4.Points in matches between tied teams

5.Goal Differential in matches between tied teams

6.Goals Scored in matches between tied teams

7.Drawing of lots organized by the FIFA Organizing Committee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Alex C

Much much better performance, JT and Upson with those blocks were fucking heroes. Nice to see Gerrard and Rooney link up a whole lot better and Ashley go forward a hell of a lot more.

Don't care that we've now got the harder path, but the opportunity to put out the squareheads followed by Argies?Yes please!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

so goals scored decides who is top if points and goal diff are same?

Correct, and the U.S. are deserving.

Yeah, it's negligible, but yes, I think the U.S. were deserving of top of the group. Their first half against Slovenia was shit beyond shit. Their second half was the best half of football in all of Group C. Their entire game against England was deserving of the draw. They killed the Algerians. England were probably a smidge better against the U.S., they did what they needed against Slovenia, and they were dreadful against Algeria for 90 minutes. So yeah, fair to the U.S. to be top of group, but not by a wide margin.

i dunno. neither US or England have anyone who can score.

i suppose the US deserve top for not being shit (as expected) and england deserve 2nd for being shit (not expected).

s'all good.

so what chance does ghana have of beating germany? and i guess serbia should beat australia?

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the pub went insane when US scored. the england game tv went black with 30secs remaining. i think someone unplugged it somehow. my wife fell down my shoe fell off. beer flying. one guy shirt off beatign his chest whilst his friends threw beer at him.

then they played "born in the USA"

and i was like av-312.jpg

the pub went insane when US scored. the england game tv went black with 30secs remaining. i think someone unplugged it somehow. my wife fell down my shoe fell off. beer flying. one guy shirt off beatign his chest whilst his friends threw beer at him.

then they played "born in the USA"

and i was like av-312.jpg

lol

Guest Dirty Protest

ITV shouldnt be allowed sport. BBC punditry beats it in every way, well except Garth Crooks, but i figure they just keep him around to fulfill some sort of positive action quota.

Guest Mirezzi

Eh, Andy, I wouldn't say the U.S. have nobody who can score. That's far more true of England so far and I'm not just going by the fact the U.S. scored 4 to England's 2 so far. England haven't even been fortunate enough to have goals taken away.

4 goals in group games is respectable. Since they actually scored 6 goals, I think the U.S. have plenty of threat on attack. Their biggest problem is still in defense.

Replacing Onyewu in the middle with Bocanegra and putting Bornstein at leftback was a HUGELY important decision for Bradley and the U.S. probably didn't concede today, thanks in part to Onyewu being on the bench where he belongs. He has neither form nor fitness right now and that's not surprising...the fucking guy hasn't played football since, what, January?

Guest Mirezzi

Even the BBC has at large parts been poor, it's depressing

Have they? ESPN have been fine. I think Harkes does a good job of keeping his favoritism in check and Ally McCoist / Martin Tyler are great...so is Ian Darke, who I wasn't familiar with until this World Cup. He comes up with lots of clever (if dry) British things to say.

"The United States are running down many roads against Slovenia, but so far, they all end in a cul-de-sac."

Efan Ekoku is good, too, and makes me lol because as a silly African, he calls just about everybody "boy."

"Ronaldo is a lucky boy not to be booked."

Guest Alex C

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

pretty much sums it up. They're in a pretty fucking privileged position and they don't even bother researching teams or looking into stuff, it infuriates me more when it's public money being spent and Lee Dixon and Alan Hansen just go 'I don't know much about Slovakia' only for him to have something told about their 'star player' Hamsik

it's a farce and insulting

Guest Mirezzi

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Tom-English-39The-level-of.6364084.jp

pretty much sums it up. They're in a pretty fucking privileged position and they don't even bother researching teams or looking into stuff, it infuriates me more when it's public money being spent and Lee Dixon and Alan Hansen just go 'I don't know much about Slovakia' only for him to have something told about their 'star player' Hamsik

it's a farce and insulting

Ahh, same could not be said of the ESPN dudes. Now, that being said, the number of idiotic things being said by Alexi Lalas is *always* high, so the studio pundits are a mixed bag at ESPN. Klinsmann is also pretty boring, but I like him so he gets a pass. Roberto Martinez, Steve McManaman, and Ruud Gullit have been great.

Ugh. Back to the football game...

Two terrible yellows in this Germany - Ghana game already. Mueller and Ayew being told they can't fucking tackle, apparently, for fear of a card from this cunt of a ref.

Guest Dirty Protest

That piece reads like a bitter hack, im guessing Clarence Seedorf knows Italian football better than Tom English. If I wanted someone who knew a list of names i'ld ask a black cab driver, if I wanted the analysis of a match, i'ld ask Roy Hodgson

Guest Mirezzi

I get tired of retired legends doing commentary though. Most the time, they just dust these fuckers off so everybody can revel in yesteryear while they blather on. Klinsmann has been a bit like that, so has Gullit.

I liked Giorgio Chinaglia, because he was quite literally batshit crazy and would get in fights on air with Lalas.

Anybody who just watched Klinsmann at the half on ESPN knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Mike Tirico: What do you want to see from Germany in the second half?

Klinsmann: Far more...determine. Far more determined. More determination.

Archived