IGNORED

30 day music challenge

kaini

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

day 26 - a song that you can play on an instrument

At 5:25, another layer comes in which harmonizes with the main melody. I can play both layers on a piano/keyboard at the same time, and I guess I could sing the vocals too if I tried.

day 27 - a song that you wish you could play

This is one of my all-time favourite pieces by Philip Glass. It is rich with complexity, making use of polyrhythms and harmonics. Trying to perform this piece is no picnic, since it involves lightning-fast arpeggios, and playing eighth notes simultaneously with triplets.

It can be frustrating, but a lot of fun to attempt to play this piece. However, it takes a lot of practice, and not only do you have to play layers of different rhythms, but there are upwards of FOUR layers to play. I sometimes wonder if the layers or the recording above were performed individually and merged together...

Kind of embarrassing having to make two posts in a row. Anyway:

day 28 - a song that makes you feel guilty

There was a distant time when I thought this was amongst the greatest pieces of music ever written. Why? Because it had swear words in it. At that age, swearing was all the range, and me and my girlfriend would sit on the bus and listen to this kind of music together, enjoying every obscenity like it was the coolest and funniest thing in the world.

At one point, it drove me to write a series of song lyrics. They were abominable. I shit you not, I wrote a song where the chorus was "fuck" repeated 32 times, with no melody or any other redeeming qualities whatsoever. I'm glad I'm past that.

And finally...

day 30 - your favorite song at this time last year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwtVJ6OFlR8

I can't remember exactly what my favourite track was in 04/10, since it's something I have to think hard about. But I know I really, really loved this track.

This 30 day music challenge has been a great experience. Mad props to kaini for starting it, and thanks to everyone who contributed. I think we've learned a lot about each other from the choice we've made.

Archived