IGNORED

things your friends say

Guest disparaissant

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tht tne

i don't have any friends but my dad calls terminal 11 "hell music..." my cousin doesn't like squarepusher because he hates drum machines

I don't get many weird reactions to the more watmm-esque music I listen to because generally the people I share it with are either friends that are already into it, or musicians who are open to pretty much anything interesting that they haven't heard before. I don't really know anyone who's big into the top 40 scene. I guess the funniest reaction I've had from a friend about my music is that it sometimes gives them bad anxiety when it gets intense.

My Dad always,ALWAYS says the same two things if he hears me playing Autechre...

"'kin 'ell sounds like someone pushed the band down the stairs and recorded it."

Or

"Why are you listening to the radio with it un-tuned?"

My brother once asked me "What you listening to shit for?Is it a cult thing?"

First time my friend played me Hafler Trio I put my hands over my ears and shouted at him to turn it off because it was "scary"...I know,I know-I'm such a sap.

Guest beatfanatic

my cousin has a habit of asking me about the concerts I attend and its just gets awkward because she has no idea which band I am talking about. It usually goes like this...

cousin - So who did you go see last night ??

me - I dont think you have heard of them.

cousin - how do you know ? I listen to music too.

me - umm okay, it was Boris*

cousin - I dont think I have heard of them.

me - *internal facepalm*

* I saw Boris last week and they were fantastic.

Guest Calx Sherbet

sophomore year of high school, i was at a pool party. the chick that hosted it was ok, she let me put music on. i put on "gym tonic" by bob sinclar, typical french house tune if you don't know it. immediately, two chicks start complaining that it sounds creepy. seriously, wtf. it made me realize that i shouldn't try to share electronic music with anyone, because they're too satisfied with miley cyrus and rihanna to give a shit.

just ANYTHING like that bothers me the most. i hate it when people dislike something creative and cool JUST because it's creepy/unsettling or worst of all, weird. people are so afraid of obscurity

Guest Calx Sherbet

The worst comment I've ever gotten on my music taste was "Mate, why don't you listen to something normal?". I hated him for saying that.

ouch. i hope you weren't too enraged to actually say something back like... "why?"

I'd have people come over to smoke me up, often people from urban communities. First thing I'd do is show them Windowlicker video. I love the look on their faces, and they dug it too, to a certain degree.

Guest Calx Sherbet

I'd have people come over to smoke me up, often people from urban communities. First thing I'd do is show them Windowlicker video. I love the look on their faces, and they dug it too, to a certain degree.

how CAN'T you enjoy that?

I don't think we should complain about those kinds of reactions because... we all had it.

well of course, but people should at least try something new every once in awhile...it's not that they just don't like it, it's because it's new and different and they refuse to try to "get it", as pretentious as it seems to use that as a reason. it's just, anything that isn't a REALLY easy to follow tempo is "random" by default. it's kind of retarded how little effort people put into understanding something. it's like watching a movie that requires a lot of thinking to enjoy it, try it!

the first "out of the ordinary" electronic music i ever heard (and was aware of it), was PEEK 824545201. i liked it the first time i heard it!

Guest Calx Sherbet

my cousin has a habit of asking me about the concerts I attend and its just gets awkward because she has no idea which band I am talking about.

it's kind of the same for me and people asking me what music i like. i usually just say stuff everyone knows about. it's just too much work to explain other stuff. because then it's just even worse when they ask what kind of music it is. let's go with squarepusher for example. i mean, what do you say? you want to make it simple and just say electronic, but you know what "electronic music" means to most people. it usually means dancey trance techno whatever (i don't know the proper definitions of those kinds of genres, so sorry if i sound like an idiot). now, at this point, you have two choices (assuming you have no immediate way of actually showing them the music).

1. when they ask "like techno?". just say "yea" to make it easier on you, then drop the subject.

2. say "no", and prepare to have a difficult, frustrating mess of conveyance and explanation. which, after awhile, usually just dissolves into method #1 which you coulda done in the first place, lol.

Guest Backson

a friend of mine pleaded with me to shut off Mouse on Mars in my car once, but I wouldn't do it.

good man.

i'm going driving with my sister tonight. I'm going to fight tooth and limb to play The Knife's "Tomorrow In A Year".

ps, this thread make me mad. why can't everyone just get better friends? most of mine empathise with my taste, and I do the same for them.

Guest placidburp

people like the shit that other people like, watch the david firth vid about this shit, hits the nail on the head.

this one? :emotawesomepm9:

[youtubehd]pehHOqx7JXg[/youtubehd]

Guest Calx Sherbet

this thread make me mad. why can't everyone just get better friends? most of mine empathise with my taste, and I do the same for them.

i've never once made fun of anyone for music they like. and i never complain either

"Yeah, you know, that weird crazy music you listen to!"

"This needs some super fast noise music. You know, the music you listen to!"

Both were referencing the Aphex Twin music videos I showed them a month or two back.

Guest disparaissant

this thread make me mad. why can't everyone just get better friends? most of mine empathise with my taste, and I do the same for them.

i've never once made fun of anyone for music they like. and i never complain either

most people i knwo are pretty friendly about it. it's not like RARRRGH YO ULISTEN 2 SHIT it's more like "lol what is this?" and then i say the same about their music? most of my friends are apparently mature enough to look past something so petty?

Dude I know called Mt Saint Michel + Saint Michael's Mount "obnoxious" when I played it once.

We're not friends anymore.

One of my ex's said Aphex Twin was "stupid except the piano songs". We broke up not long after, but I think that was the exact moment I stopped loving her.

Guest cardan

One of my ex's said Aphex Twin was "stupid except the piano songs". We broke up not long after, but I think that was the exact moment I stopped loving her.

lol funny how that works huh

Guest ataraxy2

Watching Gantz Graf: "Insane." Didn't comment on the music, but didn't find it unbearable as they sat through it.

Watching Windowlicker, I turned one of my friends really onto it (more so than me), the others were amused/thought it was catchy.

Random Aphex, mostly gentle stuff: "Sounds really nice."

Showing them a song of mine that was a parody of 80s rap: "Cool. Awesome."

Showing them my other music: "What the hell."

One friend liked the Tangerine Dream/Aphex Twin songs on GTAIV so they'd have positive reactions if I played ambient probably.

One friend I copied my whole digital music collection over to his hard drive often and said "Check these guys out" and pointed out various folders that may interest them. They have occasionally, don't know how often, but it's cool because he actually asked me to give him my music. He must just be interested in sometimes checking different things out. Ambient bores him.

Generally they are pretty accepting of my tastes because I've shown that I like/love many mainstream, well-known artists as well (Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Bjork, random rock/pop/rap/hip-hop songs). I think my variety of taste is what enables them to cope with the "weirder" shit that I listen to, as if "He listens to all that, so why not this?" - it ruins the surprise if I start saying something like "I've being listening to folk" actually, which I did say today.

It also works the other way, some of my friends really like heavier metal/emo of which some songs I don't mind, and if I do I never would complain to them anyway. Diff. strokes diff. folks and all that. Right? Mutual understanding and acceptance. I'm not superior to them simply for *my* tastes.

Reactions outside of my friends? Probably wouldn't be too good.

My parents are accepting of it all. Sister is disgusted. Currently they are confused by me enjoying Joanna Newsom so it's all good fun. :P

I joke often about how messed up Autechre sound and that I'd randomly slice an Ae track in the middle of a party just to see the reactions people would have (which I hope would be utter terror).

(lol @ accepting, yes, my "musicial coming out")

Guest disparaissant

oh one thing i forgot

i've been listening to aphex for years, obviously.

my brother always hated it.

however, he now loves the song windowlicker SOLELY BECAUSE IT WAS IN that awful awful adam sandler flick "grandma's boy."

:facepalm:

he actually changed his ringtone from "kiss me thru the phone" to windowlicker after seeing that movie.

i guess i need to play SAW next time he's rollin, maybe he'll like it.

haha another time him and a friend came home just out of their minds on acid and i played the then-new nosaj thing album for them and they were just in complete and utter awe of it, got a message from his friend the other day on facebook (haven't seen them in about a year now) asking me what "that crazy techno stuff you played us is... no such thing or something? spelled weird?"

Archived