IGNORED

Newsgroups

TiffanyHalderman

In the early days of the internet when I was younger, my uncle used to download and burn playstation games for me, and he mentioned at the time that he used something called Newsgroups. As I understand it, they have been around since pre-browser internet and are the first stop for just about any media content on the web. I had never tried the service, going from napster>adiogalaxy>directconnect>kazaa>slsk>torrents for all of my internet downloadings, as they charge a monthly fee. Recently, I was at a friends house and they were streaming large bluray rips from rars downloading from newsgroups and I decided I would take the plunge and purchase an account with Giganews. Everything has been pretty awesome so far using the sabnzbd (thanks watmm) client for firefox, all of my downloads max out my bandwidth (around 3.5MBps) and it's rare that I can't find what I'm looking for. I use binsearch to search for files but feel there has to be something better. Do any of you use Newsgroups, and if so do you have any info/advice for a Newsgroup Newbie?

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I used to use newsgroups just for the message board functionality back when your isp provided access to them.

There was a time (circa 1995-2003ish) where I was this massive Usenet fan. I would spend at least half of my time on various alt's and rec's. It was a wretched hive of scum and villainy, but civilised ;)

Guest Donkey Rhubarb

Been using it for years. Giganews and newsleecher with super search. I use vcd quality and sceper website to see latest releases then search using the newsleecher client. Piece of piss.

Guest Dirty Protest

I miss the 90s, when getting in here(the wider here) required a certain level of intelligence. Fuck plug and play, these days its mostly populated by binary of thought bellends.

I remember when all this was open fields, grumble, grumble, mumble........

Guest futuregirlfriend

nzb.su, nzbmatrix, binsearch and kleverig :whistling: is all that I use with sabnzbd and couchpotato. You could try setting up Sick Beard with sabnzbd to automate tv downloads. I haven't tried it, too many steps in the alpha's setup for me to bother just yet.

Yeah a lot of hidden gems on the Usenet. It's also fun to look back at it's early days in the early 1980's, there are original reviews of Return of the Jedi per example (on rassm). I think I posted around 40 000 posts on the Usenet. The tree structure made it for great discussions, you had to use a lot of rhetorics, it was a great debate learning bed.

The tree structure made it for great discussions

until some cunt crossposted something to 25 seemingly random groups, anyway

caused a lot of unintentional group invasions

nzb.su, nzbmatrix, binsearch and kleverig :whistling: is all that I use with sabnzbd and couchpotato. You could try setting up Sick Beard with sabnzbd to automate tv downloads. I haven't tried it, too many steps in the alpha's setup for me to bother just yet.

I was able to setup and configure Sick Beard in the same time it took me to finish a beer. It was a bit quirky early on but with the latest updates I have had zero issues with it.

Guest futuregirlfriend

Is there a way to run it in the background at boot like sab, i.e not have to keep a cmd window open?

Mine has always ran in background... I added a shortcut to the exe in my startup folder so I have to log in for it to run, sadly it cannot be ran as a service, at least not that I have found.

Guest hahathhat

e-mail lists largely replaced usenet in my book. my isp was never generous enough to allow me to do much pirating, either -- i went to IRC for that.

Archived