IGNORED

Andrei Tarkovsky

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest ruiagnelo

my favourite i think... the most beautiful/saddest films

mirror, stalker and andrei rublev are probably my favourites.

is his book translated then? i'm sure i looked that up a few years ago and though it was only in russian at that point.

those polaroids are unsurprisingly great looking... some of it inherent in the medium i guess, but they all look like stills from a film too. i think the best thing about polaroids for me is definitely the square frame. there's something much more cosy about a square frame - 6x4 or other rectangular formats suit sweeping landscapes and things but i think the square beats them for domestic type things.

landscapes fit great on square frames too. it's just a matter of balance and composition.

the rectangular shape is the one that best simulates our biological eye framing, but there are paintings and photography that seem to have been created exclusively to be enframed on a square.

film, on the other hand, would be very hard to develop in such frame. i guess it's something related to motion.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest disparaissant

I decided to test out that "freeze frame = art" theory. It holds up.

I skipped around randomly and just took screen shots without even looking. This is what I got:

tumblr_l8kyxt0Yx41qbzdb0.png

THE MIRROR (1975)

tumblr_l8kyy7Uqyc1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kyyhcgy51qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kyyu5OZV1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kyz8zwkB1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kyznhHb91qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kyzvaTmP1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz06xV7o1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz0hinCD1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz0rlT2H1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz123f141qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz1fjts41qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz1txHky1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz26wsjA1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz2iJpwN1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz2u4UAK1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz38VEN61qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz3mUt9L1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz46sYKF1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz4ktS0k1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz52UtBM1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz5hwIbj1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz5vSGJu1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz66jPqq1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz72entC1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz8uurKz1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kz9qqI4P1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kza6iekO1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kzalBrrl1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8kzba5WPG1qbzdb0.png

seriously only like two of those don't look like carefully composed still photographs.

Guest disparaissant

did the same with andrei rublev, doesn't hold up quite as well but still quite stunning

tumblr_l8l1d95LG11qbzdb0.png

Andrei Rublev, 1968

tumblr_l8l1diUG1f1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1dqWlkC1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1dyoXix1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1e56wLX1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1eefKPP1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1elJj601qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1esNFnb1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1f0z3cL1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1faYaKS1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1fhzabA1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hjJ3Ik1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hqc2PS1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hxzC6H1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1i4C9oK1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1ibXVep1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iifiEm1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iqWKEX1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iyKdZc1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1j5NIMD1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jf4IF51qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jpHMSh1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jz2lug1qbzdb0.png

it was filmed ~9 years before the mirror though, so yeah.

Guest ruiagnelo

I decided to test out that "freeze frame = art" theory. It holds up.

it's not strictly like this.

you don't simply make art out of film screens, i guess.

but that really shows how each of those sequences and shots were planned to the smallest detail.

and how about that movie, you enjoyed it?

did the same with andrei rublev, doesn't hold up quite as well but still quite stunning

tumblr_l8l1d95LG11qbzdb0.png

Andrei Rublev, 1968

tumblr_l8l1diUG1f1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1dqWlkC1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1dyoXix1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1e56wLX1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1eefKPP1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1elJj601qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1esNFnb1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1f0z3cL1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1faYaKS1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1fhzabA1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hjJ3Ik1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hqc2PS1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1hxzC6H1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1i4C9oK1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1ibXVep1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iifiEm1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iqWKEX1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1iyKdZc1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1j5NIMD1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jf4IF51qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jpHMSh1qbzdb0.png

tumblr_l8l1jz2lug1qbzdb0.png

it was filmed ~9 years before the mirror though, so yeah.

those might not look so good, but it's the color that is missing.

the compositions here are also amazing.

Guest disparaissant

yeah i dont mean that just taking a freeze frame = art, i just didn't feel like typing out what you said. each frame is pretty much perfectly composed.

and yeah, ive seen the films i've done this to, i had them sitting on a DVD from a while back actually. but ive honestly only seen stalker, solaris, the mirror, and andrei rublov. what should i try next?

Guest ruiagnelo

yeah i dont mean that just taking a freeze frame = art, i just didn't feel like typing out what you said. each frame is pretty much perfectly composed.

and yeah, ive seen the films i've done this to, i had them sitting on a DVD from a while back actually. but ive honestly only seen stalker, solaris, the mirror, and andrei rublov. what should i try next?

offret (translated The Sacrifice) and nostalgia.

these are kind of different in terms of language. the first one was filmed in swedish and the second in italian.

wry Russian sarcasm

interesting..im russian, wry and sarcastic and i've never felt that in his films, which one exactly ?

he's certainly not the funniest director, but there's wry sarcasm in Stalker from the writer character, and to a lesser degree the stalker guy himself. I was trying to find the right way to say it. It's that russian sort of "humor", deriving some small entertainment value from pessimism/fatalism about the human condition. I guess it's present in jewish humor too come to think of it. I'm no expert.

Also, though Tarkovsky is no Beckett, I think there's some underlying absurdist humor in Stalker, simply by the fact that

when all is said and done, after all that talking, none of them have the balls to enter the room

Guest Panthroid

Some of the work of Béla Tarr should appeal to Tarkovsky fans. Werckmeister Harmonies, Damnation and Satantango in particular. Tarr works on a similar level of skill and control when it comes to long slow shots. Content-wise, the main difference is that Tarr's movies avoid the blatant spiritual connotations.

Rewatched The Sacrifice yesterday. Still mindblowingly great. The story itself was a lot more comprehensible than I remembered, which makes it all the more admirable.

On the other hand, there were a few scenes where I really had the feeling he was stretching things out, making it unnecessarily long/slow. Like the part where the postman-friend tries to explain to Alexander that he needs to go see Maria, but Alexander doesn't seem to understand what he means. That scene seems to have a reason to be played out the way it is, but I can't figure out what it is. And the ending

When the house is burning and the ambulance arrives there's A LOT of running back and forth, which sort of works for the scene, up to a certain point where you can't help thinking Tarkovsky instructed his actors to just keep doing random shit because he probably wanted to see the building collapse within the same take. Sure, this probably isn't a very Tarkovsky-thing to do, but it sorta felt that way... that particular scene wouldn't have suffered from being just a few pans back & forth shorter. The whole ambulance-thing came across more akwardly than it should have. I would have liked it better if it were a bit more kick-in-the-face what-the-hell-just-happened. But of course, who am I to question Andrei.

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~tstronds/nostalghia.com/TheTopics/Symbols.html

"We can express our feelings regarding the world around us either by poetic or by descriptive means. I prefer to express myself metaphorically. Let me stress: metaphorically, not symbolically. A symbol contains within itself a definite meaning, certain intellectual formula, while metaphor is an image. An image possessing the same distinguishing features as the world it represents. An image — as opposed to a symbol — is indefinite in meaning. One cannot speak of the infinite world by applying tools that are definite and finite. We can analyse the formula that constitutes a symbol, while metaphor is a being-within-itself, it's a monomial. It falls apart at any attempt of touching it. "

Guest ansgaria

how about jodorowsky? he's not too terribly far off early tarkovsky, cinematically. his ideas are certainly different haha.

The Holy Mountain might be the most mindfucking movie I've ever seen.

Guest ruiagnelo

haven't heard about that docu yet, glad you posted this info.

also, the last guy talking in the trailer really resembles the director and is named tarkovsky as well. possibly his son?

This needs bumping, I went ahead and watched The Mirror last night. Oh dear lawwdd it was fucking incredible. There are so many shots that had me in a trance, eyes glued to the screen. Watching the film was like trying to recall a dream and trying to decipher the meaning behind it. Every little detail has such significance.

I'll probably have to watch Stalker again sometime, but right now the Mirror is on top.

Solaris still to be watched.

Okay, so I don't have The Mirror on DVD and I want it, but the reviews of the DVD on Amazon are discouraging. Does anyone know if Criterion plans on putting it out or does anyone know of a reputable DVD that I can buy. The Kino release seems to be the one that is easily accessible but many have complained about the translation and quality of the DVD itself.

Archived