IGNORED

novation 49 SL MkII or akai MPK61

gettin a midi controller to use with ableton

which one of these do you think is best? the novation is slightly more expensive even tho it has less keys.

im wondering if anyone with experience with either can tell me some pros and cons about each

i like the novation for its look and the LCD showing what each knob is doing

things i like about mpk are the arpeggiator (dont know if the novation has that too, wasnt advertised), and the 61 keys

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controllers/sl_mkii

http://www.akaipro.com/mpk61

thx

Having purchased a Novation SL 49 Compact, I can say that the keys on it feel awesome, BUT automap is shit. I've had nothing but problems with it. Other people get along with it just fine, but I could not. Making custom setups for it is kind of a pain and pretty much a must if you want to use anything other than the keys for any program that it's not automatically mapped to. It does alright with Live I guess.

I'd recommend the Akai personally. They make great hardware. The encoders/sliders have a great feel to them (way better than the Novation's IMO) and I'm sure the pads do to (because it's freaking Akai).

Guest arbee

yeah I'm in the same situation. I want to get a new midi controller with 49 keys. Kinda leaning towards the MPK49 because of the low price (compared to novation's stuff) and it seems to get pretty nice reviews on the net.

waiting for opinions here, too. thnks

Having purchased a Novation SL 49 Compact, I can say that the keys on it feel awesome, BUT automap is shit. I've had nothing but problems with it. Other people get along with it just fine, but I could not. Making custom setups for it is kind of a pain and pretty much a must if you want to use anything other than the keys for any program that it's not automatically mapped to. It does alright with Live I guess.

I'd recommend the Akai personally. They make great hardware. The encoders/sliders have a great feel to them (way better than the Novation's IMO) and I'm sure the pads do to (because it's freaking Akai).

interesting..

can you explain the problems with auto map and why its such a bother? and why the akai would do better?

also does the novation have arpeggiator or any other good features worth mentioning that the akai doesnt have?

i really was leaning towards the novation.. if youve had problems with it id like to hear what kind

thx

interesting..

can you explain the problems with auto map and why its such a bother? and why the akai would do better?

also does the novation have arpeggiator or any other good features worth mentioning that the akai doesnt have?

i really was leaning towards the novation.. if youve had problems with it id like to hear what kind

thx

My main problem with Automap is that, unless you have the pro version (not included with controller), you can't use the software to map the mod wheel or transport controls, only the knobs. If you don't use Automap, then you have to build a template on the device in which you must manually assign all of the knobs and whatnot to separate MIDI CC values or whatever messages you want to send, as new templates just set everything to send the same message for some stupid reason. AND it doesn't load consistently load the last template you had selected upon startup. At least not with the Remote SL.

I don't think it has an arpeggiator either.

I'd say if you like the Novation, go back a generation or two before they started the Automap thing and grab one of the older models.

Otherwise, the Akai is going to feel great and map easily.

allright goin for the akai thanks

No prob. I'm surprised that not many other people chimed in on this thread though.

Guest iamabe

I agree that automap is flawed but I've had luck using it as basically an easy learn / graphical interface for making assignments for like, Massive, etc. Otherwise I use automap ableton templates which work fairly well. It's nice cycling through ableton FX / midi instruments and having everything premapped within the ableton mixer control base.

Also, I really like the look/layout/feel of the remote SL's (and Mk II's). Im sure the AKAI has nice build quality but I dig the novation too.

Archived