is en vogue (emphasis mine):

In any case, the word "hipster" as a pejorative seems to imply "white," and that reflects the larger race and class conflicts in this country -- the underlying sentiment behind many people's hatred toward artists is that art is purely the domain of the wealthy and the privileged. I can tell you that many of the artists I know in Baltimore work as dishwashers, baby sitters, house cleaners, movers and dog walkers. They temp, sling coffee and freelance. They teach inner-city kids and counsel rape victims to make ends meet. They come from all walks of life and from all parts of the country, they are black, white, Asian and Latino, and all of them struggle to varying degrees.

if you're an artist - devote your life to it and work hard while you starve. If you're any good, you'll get recognized. Otherwise, stop bemoaning the fact you're not making money off your career as an "artiste" and get fucking sorted with some proper work that isn't in the "creative industry" (i.e. marketers, advertisers, telephone santizers).

or put a bullet in your head, which is what i would do rather than work at one of those suggested jobs.

or put a bullet in your head, which is what i would do rather than work at one of those suggested jobs.

here here

though hipsters I know have been black, non-artistic, and work soulless jobs with much success...so...i dunno where i was going with this.

im eating rice with chopped tomatoes and random herbs that i bought bright eyed thinking i would cook real shit when i moved out and just sat in my cupboard for 7 months while i ate burger and curry and baguette expresses until i really have now run out of money.

anyway my rice costs me like 1.50 a week, the chopped tomatoes about 1.20 a day. im guessin its not too healthy but itl do me for two weeks till i go home for easter.

sometimes when im feeling daring i buy an onion. thats cool.

the worst part is being sober

Guest 277: 930-933

part-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging jobpart-time blogging job

Archived