IGNORED

Give me mastering & mixing feedback

ryancolecreate

So I'm working on an EP with an animator friend (Juice Foozle) and I'm to the phase of getting all the tracks together. I've done a few little ghettoy release things but this time I'm trying to raise the bar on production.

Here is some of his stuff to give you some context.

tumblr_lci86c0Lta1qd6n9jo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l7ne219XKC1qd6n9jo1_250.gif

640916630_5708c58e3f.jpg

tumblr_l6xiyzgjpM1qd6n9jo1_500.jpg

Anyways, here are the tracks.

Fat Pack

http://www.tellmesomethingnice.com/tunes/ep/fat_pack_2.mp3

Foamy

http://www.tellmesomethingnice.com/tunes/ep/foamy_1.mp3

I'm happy with the direction, and now I'm trying to make them sound really good.

Does it sound too wimpy? Too bassy? Too gay? Tell me about it. :)

Guest Babaluma

Is there any way to download these files? If you want an honest mix opinion, I'll have to play them on the studio PC (which is not connected to the internet) over the main monitors.

Also, you kind of lost me at "too gay"?

Is there any way to download these files? If you want an honest mix opinion, I'll have to play them on the studio PC (which is not connected to the internet) over the main monitors.

Also, you kind of lost me at "too gay"?

Download #1

Download #2

There you go.

Guest Babaluma

just listened in the studio, comments:

fat pack

nice dynamic range, especially on the square wave acid line, i love the way it jumps out of the speakers at some points! the overall mix was very good, but slightly lacking in "air" and sounding a little muddy in the lower mid range, very common with home produced/ITB digital mixes, and nothing that wouldn't be an easy fix. looks like you didn't use any peak limiting, i like it. ;)

foamy

lovely mix, lovely track, love your melodies, great samples. same overall "sound" as the previous track. my "mastering ears" are telling me to cut some around 250-500Hz, and apply a shelving boost around 15kHz. also, you have a few digital overs, again this should be an easy fix (try pulling every individual track down by 1dB, your master fader should be able to remain at 0 without any digital overs). again, looks like you didn't use any peak limiting, and again, i like it. ;)

i'd say you were well on the way to producing high quality music without resorting in any way to the "loudness wars", which in my book, and in this day and age, is extremely applaudable! :sorcerer:

regarding both tracks:

technical mix quality: 7/10. subjective enjoyment: 9/10.

this is great stuff! it reminds me a little of some of the happier/more uplifting old black dog and boc tracks.

i would be happy to master one of these tracks for free for you, if you'd send me a high quality file.

all the best,

gregg

wow thanks guys. LOL I just threw a string of adjectives out there. :D Thanks for the super detailed feedback on them. I'd love to have one or two mastered. Wouldn't even mind paying a little really. Even just to hear what a track of mine should sound like. :) You would just want a single HQ wav or something? Not each track separate? Either way is easy enough. Thanks again man. :)

Your right, no limiting. :) A bit of compression, but only on the 303 really, and that's more of an effect. I agree that there is a little lack of air, but I'm a bit unsure of how to achieve that... I guess a bit more dynamic range? I'm trying to get some fat sub-loving bass without it eating too much. Guess it's a bit much in that area though. I'd have to agree.

they sound like if i could touch them, i a gay way, top notch man

reminded me of MoM, in a good way

nice! MoM is definitely an influence on them.

Guest Babaluma

i don't really like doing stem mastering, it takes a lot longer, costs a lot more, and blurs the line between mixing and mastering. i always prefer to work on a finished stereo mix down. happy to do one for free! gonna be away at the inlaws for a few days for new year, but could probably have it done soon after that.

air eq is usually something applied at the mastering stage, but if you like, try putting a really high quality plugin eq over the whole mix, choose a high shelving or baxendall typoe curve, and experiment with a little boost (no more than a couple of dB) anywhere from 8k up to 15k or even higher.

Guest Babaluma

Hey Dude!

Yep, back at home now! Please send the link and I'll have it back to you ASAP!

All the best,

Gregg

Archived