IGNORED

30 day music challenge

kaini

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

day 14 - a song that no one would expect you to love

My sister was listening to it around 2008, and I started to like it. It surprised me, but it's actually really good.

jesus, troon, i was merely pointing out that it should be *one* song per day.

and now back to your regularly scheduled 30 day music challenge.

day 15 - a song that describes you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yR-kK9gTI

Philip Glass - Music In Contrary Motion

When I say this track describes me, I'm talking about the actual construction of the track. 'Contrary Motion' has two main layers of melody, both playing up and down (like a wave) from A to E. The higher layer will always play the opposite of the lower layer, such that A will always counter E, B will always counter D, and C will counter C. As such, these layers appear to have symmetry, and they sound wonderful together. There is also a bass, which just plays a low A when a bar is played, and an even lower E when the melodic layers switch octaves and repeat.

For me, this track represents the violent clashing of two powerful, opposing forces: good and evil, black and white, love and fear, yin and yang. I have Manic Depression, and before I was treated, I used to have mood swings, switching from high to low, and anywhere in between. I know what it's like to live with that juxtaposition, to feel so many different states at once. This track embodies the duality of my life and, to some extent, everyone's.

day 16 - a song that you used to love but now hate

When I was 9 I fell in love with this 13 year old girl on the bus, and she introduced me to her style of music: heavy metal, guitar, lyrics with lots of profanity etc.

This was a good song for us to listen to together, giggling at the swear words and enjoying something that resembles a decent electric guitar. Now that I'm older, I realise just how utterly shit this track is. Nothing but a bunch of glans-headed, shaft-necked twats screaming about how they're better than everyone else.

Archived