IGNORED

Yo Renoise Peeps

wahrk

The piano roll in Ableton is sub-par for programming an adequate level of minutia quickly and accurately.

i agree i also have similar issues with it's audio editing timeline features, they work and you have the bread and butter but it has like 50% of the features that logic and cubase does for editing/splicing audio

i really really badly ant to wrap my head around how to use a vertical keyboard based tracker, it's so confusing to me. Are there good 'getting started' tutorials for it?

Yeah, the automation is really bare bones too.

The introductory video on the Renoise homepage goes through making a basic song and explains it pretty well. There's a Quick Start Guide along with the manual on the website. There is also the Renoise Wiki under the Community section of the website. The forum is also super helpful.

Another invaluable resource that I recommend highly is the Keyboard Shortcut list. While you're doing your first tracks, think about the actions you're making and say, "Is there a keyboard shortcut?" or "Is there a faster keyboard shortcut?". Chances are that there will be one and it will rock your world once you get a handful of them down, such as:

• F1-F8 navigate between views.
  • Ctrl+Up/Down/Home/End commands navigate the pattern sequencer when you are in the pattern editor.
  • Numpad navigates your instruments.
  • Ctrl+[number] commands change your edit step.

Also, under the pattern editor there is a little drop down that says "FX". This is a list of all the effect commands usable in the pattern editor. Newbies best friend.

Other Helpful Tidbits:

• Right click any parameter in the native DSP effects to put its value into the effect column on the current line.
  • Use the Renoise Tuplet Calculator for figuring out tuplets (you memorize them after a while).
  • Renoise has recently added tools, which add awesome new features to the program. (I use Generate Custom Wave all the time.)

Guest Scrambled Ears

The piano roll in Ableton is sub-par for programming an adequate level of minutia quickly and accurately.

i agree i also have similar issues with it's audio editing timeline features, they work and you have the bread and butter but it has like 50% of the features that logic and cubase does for editing/splicing audio

i really really badly ant to wrap my head around how to use a vertical keyboard based tracker, it's so confusing to me. Are there good 'getting started' tutorials for it?

It's not so hard and its cool for very fast stuff though I have made all kinds of tracks in renoise. Honestly though my problem with it is that I have a hard time hearing a "song" in renoise. The seperate patterns makes each part seem like a segment and connecting the segments can be challenging...then you have to go back and change the numbers around a lot for each pattern to make variations if need be.

Don't get me wrong, I really like renoise and the clip view is great and I've even gotten solid recordings with it, but I prefer horizontal sequencer for making a track vertical for making beats. As far as time signatures I like vertical as well because you see more into the theory of it by just highlighting the proper timing. Allows you to see the rhythm within the rhythm which can be very helpful and enlightening. Furthermore the onboard effects are sweet and the send controls make it easy to isolate effect chains. For $80 I'd say its a solid as hell.

if it wasn't for renoise i would've stopped making music years ago (as in when dos trackers stopped working properly in windows). thanks renoise!

your music isn't typical renoise fare as far as i can tell, if there is such a thing... do you really primarily use renoise?

Archived