IGNORED

Extensive music collections

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest Franklin

most of my collection in on a harddrive in my old comp... I can't be arsed to plug it into my new comp. I have about 50 gigs or something... none of it is categorized beyond album.

for those interested (including the OPoster) there's a book called the paradox of choice by barry schwartz... it's about modern consumerism but I think the fundamental studies linking excessive choice (whatever the thing is, e.g. blue jeans, tomato sauces or music tracks to listen to) and unhappiness. There is a kind of a paralysis when we have too much to select from.

sounds like some of the problems going on in here.

Ya, I read an article (maybe about this book) where this guy was giving an example of buying blue jeans. He was like "There are 75 pairs of jeans in a store... I tried on jeans for hours, and bought the pair I thought was most comfortable. The problem is: I didn't try all the jeans on, so I kept feeling like I was missing out, like there was a better, more comfortable pair of jeans out there if I would just look."

"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom" - Kierkegaard

Ya this is one of Barry's anecdotes. He has a TED talk on the subject too. One of his major points is that when we have too much choice we tend to regret the choice we make b/c with all this choice comes the illusion that there can be a "perfect" choice... but chances are slim that there are, or that you'd find it anyway unless you tried on EVERY blue jean or whatever. So whatever choice we do make we compare it to what we think of as the "perfect" and end up disappointed.

anyway something similar may be going on when we have shit-ton loads of musics and we are looking for the perfect track for our mood or the day or whatever and because of the mass selection that we've built up either we can't pick or we move from selection to selection to find something more perfect for us at that particular time.

i just listen to Phil Hendrie instead anyway b/c I'm always in the mood to laugh.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

most of my collection in on a harddrive in my old comp... I can't be arsed to plug it into my new comp. I have about 50 gigs or something... none of it is categorized beyond album.

for those interested (including the OPoster) there's a book called the paradox of choice by barry schwartz... it's about modern consumerism but I think the fundamental studies linking excessive choice (whatever the thing is, e.g. blue jeans, tomato sauces or music tracks to listen to) and unhappiness. There is a kind of a paralysis when we have too much to select from.

Ya, I read an article (maybe about this book) where this guy was giving an example of buying blue jeans. He was like "There are 75 pairs of jeans in a store... I tried on jeans for hours, and bought the pair I thought was most comfortable. The problem is: I didn't try all the jeans on, so I kept feeling like I was missing out, like there was a better, more comfortable pair of jeans out there if I would just look."

That's exactly the same thing that can happen with music. If you go on listening to everything and keep adding and adding more music, you will go crazy and end up enjoying little or even nothing from it.

I have a large collection because i like a lot of stuff, but i really can't call everything "favorite". Sometimes i keep listening to the same stuff for entire weeks.

But having too much can be dangerous, i have noticed that. It gets a bit confusing sometimes.

Ya this is one of Barry's anecdotes. He has a TED talk on the subject too. One of his major points is that when we have too much choice we tend to regret the choice we make b/c with all this choice comes the illusion that there can be a "perfect" choice... but chances are slim that there are, or that you'd find it anyway unless you tried on EVERY blue jean or whatever. So whatever choice we do make we compare it to what we think of as the "perfect" and end up disappointed.

anyway something similar may be going on when we have shit-ton loads of musics and we are looking for the perfect track for our mood or the day or whatever and because of the mass selection that we've built up either we can't pick or we move from selection to selection to find something more perfect for us at that particular time.

Interesting stuff...sounds all too true.

Sometimes silence is good, too. There's all kinds of stuff I planned to listen to today but my last album ended a while ago and I haven't put on another one yet. I've sampled a few albums from my Amazon wishlist though. :emotawesomepm9:

i think the anxiety stems from thinking that there is an objective "best". the best is what you're enjoying at that moment. in another moment, you will be different, and the music and jeans will feel different.

i have a ton of music but usually end up listening to a few albums at a time and getting to know them. when i need something new i tool around ekt or find out what my friends are listening to. sorted!

Guest Calx Sherbet

36,507 songs on a 1TB drive

nice, i think that's the most i've heard so far

i think the anxiety stems from thinking that there is an objective "best". the best is what you're enjoying at that moment. in another moment, you will be different, and the music and jeans will feel different.

i've always wanted to try to put this in words, but wow, you just did! and so simply put too

Guest Calx Sherbet

OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS INTERESTING THREAD

HERE'S THE WAY I CLICK ON THE MP3 FILE.

AND HERE'S THE APPLICATION IN WHICH IT OPENS.

HERE'S THE WAY I ORGANIZE THE FOLDERS.

AND HERE'S HOW MANY GIGS OF FILES I HAVE.

DER DER DER

nigga wat

OMG I CAN'T WAIT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS INTERESTING THREAD

HERE'S THE WAY I CLICK ON THE MP3 FILE.

AND HERE'S THE APPLICATION IN WHICH IT OPENS.

HERE'S THE WAY I ORGANIZE THE FOLDERS.

AND HERE'S HOW MANY GIGS OF FILES I HAVE.

DER DER DER

nigga wat

no he's actually doing it right

and thank you :flower:

thanks dude, I love checking out books on stuff like this, will investigate today

Archived