IGNORED

The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Guest Mirezzi

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mirezzi

i forgot Guiza existed. He looked good in the euro 08

Yep, he and Senna were vital. Now Senna is old and Guiza is exiled to Fennerbache, apparently.

Yeah glad it turned out this way. Nice offensive play by Chile to get that 1 goal with 10 man. They've got loads of guts which I really like. The red card might have been harsh, but they deserved a second yellow on other tackles. Not the most exciting ending, but 2 of the most attractive playing sides of the tournament advance, no complaints here.

Have you seen how high up field they were playing in the first half? They had the game under control by putting pressure on very high. That takes a lot of guts, a good deep ball on Torres could have been very lethal. But it was the only way they could disturb Spains quick passing style. Even in the second half they went from defense to offense very smoothly. Spain had to add another midfielder to get more control over midfield.

Ofcourse, when it seemed clear Spain wasn't going to take any more risks and you can't press 45 minutes with 10 men the game grinds to a halt. And going hunting for first place when Spain brought in another excellent playmaker Fabregas that can easily dominate midfield would have been plain stupid. Chile played well minus the stupid cards and defensive misjudgements. They deserve to go through.

Guest Mirezzi

Either way, only a jesus-hating heathen would want Switzerland to make it into the knockouts. With Greece, Algeria, and now Switzerland, the nastiest of the cynical turds are all out.

pressuring up high takes a lot of guts? wth? that's just what you do when you want the ball. yeah first half was okay, second half just reminded me of the germany austria story.

Guest Mirezzi

pressuring up high takes a lot of guts? wth? that's just what you do when you want the ball. yeah first half was okay, second half just reminded me of the germany austria story.

Oh, it was definitely intentional...that is never going to change in the World Cup.

still not something to be proud of.

mex v uru was similar in a way, with the subtitutions, mex decided first place was not worth risking the qualification. but at least they played some football.

Guest Mirezzi

Alright, sweet peas, the stage is set. Uruguay should dispose of South Korea but I expect it to be a highly contested game. I'm calling it 2-1 for Uruguay, winning goal in extra time.

Ghana and U.S.A. should be an even closer match, with the Americans ability to score goals from the run of play outlasting the physicality and experience of the Ghaneans. This is really the last chance for this generation of Black Stars to do something special in the World Cup. For Appiah, Essien, and to a lesser extent, Muntari and Gyan, 2014 is out of the question. "What if..." will be asked for years to come about Essien. He's the player I miss most in this tournament among the injured superstars.

I think Ghana's futility in front of the goal will bite them in the ass. If they don't dive their way to penalty kicks like they did in 2006, the Americans should win this one 3-1, with two goals scored in the last 15 minutes.

Guest Conor74

Spain Portugal?

Could break all records for consecutive rolls by an uninjured player, most episodes of surrounding the ref, most use of crocodile tears, greatest use of the 'give 'im a card' gesture, followed by most 'I don't believe you've given me a card' gestures etc. etc.

If England meet either, I hope they kick lumps out of them and give them something real to roll around and cry about.

Guest Conor74

Oh and if England on the other side of the draw, give me any team at all. Any team that gives them a few digs will get my full support.

Guest Mirezzi

So amped for this day. Here we go, fellas. The real tournament has begun; all pretenders have exited stage left.

Anybody think these Nike commercials are fucking hilarious? Kobe Bryant and Ronaldinho being in them is especially ridiculous. A shame because Nike's commercials during the 2006 WC (or was it Euro 2008?) were incredible. The ones with the POV cam?

Guest Mirezzi

Bah, Uruguay not able to make Korea pay for another defensive mistake and a great midfield tackle from Diego Perez. Why? Because the line judge, cunt that he is, cunt that most of them are, waved his faggoty little flag for offside. He wasn't offside.

Archived