IGNORED

Help me identify/value some turntable cartidges?

markedone

I recently picked up a turntable on craigslist, a Technics SL-D3. The guy included 4 cartridges, 2 have needles and 2 do not. So one of my main questions is whether it's worth getting needles for the needleless carts, if they're better than the others. Also, I realize the obvious answer would be 'Try them out!' but this isn't a possibility at the moment, receiver and speakers are elsewhere and I won't have them till the end of summer. AND I wouldn't want to damage my vinyls with questionable needles, which leads to my first general question:

How much does wear on the needles matter to performance, is it worth getting a new needle for any/all of these cartridges?

Online searches have been vague, so I was hoping the fine people here at watmm might be knowledgeable in this subject

First, the turntable just for fun :)

fce800img1670.jpg

2 more:

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/821200img1668.jpg

http://www.cubeupload.com/files/c98a00img1669.jpg

FIRST Cartridge: Audio Technicas AT71

This is the one that was installed on the table when I bought it, I would guess it is one of the better ones? Has a needle, but once again I have no experience judging quality of needles.

da9600img1507.jpg

3cc00img1506.jpg

SECOND Cartridge: Audio Technicas AT11E

The second cartridge that has a needle.

935000img1508.jpg

bd9600img1509.jpg

THIRD Cartridge: Audio Technicas AT12XE

This is the first cartridge without a needle, so I'm wondering if it's better than the others and worth outfitting.

28200img1511.jpg

bf7600img1513.jpg

FOURTH Cartridge: Empire EXL 20 Improved

This cartridge is the only non AT, also needleless, and I'm similarly wondering if it's any good.

78dc00img1671.jpg

Let me know if higher resolution photos are in order, I scaled them for ease of reading. Thanks in advance for any info you can give, I really appreciate it (I've looked and can't find any shop or expert to consult with these questions in this town). Also I realize my questions are specific, but if you have any info you can give on this era of cartridges in general, or a suggestion for the turntable, feel free to fire away.

I can't comment on whether it's worth it to refit the needle-less cartridges with new needles; in my experience, I've replaced the cartridges when the needles have gone bad (is this wasteful?).

You should be able tell if the needles you have are bad by listening to a few records... when mine have started to go bad, it sounds as if there's more surface noise on the record, and occasional skips start to crop in as well.

I can't comment on whether it's worth it to refit the needle-less cartridges with new needles; in my experience, I've replaced the cartridges when the needles have gone bad (is this wasteful?)

I'm still trying to get a sense of the time-scale/lifespan of them. For example, would a needle need replacing after consistent use for.. 1 year? 5 years? 20 years?

You should be able tell if the needles you have are bad by listening to a few records... when mine have started to go bad, it sounds as if there's more surface noise on the record, and occasional skips start to crop in as well.

Good advice which I'll have to try out once I can get all my components together. I've never owned a turntable though, so I wouldn't really know what is an acceptable level of surface noise.

I realize these things are all subjective and tough to explain so thanks for info or insight you guys can give :)

You could always buy a new cartridge, since eventually you will need one, and then compare it to the ones in question. I really like the AT440ML, which is a great sounding cartridge for the price. In my hands (moderate to light use), a cartridge lasts around 1.5 to 2 years.

Archived