IGNORED

James Joyce predicts Gantz Graf

futureimage

Guest bigs

joyce is, hands down, my favorite author of all time. i've only been through finnegan's wake (what he believed to be his masterpiece) once, but i've read portrait and ulysses many times over and both are truly stunning. i wouldn't say he shares anything with ae other than his constantly changing voice. i think t.s. eliot touches on a lot of what ae does sonically. both truly amazing artists!

Guest bigs
:emotawesomepm9: awesome! i saw some of the manuscripts for ulysses but that was in a museum setting. fuckin' cool. his aunt (or someone like that) had them stowed away in an attic for years haha. she had no idea anyone wanted them!

neat!

32 years later, someone tried to form actual words around Gnatz Graf:

The symmetriad is a million - a billion, rather - raised to the power of _N_: it is incomprehensible. We pass through vast halls, each with a capacity of ten Kronecker units, and creep like so many ants clinging to the folds of breathing vaults and craning to watch the flight of soaring girders, opalescent in the glare of searchlights, and elastic domes which criss-cross and balance each other unerringly, the perfection of a moment, since everything here passes and fades, The essence of this architecture is movement synchronized towards a precise objective. We observe a fraction of the process, like hearing the vibration of a single string in an orchestra of supergiants. We know, but cannot grasp, that above and below, beyond the limits of perception or imagination, thousands and millions of simultaneous transformations are at work, interlinked like a musical score by mathematical counterpoint. It has been described as a symphony in geometry, but we lack the ears to hear it.

Stanislaw Lem, Solaris, 1961

Guest bardamu

Stanislaw Lem's depictions of Solaris often come to mind when I listen to ae. When I tell people I see "shapes" in the music, what I'm really trying to say is "I'm seeing symmetriads form and dissolve on the ocean of Solaris..."

Archived