IGNORED

How do people who don't listen to IDM

Guest placidburp

Guest placidburp

I work in a pub and I have my Ipod on through my little speakers, which i don't normally have on that loud. Sometimes when i'm a bit drunk or just want to block out the noise of the arseholes at the bar i will turn it up. Most people don't even respond to it, but some ask me if there is a phone ringing, or make some other twattish comment. Some nob asked me if "the record was stuck!" which normally i would have just ignored but it was actually one of my fucking tunes, so i told him so and he just looked blankly at me. Its as though people just hear noise and nothing else when they hear "electronic music" or any sort of alternative electronic music.

Not that any of my post matters or anything, but anyone else know what i mean?

probably jazzbond or somethink. :/

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot they can't make out the beats or understand what they are hearing because of the textural qualities of lots of more recent electronic music

I find that really cool, I wish I could hear what I thought Autechre sounded like when I hated them...

i know what you mean... i've gotten the "1000 popcorn machines comment" from one guy... "static" from another... and my favorite "ice cream truck music" from when i pulled into work listening to cylobs set at bangface or something!

Guest placidburp
A lot they can't make out the beats or understand what they are hearing because of the textural qualities of lots of more recent electronic music

I find that really cool, I wish I could hear what I thought Autechre sounded like when I hated them...

Yes i know what you mean, i often wonder that about artists or bands i didnt like at first then really started to like months or years after. Like what was i thinking then to how i think now when i like it. if i even make sense. im drunk. ouzo is fucking mad! :d

Guest placidburp
i know what you mean... i've gotten the "1000 popcorn machines comment" from one guy... "static" from another... and my favorite "ice cream truck music" from when i pulled into work listening to cylobs set at bangface or something!

hha yes there are some funny comments people make, i was listening to some richard d james album on my day off in the beer garden of my pub the other day and some guy said it sounded like enya!! I nearly bitch slapped the swine off his seat, instead i made some comment about him being in a punk band and having no taste in music, which was just as ignorant as his comment. but still...........

whenever i see anyone doing anything i think "oh man i'm a dork"

ok

Friend of mine once commented that Aphex Twin sounded like "a bunch of mice playing that crazy bicycle horn instrument that you always see seals playing with". ...?

Guest placidburp
Friend of mine once commented that Aphex Twin sounded like "a bunch of mice playing that crazy bicycle horn instrument that you always see seals playing with". ...?

hahah!

every now and then i make a cd to play at work when its quiet and some crazy 6th former girl commented about a Ochre track that she imagined that it was some guy in the bath and he was trying to play a trumpet and it was making bubbles everywhere and they were in turn making more sounds. . . i was actually sober then and i still dont understand that to this day, anyway she wasnt impressed........ strange girl

Guest placidburp

haha! people are very weird when it comes to music. i mean i hate having the radio on at work(that why i have my tunes with me) but at least when i listen to some awful shit on the radio i know why i hate it.....does that make me an elitist/? suppose im just as bad as everyone else...

I would get a lot of "hey the CD is skipping" comments when playing Nobukazu, lol.

Most other stuff, they wouldn't really know what to say. Once someone said that my music sounds like a washing machine, lol.

A funny story though, I would play Secret Mommy (a local musician in my town) at work, and there was this guy there who loved hardcore metal, and he'd always tell me how much he hated it. Once when he was walking by I was telling him, "Andy Dixon is a great musician!!" (Secret Mommy == Andy Dixon), and he was like WHAT?!?!? Turns out, his favourite band, that he'd always talk about (that I would say how much I hated it) had Andy Dixon as the guitar player, and he really liked him. Lol, instantly we became closer, because we had that connection... ;)

people have said (depending on what i've got one) it's like video game music. i've heard skipping CDs too, funeral music...don't remember what that one was for, possibly Budd/Eno.

playing music at gatherings has always been extremely awkward for me

luckily somehow talking heads got popular again and i don't get odd looks for them anymore

one time in the car when i was driving i left the turn signal on after changing lanes and after a little bit i noticed and turned it off saying "oops" my mom mentioned she thought I had just been listening to autechre

oh, lol once when i worked in Target overnights i played 54 Cyrum Beats for this kid and he says "I don't know whether to laugh or freak out dancing."

years ago, i drove a friend home and this track came on... he had just got braces... he then said... "my teeth hurt!" during the metalic sounding ending!

oh, lol once when i worked in Target overnights i played 54 Cyrum Beats for this kid and he says "I don't know whether to laugh or freak out dancing."

years ago, i drove a friend home and this track came on... he had just got braces... he then said... "my teeth hurt!" during the metalic sounding ending!

ha, yeah that's the part i played for him, the climax of that song. that's what i love about Aphex. he may use an alternative approach but these are still pop songs.

and you've got to name your next EP "y0!", y0.

Guest assegai

A local bar had one of those internet Jukeboxes and I put on Aphex Twin - Parallel Stripes.

I'm not going to say I single-handedly destroyed the mood at the bar but I will hint at it.

Does everyone here hang out with people that have a shit taste in music?

Lol many of my friends may not listen to Aphex Twin etc on a daily basis, but if I play it at the venue my friends run or something no one looks around confused... The only time I got confused looks was when I did an acid techno set at this bar, but it was mainly stupid yuppies coming in to dance to shit music...

Archived