IGNORED

Moave - The longest track I have ever written

Dragon

So I was playing around with my keyboard the other day when I discovered a certain three-bar melody. I found that I could make longer and shorter versions of this melody, and I thought I'd write them down.

"Moave" is built around a core melody which, throughout the course of the track, expands and contracts through an additive process (it gets longer and shorter). I suppose I took some inspiration from 'Two Pages' written by Philip Glass, as well as other works that use similar minimalist techniques.

This is by far the longest track I have ever written. It uses over 400 bars of sheet music, and the MIDI version is nearly fifteen minutes long. I'm posting an MP3 version which lasts for 11:17 and plays at a slightly faster tempo (the music is exactly the same).

This may sound repetitive to those who don't pay full attention. I urge you to listen closely, and pick out the fine details. Focus on what is being repeated and what isn't. Ladies and Gentlemen of WATMM, I present to you, Moave.

Moave.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who found this track to be too repetitive, I have created another version - "Moave 2" - which evolves a lot faster than the original. Hopefully a lot more of you should enjoy it.

Moave 2.mp3

Guest Scrambled Ears

the ideas are nice but i find the sound rather grating...like a robot learning the xylophone

the second one is not bad, you're on to something, but there's not enough sound variety. you could take this technique further with chords, multiple instruments, panning, note velocity, delay/reverb, etc.

Archived