IGNORED

Arturia vintage emulations

kcinsu

Ok.. so I'm looking at perhaps getting some of these... I want something that has more character... I know you can never fully capture analoge with digital, but I've accepted that, and I want an emulation. So that said... how are these? I know the moog modular is a cpu hoog, and I assume the others are too... but does anyone have any experience, and can tell me how much cpu each one uses, roughly? and how good, and etc.. and basically, if you reccomend any.

the ones im interested in, in order of wanting the most, to least:

Prophet V

CS-80 V

Minimoog

Arp 2600 V

Moog Modular V

thanks!

i have the cs80v, arp2600v and minimoog v.

they are probably my 3 favourite vstis at the moment, really love them all. arturia really do have their own style when it comes to gui - can be bit fiddly, but overall very slick and a joy to use. their TAE modelling system seems to allow for much richer and textural timbres compared to other soft synths.

the minimoog is a bit of a hog, has more effect on my cpu than any other plugin by far...sometimes adds 30-40% onto my cpu load in ableton live when i have other stuff on the go and some effects...but sounds so lush i usually percevere and bounce down to audio early on anyway.

the cs80 and arp2600 are superb too - could write an album purely off the presets...no shit.

recommend them whole heartedly and suspect they will be right up your street.

the moog modular V is probably the best value for money and it sounds pretty wicked. all of them sound nice, maybe not EXACTLY like the originals, but very nice nonetheless. the GUI's are *too* fancy maybe (use too much CPU and are fiddly, specially the CS80 in higher resolutions). but if you hook up a nice midi-controller to one of those synths, play it with a nice keyboard with low latency and treat them with some quality chorus+reverb, your probably instantly hooked

yeah, after checking out all the demos on arturias site, the CS-80v is now on the top of my list... holy shit it sounds great. I'm not a gear junky, who knows the piece of gear who used on what album... so when I heard the CS-80v's demo, I was like "HOLY SHIT ITS VANGELIS!"

which = must have it.

yeah, Im thinking of using my tax return to get probably the cs-80v, the prophet v, and the minimoog. (gonna use academic supertore... nice discounts!)

ism... what are your computer specs? just to reference the 30-40% of your CPU for the minimoog...

nice, I was right about vangelis. did a google for vangelis and cs80, and found this pic with the caption "vangelis using his favorite synth: the cs80"

vangelis.jpg

Guest aeser
Ok.. so I'm looking at perhaps getting some of these... I want something that has more character... I know you can never fully capture analoge with digital, but I've accepted that, and I want an emulation. So that said... how are these? I know the moog modular is a cpu hoog, and I assume the others are too... but does anyone have any experience, and can tell me how much cpu each one uses, roughly? and how good, and etc.. and basically, if you reccomend any.

the ones im interested in, in order of wanting the most, to least:

Prophet V

CS-80 V

Minimoog

Arp 2600 V

Moog Modular V

thanks!

i use and love moog modular V if you wanted to check it out sometime. it is not too bad of a cpu hog on my dual g5.

Ah cool man. Well, we actually have the modulars installed in my schools lab, so I should probably go sit down for awhile and mess with it. But yeah, I seriously think us Boston watmmers should meet up

oh, I intend to.. but I also like to get other peoples thoughts... stuff that might only be apparent after working with something for a long period of time...

cs-80v was my favorite vst

until?

until I got a nord modular and stopped using VSTis. Nevertheless, the cs-80v is a great sounding plug-in. You can make beautiful pads and leads with it and pull of some wacky shit with the modulation matrix.

cs-80v was my favorite vst

until?

until I got a nord modular and stopped using VSTis. Nevertheless, the cs-80v is a great sounding plug-in. You can make beautiful pads and leads with it and pull of some wacky shit with the modulation matrix.

ah cool. the modulars are awesome... but Im too addicted to softsynths... the total integration, and the unlimited amount you can use (well, with in your CPU's range). Id get a g2, only after having all the softsynths I want, and it wouldnt be the center of my synthesis.. itd be a nice bonus

i have the cs80v, arp2600v and minimoog v.

they are probably my 3 favourite vstis at the moment, really love them all. arturia really do have their own style when it comes to gui - can be bit fiddly, but overall very slick and a joy to use. their TAE modelling system seems to allow for much richer and textural timbres compared to other soft synths.

the minimoog is a bit of a hog, has more effect on my cpu than any other plugin by far...sometimes adds 30-40% onto my cpu load in ableton live when i have other stuff on the go and some effects...but sounds so lush i usually percevere and bounce down to audio early on anyway.

the cs80 and arp2600 are superb too - could write an album purely off the presets...no shit.

recommend them whole heartedly and suspect they will be right up your street.

agreed

love the arp2600 - could play with that one for days on end

ism... what are your computer specs? just to reference the 30-40% of your CPU for the minimoog...

vaio a215m with intel m processor 725 centrino running at 1.6GHz with 2mb cache and 1Gb Ram (pc2700).

Does anybody use these in FL studio? i downloaded the demo for the ARP2600V and whenever i tried to use it as a VST it causes FL to crash. is it problems with the wraper FL uses or am i setting something wrong or what?

the problem with trying to recreate a cs80.. (none on hiscores as far as i can tell.. in fact, i've never heard a cs80 in any boc..).. is that the best thing about it is that it's unstable... you can program a patch, and then leave it for a couple of hours, and then come back to something totally different, plus it's impossible to keep in tune when it heats up... makes for great de-tuned sounds. thus a vst can't really re-create the behaviour.

i love the arturia minimoog v though.. i've got another minimoog vst but i can't remember who makes it.

why shouldn't a vst be able to re-create such unreliable behaviour? arturia uses loads of algorhythms to simulate the detuning of the original CS80-components and the 'drifting' of the sound.. that's exactly the thing that makes some of those emulations so exciting.. some vst's/VAs even have elaborate options to control the stability of the synth..

i love the arturia minimoog v though.. i've got another minimoog vst but i can't remember who makes it.

G-Media Minimonsta? I slightly prefer the sound of the filter on this one, and I think it has more flexible modulation options as well.

Archived