IGNORED

Mc PC is up to fucked up shit lately

Terpentintollwut

i had a problem like this before, turns out it was zone alarm...

search for a file called tvDebug.log - mine was up around 4 gig

go here for a fix

forums.techguy.org

if its not that, do a search on your machine for *.* but use advanced search and only show files modified in the last day or so and only show files larger than 1mb, then sort by size and you should be able to find the culprit - thats how i found tvdebug.log

thinking about it, I think I manually deleted some of these at some point, shortly before the problems started. Maybe it's trying to re-create some files and keeps constantly screwing up, resulting in incomplete files on the C-drive once in a while that lead to scandisk?

I did the same search you did before, tvdebug did come up, but I ignored it as I thought I had already dealt with it. Maybe I was wrong and should completely un- and then re-install ZoneAlarm...

the scandisk shows problems upon scanning or no?

there are never any problems coming up.

I'm starting to believe that I am dealing with two separate issues. One could be ZoneAlarm. The other one is probably down to some codec-related issue like I had years ago with the KLite codec pack. Cause my explorer only crashes when there's divx files involved. I can see no codecs in the list of installed software, but under divx I found a "DivX Plus Codec Pack" - I'm thinking it could be the bitch here. Trying to get it removed now ...

oh, so you ARE using zonealarm. uninstall, test. if it seems ok, install microsoft security essentials (tagline: "it's microsoft, but it's actually good!") instead. if you're paranoid about firewalls, maybe sygate personal firewall (development discontinued, but still the best firewall i've used. wish it was win 7 compatible).

Yeah I am still using Zone Alarm right now, I think I wrote it on page 1 somewhere. Sygate sounds good, I won't be switching to Win7 soon as my favorite video editing software doesn't run on it. I shall try tomorrow, or, actually I don't want to be spending Christmas (it's all about the 24th here) with PC-stuff, instead I want to be eating lots and shooting some Alien monsters later on. But I'll be coming back to this, thank you!

I'm pretty sure that DivX Plus codec was the fucker responsible for VLC and explorer crashes, right after I got rid of it, VLC opened in less than a second as it used to. With the codec installed it'd take 5-10 seconds. And a program I used to burn DVD's with works again, too. Stupid codec packs. Will tackle ZoneAlarm soon.

Download sysinternals suite, load up procmon, filter show only disk writes. Look for anything out of the ordinary that is writing to disk. Also how much of your ram capacity is being used? Could be a virtual memory space that is expanding as someone else pointed out.

Not sure about the RAM capacity, I know I got 1 Gig of RAM, it says in the task manager "847 M" - could that be it? It used to be less I think.

sysinternals suite, will it log the disc writes? Cause I got a feeling these processes whatever they are are only running for a very brief amount of time and can't be caught in the act like that.

Yeah it logs everything. The whole v-memory thing I don't really understand the ins and outs of on windows systems, except its stored in C:\pagefile.sys, I remember XP always used to tell me when it was increasing the virtual memory. To know whats going on with that I would need some hands on sleuthing. Double check the system restore thing too.

Archived