IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

disappointing

Terrible. FIFA really should have made sure these teams played in the first or second round of the group stage. Oh well.

disappointing

Terrible. FIFA really should have made sure these teams played in the first or second round of the group stage. Oh well.

i had such high hopes for this match.

horrible game-killing, diving, hand-balling deigos :facepalm:

Guest Mirezzi

It wasn't as bad as Germany / Austria in 1982 (that was truly scandalous), but it was indeed a boring joke of a game.

I think both teams played to win in the first half, hence the number of fouls and yellow cards. In the second half, it was obvious they didn't wanna risk suspensions through more yellows or a sending off.

Martin Tyler and John Harkes seemed to buy the tantrums Dunga was selling from the sidelines. It was obvious he wanted his team to time waste and get out of the game without injuries or needless suspensions. Gullit is the only one who seems to realize it was all smoke-n-mirrors.

The Germany / Austria game in 1982 was different because by colluding the way they did, they kept Algeria out.

Guest Alex C

Germany Austria in 82, Germany needed a goal to go through and so would Austria so they let them score and they just passed it around for 90 minutes

it's why all final group games are now played at the same

time

Guest Mirezzi

someone elaborate on the germany/australia game... what'd they do?

Austria.

West Germany scored an early goal against Austria, then both teams had a nice game of kick the ball back and forth for 90 minutes, exchanging short passes in the midfield and sipping tea while talking about how much they hate muslims.

This was, in part, because Algeria were on 4 points, having beaten Chile the day before. It was a mathematical bit of collusion as West Germany and Austria knew that a 1-0 defeat would put both teams through since Germany had a 2 goal advantage in goal differential.

As a result, in future World Cups, they started doing the simultaneous play for the final match of the group stage to prevent collusion. It hasn't always worked, mind you, especially in the internet/cell phone age because teams will constantly know what's happening in the other game that's being played. FIFA always talk big about how they're going to "crack down" on any teams attempting to manipulate points by agreeing to certain scores and outcomes, but we all know how corrupt FIFA is, so fat lot of good it does.

Guest Mirezzi

glad it was algeria that got their butts peed in. i've read the stranger. i know what they're like.

haha, when we had to beat Algeria to go through, I kept having flashbacks of one of my favorite films, Battle of Algiers. "Oh no, are these fuckers going to bring bombs to the game?" We're not French, dammit!

Guest Mirezzi

i'm totally changing my name to Nichtangriffspakt von Gijón

lol, it all worked out in the end when Rossi and my beloved azzurri wops fucked Germany in the face and went on to win the world cup.

Archived